2016 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

The B trail from Whitney is beat to crap as well same with Dorset and baysville. Nothing held up well with all the traffic and warm weather.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat to crap! Lakes are great though. B from carnarvon to hawk lake is garbage very large sections still have yet to see a groomer. Very large 3 foot moguls. Very slow! E trail was decent today and trail 4 was suprisgly good considering the lack of snow.

That section of B is listed as green!? Surprising that a Top trail can go pretty much a full season without grooming and be a green. At least the East side of HCSA has been good this year. The challenge has been getting there from where I am.

Jrhz06 I can't believe the trail has been green this year it crazy! Not sure what is going on but something isn't right. They can say swamps, water whatever it's been like that all year not groomed once and it's part of the rap tour. Seems the east side is getting way way more attention this year period. All I keep hearing is the b to whitney is groomed or being groomed.

Beat to crap! Lakes are great though. B from carnarvon to hawk lake is garbage very large sections still have yet to see a groomer. Very large 3 foot moguls. Very slow! E trail was decent today and trail 4 was suprisgly good considering the lack of snow.

That section of B is listed as green!? Surprising that a Top trail can go pretty much a full season without grooming and be a green. At least the East side of HCSA has been good this year. The challenge has been getting there from where I am.

This section of trail is the "Orphan Child" of the HCSA - Unloved, unwanted, unnoticed, uncared for. B has been crap from Tulip Rd. to Little Hawk for years. The trail needs infrastructure, improvements and attention - unacceptable for a Top Trail as well as a vital link trail. Makes HCSA look bad. ( Sorry, I am ranting again, just my 2 cents, I mean nickel )

There is one swampy section but its probably pretty solid by now and if not there is a bypass around it that they cut a number of years ago. It almost looks like the groomer, without drag, used the bypass very early into the season. I could be wrong but I think that section of the B from Carnarvon to Hawk Lk. has only seen the groomer once this season and that was without a drag. I'm sure its been a tough year, low snow, rain, warm temps and who knows what else within the club but it seems odd that Kinmount to Whitney gets groomed every couple of days and this side of the system doesn't get groomed at all with the exception of trail 15. Livin' may be able to shed some light onto the subject. 

Some questions need to be answered! There are a lot of unhappy sledders if you stop and talk to them at hawk lake, minden shell station, xtr gas station in haliburton everone is complaining about the neglected west side. Things were going great and now seems to be going backwards like a few years ago when the president was more concerned about promoting his business then trail conditions.

Same. Was thinking of running from Lindsay to Hali for a quick run before the rain..

Went from lindsay to kinmount today around noon was pretty rough. Next to no snow on my way back. Bare trail on both sides of Ken Reid bridge. Green sections no better than the yellow to the south it might even be worse. Moved a bunch of small trees and branches that were down couldn't believe the amount of people just driving over them.

Moved a bunch of small trees and branches that were down couldn't believe the amount of people just driving over them.

:right_on:

I've seen the same w/ the big rocks that the groomer kicks up. Folks just ride around them & leave them laying there as a bad hazard.

Thanks for update on Lindsay rail trail.

Perhaps I'll skip the ride tomorrow..

Just checking update. Doesn't sound very good. I guess even going north from Fenelon is rough. Maybe wait till next week and see if we get the snow there calling for.

There is one swampy section but its probably pretty solid by now and if not there is a bypass around it that they cut a number of years ago. It almost looks like the groomer, without drag, used the bypass very early into the season. I could be wrong but I think that section of the B from Carnarvon to Hawk Lk. has only seen the groomer once this season and that was without a drag. I'm sure its been a tough year, low snow, rain, warm temps and who knows what else within the club but it seems odd that Kinmount to Whitney gets groomed every couple of days and this side of the system doesn't get groomed at all with the exception of trail 15. Livin' may be able to shed some light onto the subject.

it was groomed for sure back in mid jan... would have had a drag or packing plate perhaps haven't been on it since.

Just checking update. Doesn't sound very good. I guess even going north from Fenelon is rough. Maybe wait till next week and see if we get the snow there calling for.

we rode from Coboconk to whitney yesterday, taking power lines up and 178 down.

Rai bed was spectacular in the am when we left and had very little snow left on it when we returned.  I don't recommend it.

On another note, anyone know if any grooming got done in Haliburton area last night?  A pass with the groomer would have made riding good again today

Left from Kinmount at 7:30 this morning. Rail line was great. Took 7 north and it was pretty good too considering the lack of snow. The 103 north of 7 was terrible. We turned around and went into Minden on the way back. I don't recommend that either. There just isn't enough snow.

B trail was a green today ! Apart from the section of B west from Hwy118 up to the swamp, B west was fantastic all the way up to Little Hawk. B east was also stellar all the way from Eagle Lake back to Tulip Rd. My son and favorite riding partner was up this weekend for what will most likely be our 1 and only ride this year. We had a GREAT ride today. Best I have seen B in a long time. Much appreciation for the grooming - thanks !

B trail was a green today ! Apart from the section of B west from Hwy118 up to the swamp, B west was fantastic all the way up to Little Hawk. B east was also stellar all the way from Eagle Lake back to Tulip Rd. My son and favorite riding partner was up this weekend for what will most likely be our 1 and only ride this year. We had a GREAT ride today. Best I have seen B in a long time. Much appreciation for the grooming - thanks !

