Advice re Cargo Trailer

Blake G

I am considering purchasing an enclosed cargo trailer for transporting a snowmobile, motorcycle, lawn tractor, etc. I have had 3 fairly large cargo trailers, but not in the past 5 years. This time I would like something I could pull without needing a big pickup truck. I am thinking about getting a smallish 6 X 12 size, with ramp door. I think I would want a side door on the drivers side. Can anyone recommend a brand or dealer? From what I have read on this forum regarding snowmobile trailers, I get the impression that quality varies with price.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Blake... most cargo trailers I have seen don't have ramps. Some do but they are also slung a lot lower to the ground typically than a sled trailer which if you hit any real snow means the body may be dragging through the snow more so than a snowmobile trailer so the tow vehicle comes into play then.

I like the Blizzard brand which is the make of my snowmobile trailer. This is their cargo trailers but they will also make you anything you want.

http://www.blizzardmfg.com/trailers/cargo

If you want something for a motorcycle as well though they have a trailer with a different front than the snowmobile style and it is a cross over

http://www.blizzardmfg.com/trailers/snowmobile/crossover

They will also build whatever you want

You cant go wrong with anything that has the TRITON name on it.

You cant go wrong with anything that has the TRITON name on it.

X 2...from having looked at several brands when trailer shopping a couple of years ago, Triton would be first on my list.

To Smith's Ultramar, among other places. LOL

To Smith's Ultramar, among other places. LOL

me too

I like your cargo van.

Thank you, everyone, for the input so far. 

Instead of starting this thread, perhaps I should have taken another look at Nunz's trailer thread from August. Plenty of good input provided there.

Maybe a cargo trailer is not the way to go. The hybrids, such as the one purchased by Nunz, seem to offer more interior space and less weight than cargo trailers. Just not sure they would work for toting around large motorcycles.

Several people in Nunz's thread mention Reinhart's as a good Triton dealer. I see that Factory Rec in Midland also sells Triton.

Triton is a quality trailer but some of what you are peying for is the name on the side. There are other brands just as good with a better price tag. One thing often overlooked is the material used on the floor annd ramp. Look at the thickness and is it plywood or. Particle

Blake, I have a Neo 7x12 bought at Action Trailers really happy with it. If you are thinking of dealing with Reinhart Trailers he does sell other brands of trailers in different price points. My son bought a 6x12 Stealth trailer from them. If you deal with Scott at Reinhart's tell him you know Glenn and Jason Vasey, hopefully this helps with the pricing.

Arnies is also a Triton dealer.

I had no idea.

Arnies is also a Triton dealer.

As is Performance Recreation and Rocky Island Tire and St Onge recreation in Barrie, When I did my shopping I found Reinhart's were the best for price.

Nunz

Blake, If you want to come by and see mine let me know, I will be around tomorrow evening.

Triton is a quality trailer but some of what you are peying for is the name on the side. There are other brands just as good with a better price tag. One thing often overlooked is the material used on the floor annd ramp. Look at the thickness and is it plywood or. Particle

Guess it's a personal preference thing, 02. At the time I was shopping (3 years ago), I found that no other aluminum trailer manufacturer (in Canada) that I looked at offered the same combination of quality, model choice, base features, options, accessories, and network of dealers. And the particular type I was after  -- a hybrid in-line (TC-167 in Triton-speak) -- simply was not available at that time from any other manufacturer. But that may well have changed by now.

I do remember being impressed with the fit-and-finish of the Blizzards...especially the lack of exposed screws on the aluminum skin.

Blake, whatever brand or style you decide on, give serious consideration to a 7 ft. width instead of 8'6", whether it's a V-nose or an in-line hybrid.  Key benefits are that you can see around it without mirror extensions, and it tows easier due to less wind resistance, as the main body of the trailer sits almost entirely behind your tow vehicle (I'm assuming a light-duty pick-up or SUV) instead of catching wind by sticking out significantly to either side.   

Happy shopping!

Guess it's a personal preference thing, 02. At the time I was shopping (3 years ago), I found that no other aluminum trailer manufacturer (in Canada) that I looked at offered the same combination of quality, model choice, base features, options, accessories, and network of dealers. And the particular type I was after  -- a hybrid in-line (TC-167 in Triton-speak) -- simply was not available at that time from any other manufacturer. But that may well have changed by now.

I do remember being impressed with the fit-and-finish of the Blizzards...especially the lack of exposed screws on the aluminum skin.

Blake, whatever brand or style you decide on, give serious consideration to a 7 ft. width instead of 8'6", whether it's a V-nose or an in-line hybrid.  Key benefits are that you can see around it without mirror extensions, and it tows easier due to less wind resistance, as the main body of the trailer sits almost entirely behind your tow vehicle (I'm assuming a light-duty pick-up or SUV) instead of catching wind by sticking out significantly to either side.   

