Advice re Cargo Trailer

Blake G

Currently have a 2004 Dodge Caravan, 2011 Rondo (4 cylinder), and 1996 Dodge Ram (6 cylinder). I am dreaming about towing with the Rondo (towing capacity 1500 lbs). The Goldwing weighs over 900 lbs.

Trade them all in, realize the savings on insurance and maintenance and get a new pickup.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jrhz06 messaged me about the NEO all aluminum cargo trailers. I see their 6 X 12 has a curb weight of 1132 lbs. Apparently they also manufacture a 5 x 12 with a curb weight around 860 lbs. I intend to call Action Trailers in Strathroy to discuss availability....

watch where you tow a cargo trailer in the snow with a two wheel drive in particular... the lower slung body can get hung up in some areas where the snow hasn't been really plowed yet like the lots where we like to park and off load.

Trade them all in, realize the savings on insurance and maintenance and get a new pickup.

I have been looking into this idea.

watch where you tow a cargo trailer in the snow with a two wheel drive in particular... the lower slung body can get hung up in some areas where the snow hasn't been really plowed yet like the lots where we like to park and off load.

Definitely a trade off with the advantage of having a low trailer for the Goldwing.

Definitely a trade off with the advantage of having a low trailer for the Goldwing.

True.  But in most respects a 2wd with good winter tires and about 500lbs of weight in the box should pull you through 98% of your driving.  I've only ever owned 2wd's (3 of them) and with good snow grips have had no trouble towing (again, weight in the box ... 4x 24x30" patio slabs are perfect in a shortbox) .... and you should see some of the places I stuff my pickups .... you'd turn around with a 4x4.  

Your V6 Ram should pull a sled & trailer no problem, it's got lots of torque.

Working on a deal for a NEO all aluminum v-nose cargo trailer with Derek at Action Trailers near London. 5 x 12 size can be factory ordered and available for pick up within 4 weeks. 52 inch wide rear ramp door opening would leave 4 inches to spare for Cat sleds. 142 inches plus 15 inch v-nose would handle even my Polaris Adventure 155, which is 134 inches from tip to tail. Door clearance height is 59.25 inches, 1 and 3/4 inches more than the Goldwing's height. I can order an additional 6 inches of height but I don't know if it would be a good idea due to the increased wind resistance. Side door can be put on the driver's side for gas fill ups. With ski guides, track matting, removable motorcycle wheel chock, tie rings, attached aluminum jack stands, 15 inch aluminum wheels and radial tires plus one spare tire the curb weight would be approximately 900 pounds. Add a 600 pound sled and the result is at the upper end of the towing capacity for a Rondo, as far as I know, but within easy range for a Caravan or 20 year old pick up truck. Price would be around 5500 before tax.

Here's a link to another similar trailer listed by Action Trailers:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/london/aluminum-cargo-trailer-6-x-12-neo-in-stock-2016-sale-price/1111069221?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

things I noticed based on the video

Either he is Hercules or it's a real light tongue weight. Somebody may be able to confirm but aren't you supposed to have 40% total weight as the tongue weight.

You'll likely want to add a hinged flip down piece of plywood on the end of the ramp to stop the sled carbides from chewing up the aluminum of the ramp edge. Take a look at the trailers with ramps made for snowmobiles.

I didn't see any vents on the trailer which are important in my mind

I do like the all tubular frame and three bar tongue

The full plywood lining is nice as well

I don't know what he is charging for track mats but the most economical and thickest I have found is to get a stall mat from the TSC store and cut it in 16 inch wide strips which can be done easily and screw it down.

10 percent tongue weight is what I always aimed for.

One large roof vent plus two smaller wall vents are standard equipment.

10 to 15 % for small trailers 15 to 25% for weight distribution and up to 40 for 5th wheel. ....

Curious to the ground clearance. ... ?

The ground clearance is supposed to be approx 15 inches.