Good to hear, thanks for the update and thanks to the club.

Thats great to hear!!  Its just too bad they groomed it after all of these complaints when most people come up Friday plan a long ride Saturday and most have to checkout by 11 so are either limited to a short Sunday ride or none at all.  Too bad it was junk for the past 5 weeks I'm sure it will impact peoples decision to return to the area.  i remember about 8 or so years ago you could go on any trail Saturday and Sunday morning and they were mint the HCSA had there you know what together.  I am in no way complaing about any volunteer or anyone in general I'm just stating what we had.  Livin keep up the good work!!  We appreciate what you have and are doing for the club!!  Now lets hope we can keep grooming for a couple weeks!!  

Thats great to hear!!  Its just too bad they groomed it after all of these complaints when most people come up Friday plan a long ride Saturday and most have to checkout by 11 so are either limited to a short Sunday ride or none at all.  Too bad it was junk for the past 5 weeks I'm sure it will impact peoples decision to return to the area.  i remember about 8 or so years ago you could go on any trail Saturday and Sunday morning and they were mint the HCSA had there you know what together.  I am in no way complaing about any volunteer or anyone in general I'm just stating what we had.  Livin keep up the good work!!  We appreciate what you have and are doing for the club!!  Now lets hope we can keep grooming for a couple weeks!!  

We all have a lot of frustration up in the B west zone. There are probably some very difficult logistics involved with this area - and there are, after all,  2 groomers down. Maybe there is nobody looking out for B west like the other areas and I am sure Livin' can't do it all. Livin' has been a breath of fresh air for our club and I am sure there are some things that he does not want to "air out in public." He has made great efforts to get the HCSA going and I am sure we will all be incredibly worse off if he was to throw in the towel. Things turned around 180 degrees overnight and that I am sure is because someone was listening. I could be wrong, but that is my read on things. In a few years I will step up and volunteer a lot of time. But for now, I can not and I am very grateful for the work that is being done by the volunteers. Still have my complaints, but it is what it is and that's not due to anyone's bad intentions or malice. Again, thanks for whatever help we can get. Here's to the End Game.

You think part of it "being junk for 5 weeks" is THAT WE KEEP LOOSING SNOW with all the warm spells and have seen very little snowfall at all year? The number one factor people, is that there is little snow cover and not much base. Outside of the rail trail you really need in excess of a foot in most areas to ensure decent trails. The weather is the

culprit this year plain and simple.

You think part of it "being junk for 5 weeks" is THAT WE KEEP LOOSING SNOW with all the warm spells and have seen very little snowfall at all year? The number one factor people, is that there is little snow cover and not much base. Outside of the rail trail you really need in excess of a foot in most areas to ensure decent trails. The weather is the

culprit this year plain and simple.

No!! lack of grooming is why it was junk!!  When the rest of the system sees constant grooming and one section gets completely neglected you being to wonder whats going on, as you can see from other peoples posts I'm not the only one questioning it.  There is a section that is swampy that actually has a bypass that was not groomed either.

No!! lack of grooming is why it was junk!!  When the rest of the system sees constant grooming and one section gets completely neglected you being to wonder whats going on, as you can see from other peoples posts I'm not the only one questioning it.  There is a section that is swampy that actually has a bypass that was not groomed either.

Yes, this is true. B west fell through the cracks. It could have been groomed earlier than last night. It is, indeed, unfortunate. All we can do is look forward and not dwell on it or squabble about it.

I think all of us that have complained have been saying the same thing all along, and that is that the club has done a great job with what they have had to work with and that Livin' has done a great job with the HCSA.

The HCSA trails for the most part have been very good this year even with the inconsistent weather but, there is a section of the B that has been omitted from regular grooming not only this year but last year as well. It's very frustrating when the majority of the trails get groomed on a very frequent basis and this section of the B doesn't see a groomer for multiple weeks at a time. If it was due to a lack of snow then we wouldn't be complaining.

And before anyone comments about volunteering, I was a director with the HCSA filling multiple roles. I left the club for personal reasons but with the positive changes that I've seen since Livin' has arrived I have offered to help numerous times this year on different occasions doing whatever was needed. 

Danger!!!

Large pressure crack on Kenissis Lake today. It has open water 4ft wide across the marked trail. Also a ridge of ice on one side of the crack, and you can't see it coming. Someone has placed pylons on the lake marker poles on either side of the crack.

Thanks for the heads up, ETV

I have ridden the trails extensively for over 30 years as my cottage is in Halliburton. The rail trail is an ESP trail and can be groomed with little snow as its a rail bed. It also see the majority of traffic. The B needs and those in the know can confirm at least a foot of snow which we haven't really had this year. For example the 9 hasn't even openedthis year and is a similar area that needs snow and cols to freeze up the wash outs and swampy parts. I'm not part of the executive but it bothers me when I see ill informed rants. No wonder the turnover is what it is on some clubs. There is more to the story here, this hasn't been a banner year for snow. When we have gotten some we have quickly lost it.

Archived