Happy shopping!

I do remember looking at the TC 167 and for where I would be parking it was just too long for me but it was an attractive option that nobody else seemed to have. If I had the room to park it I quite possibly would have had one. As for Triton having a lot of dealers in the area they sure do.

Like I said definitely Triton is a quality product. For me when I compared the two I just couldn't justify the premium cost at the time when comparing the two. I don't know how they compare price wise at the moment especially with the current US exchange rate.

Bottom line though is that I wasn't going to simply opt for the lowest price I could find on a trailer. I was looking for a combo of price and quality for good value.

Hey Blake; I own a Triton CT-127R (12' plus 2' v-nose x 7' wide with Ramp door). I could not be happier with this trailer. I believe it will accommodate what you are looking for a trailer to do. I must echo those that mentioned Triton build quality and irreverent's comment on a 7' wide trailer. 

Enjoy whatever you purchase.

I'm coming to realize I'm going to have trouble finding  a trailer that matches all the criteria I originally set out. (To be light enough to pull with a car or van, be useable for a sled as well as for a Goldwing in the summer, and to double as a cargo/work trailer for other stuff.)

-the actual 6 x 12 "cargo" trailers could transport a sled and a large bike, but tend to be too heavy for my towing capabilities

-the tilting enclosed sled trailers are lighter and great for moving a sled, but are problematic for loading the Goldwing

-the hybrid trailers are a little big for pulling with a car or passenger van

To get into a new trailer that would meet all three of my above criteria, I would need to trade up to a better truck that could handle the towing weight.

I may be just as well off to continue using my old pickup truck with no trailer, as I can move a sled with it, but not the Goldwing.

I'm coming to realize I'm going to have trouble finding  a trailer that matches all the criteria I originally set out. (To be light enough to pull with a car or van, be useable for a sled as well as for a Goldwing in the summer, and to double as a cargo/work trailer for other stuff.)

-the actual 6 x 12 "cargo" trailers could transport a sled and a large bike, but tend to be too heavy for my towing capabilities

-the tilting enclosed sled trailers are lighter and great for moving a sled, but are problematic for loading the Goldwing

-the hybrid trailers are a little big for pulling with a car or passenger van

To get into a new trailer that would meet all three of my above criteria, I would need to trade up to a better truck that could handle the towing weight.

I may be just as well off to continue using my old pickup truck with no trailer, as I can move a sled with it, but not the Goldwing.

The Blizzard trailers have an aluminum with a blunt nose and a ramp that would take the gold wing.

post-21351-0-24927600-1447674401_thumb.png

So Blake, what are you planning to pull the truck with, and what truck do you currently have ?

Asking because I pull a 4000 pound camper with a boat behind it, with a F150 2wd 4.6L, with the box loaded with generator and firewood and everything that doesn't fit in the camper.  It has 337k on it, is partially down on 1 cylinder and still pulls everything, most times in overdrive.  I once pulled a 32' car carrier that had everything from my Timmins house, from Timmins to Hearst when I moved back here.  Estimates were around 10,000 pounds, off the bumper, no hitch.  90 on cruise, all the way (OD cancelled). 

So if you think your vehicle or pickup might not be worthy of the task, you might be surprised.  It will guzzle gas, but it's the price you pay for making it work its a$$ off ....

The Blizzard trailers have an aluminum with a blunt nose and a ramp that would take the goldwing

Thank you. I will check the specs.

So Blake, what are you planning to pull the with, and what truck do you currently have ?

Asking because I pull a 4000 pound camper with a boat behind it, with a F150 2wd 4.6L, with the box loaded with generator and firewood and everything that doesn't fit in the camper. It has 337k on it, is partially down on 1 cylinder and still pulls everything, most times in overdrive. I once pulled a 32' car carrier that had everything from my Timmins house, from Timmins to Hearst when I moved back here. Estimates were around 10,000 pounds, off the bumper, no hitch. 90 on cruise, all the way (OD cancelled).

So if you think your vehicle or pickup might not be worthy of the task, you might be surprised. It will guzzle gas, but it's the price you pay for making it work its a$$ off ....

Currently have a 2004 Dodge Caravan, 2011 Rondo (4 cylinder), and 1996 Dodge Ram (6 cylinder). I am dreaming about towing with the Rondo (towing capacity 1500 lbs). The Goldwing weighs over 900 lbs.

jrhz06 messaged me about the NEO all aluminum cargo trailers. I see their 6 X 12 has a curb weight of 1132 lbs. Apparently they also manufacture a 5 x 12 with a curb weight around 860 lbs. I intend to call Action Trailers in Strathroy to discuss availability....

Archived