iSnowmobile App improvement

Blake G

I read that new improvements had recently been made to the iSnowmobile App - - the one that allows smartphones to access to the OFSC Interactive Trail Guide. So....I replaced my existing version with the new version.....and was very pleased to find it now displays the trails more quickly (once the program initially loads).

I can use my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) to pan more quickly to trails in different parts of the province, or zoom in and out faster than with the previous version. I'm looking forward to making better use of the app this winter.

Some of you might want to give the app another look. Available for download from the OFSC website for a nominal fee.

I wonder if I have that version or the previous .... I was just piddling around with it, very slow and keeps bailing on me.  It appears to be Version 2.5 in the app info ... which version have you got ?

Version 2.5 is the one I have too. It works quite well on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

Very happy with it on my Galaxy S4.. have the Apple version on my iPad and it seems to work nicer over there as well.

OK!

Been waiting to look into the Android side of trail maps....

Here's the $64 question... Does it work off-line, ie: can you cache maps, or do you need a data connection?

I REALLY wondered why anyone would bother setting up a system that only worked within range of a tower... I get the attraction to real time updates, etc. etc. but if it doesn't work off-line, I really have no use for it.

I guess its not for everyone. I make good use of it in places with cell service.

Most times I use the interactive trail guide on a home computer to check trail status before setting out on my ride. I then email myself screen captures of the current conditions, and then download the images onto my phone before departing.

If there's an update to the app, wouldn't our phones catch it, and auto download or remind the user?

If there's an update to the app, wouldn't our phones catch it, and auto download or remind the user?

Yes it does. Mine updated to 2.5v on Nov 10 2015.

Thanks Paul!

I remember mine updating too.  It just seems sluggish when I tried it... maybe something else running in the background... Galaxy S4 with lots of free space (I checked).

It wouldn't be impossible to have the tracks, POI and a basic map background available offline, if they wanted it to be used as such .... I don't believe they intended it for live use on the trail, while riding, but more at rest stops and for planning, etc.

Just checked mine. I'm at 2.3 on my iPhone.

How do u find out what version? I'm using iPhone

Go to the App store and click on purchased. All your apps will come up and show the version. Depending on which iPhone or iPad you will either have a purchased icon at the bottomm of the app store page or you will have to click on updates and then you will find purchased at the top of the page.

Thanks for the help

OK!

Been waiting to look into the Android side of trail maps....

Here's the $64 question... Does it work off-line, ie: can you cache maps, or do you need a data connection?

I REALLY wondered why anyone would bother setting up a system that only worked within range of a tower... I get the attraction to real time updates, etc. etc. but if it doesn't work off-line, I really have no use for it.

No it doesn't work off line..But if you open and load it well in a service area, and leave it running, it does keep that data.

Not much for real time updates as well.. However it's more up to date as far as trail go then a printed map. And does track your GPS position if you need to figure out where you are,or want to go. In service areas. Which a large number of the trails are covered by cell service.

Well, I'm making the switch to Android from Blackberry and this thread is fantastic.

Ordered a Note 5 from Rogers this week. Saw the product at a Samsung store at Sherway Gardens (Toronto); yoot showed me how to capture screen shots and then make notations with the S-Pen. We were using the OFSC interactive guide, not the App, as a sample in the store. Sold!

One comment - during my 'mall' visit, I went to Apple as well. The Apple mini (never did try it on the bigger Iphone) seemed to load faster than the Samsung (Android). However, not a fan of the Apple mobile products, so Samsung it is. The speed difference was likely wifi related.

Thanks, Blake. I'll load the app when I get the Note 5 (10 day backorder).

I used this 2 years ago.  We were a little lost around Lively and then again around Kirkland Lake.  I used the app, for a while, the cost of being lost $200.  Riding Northern Ontario trails - Priceless!

Same here!?!  

Maybe the Apple Update is later?

Just checked mine. I'm at 2.3 on my iPhone.

I'm making the switch to Android from Blackberry and this thread is fantastic.

Snicker, snicker........

Has anybody tried Snow Trail (app) backed by Polaris? You can track your ride and it supposedly works offline. Some other neat features as well.

Snicker, snicker........

Welcome to 2015? 

Has anybody tried Snow Trail (app) backed by Polaris? You can track your ride and it supposedly works offline. Some other neat features as well.

I have it on my phone. It uses the GPS signal and kills the battery very quickly!

Well, I'm making the switch to Android from Blackberry and this thread is fantastic.

Ordered a Note 5 from Rogers this week. Saw the product at a Samsung store at Sherway Gardens (Toronto); yoot showed me how to capture screen shots and then make notations with the S-Pen. We were using the OFSC interactive guide, not the App, as a sample in the store. Sold!

One comment - during my 'mall' visit, I went to Apple as well. The Apple mini (never did try it on the bigger Iphone) seemed to load faster than the Samsung (Android). However, not a fan of the Apple mobile products, so Samsung it is. The speed difference was likely wifi related.

Thanks, Blake. I'll load the app when I get the Note 5 (10 day backorder).

If you like to control your phone you'll enjoy the Samsung. Apple does seem to have a more solid and stable OS. But it's so locked down you loose alot of the ability to access the file structure amd move things around should you want too. Limiting what you can do maybe the reason the Apple seems to run smother.

I've owned them all,and far enjoy the Samsung over the others.

I have it on my phone. It uses the GPS signal and kills the battery very quickly!

true but if you shut off your location services that will shut off all your gps tracking it'll help on the battery a bit and when you need it just turn on location services. Thats on the iphone of course. 

If you like to control your phone you'll enjoy the Samsung. Apple does seem to have a more solid and stable OS. But it's so locked down you loose alot of the ability to access the file structure amd move things around should you want too. Limiting what you can do maybe the reason the Apple seems to run smother.

I've owned them all,and far enjoy the Samsung over the others.

I too have tried them all.  I found the Samsung was slow and full of bloat-ware that I didn't have any use for.  The Android is also prone to viruses/adware (whatever you want to call it).  So then you'll need to load anti-Ad-ware software to run constantly chewing battery life.  I'm a hater of Apple for the reason stated, way too locked down and no user control.  As I mature I find I just want my phone to work and the battery to last.  The stability of the iPhone outweighed the need to "Control" the phone.

Blackberry is unfortunately dead and a resurrection is very unlikely unless it manages a comeback with Android OS.

Archived