Plenty for even fair-sized snowbank-jumping ... :D

Kind of a mini-trailer. I am thinking how little space would be available around the sled. 4.5 inches per side. Certainly no room to walk around the machine. Might be tricky trying to secure the front of the machine, but possible, I think, given one side door.

At the very least it would be a good bike trailer, and a handy little cargo trailer for the smallest of moving or construction jobs.

Working on a deal for a NEO all aluminum v-nose cargo trailer with Derek at Action Trailers near London. 5 x 12 size can be factory ordered and available for pick up within 4 weeks. 52 inch wide rear ramp door opening would leave 4 inches to spare for Cat sleds. 142 inches plus 15 inch v-nose would handle even my Polaris Adventure 155, which is 134 inches from tip to tail. Door clearance height is 59.25 inches, 1 and 3/4 inches more than the Goldwing's height. I can order an additional 6 inches of height but I don't know if it would be a good idea due to the increased wind resistance. Side door can be put on the driver's side for gas fill ups. With ski guides, track matting, removable motorcycle wheel chock, tie rings, attached aluminum jack stands, 15 inch aluminum wheels and radial tires plus one spare tire the curb weight would be approximately 900 pounds. Add a 600 pound sled and the result is at the upper end of the towing capacity for a Rondo, as far as I know, but within easy range for a Caravan or 20 year old pick up truck. Price would be around 5500 before tax.

Here's a link to another similar trailer listed by Action Trailers:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cargo-utility-trailer/london/aluminum-cargo-trailer-6-x-12-neo-in-stock-2016-sale-price/1111069221?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You do see a lot of these trailers in my area.  Looks like a good trailer.

Today I paid a deposit and placed an order for the 5 x 12 Neo All Aluminum V-Nose cargo trailer mentioned above. Derek Botten at Action Trailers in Strathroy was excellent to deal with during a few telephone conversations. $5560 plus tax including some accessories. Supposedly I will be able to pick up the trailer within four weeks.

Thank you to everyone for all the input. No doubt Triton, Blizzard and Legend make good products. I did look into them based on the recommendations in this thread. I looked into other brands too, of course.

The only unresolved problem is the fact that the two "ramp assist" cables are about 47 inches apart - - in other words too close together for some sleds. I will need to figure something out, such as removing one or both cables during snowmobile season, and working with reduced "ramp assist" or none at all. I hope the 52 inch wide x 60 inch high ramp door will be easy and safe to operate, even without cable assist.

Congrats. I ordered mine at the show and they told me 3 weeks. Got the call yesterday, exactly 3 weeks after the show. Action has been very good to deal with and extremely accurate on their delivery estimate.

Wow the trailers have gone up like crazy. Can probably sell mine for what I paid 4 years ago. Congratulations. Plywood floor?

Today I paid a deposit and placed an order for the 5 x 12 Neo All Aluminum V-Nose cargo trailer mentioned above. Derek Botten at Action Trailers in Strathroy was excellent to deal with during a few telephone conversations. $5560 plus tax including some accessories. Supposedly I will be able to pick up the trailer within four weeks.

Thank you to everyone for all the input. No doubt Triton, Blizzard and Legend make good products. I did look into them based on the recommendations in this thread. I looked into other brands too, of course.

The only unresolved problem is the fact that the two "ramp assist" cables are about 47 inches apart - - in other words too close together for some sleds. I will need to figure something out, such as removing one or both cables during snowmobile season, and working with reduced "ramp assist" or none at all. I hope the 52 inch wide x 60 inch high ramp door will be easy and safe to operate, even without cable assist.

Congrats Blake, now we need to get you to join us on our "Northern trips"...

Wow the trailers have gone up like crazy. Can probably sell mine for what I paid 4 years ago. Congratulations. Plywood floor?

post-22473-0-90424800-1447807779_thumb.jpg

not enough butter tarts 

INDEED

That'll be a very nice trailer Blake. Your earlier post sent me to their site - nice quality. 

How does the ramp spring assist work? If the ramp door uses an overhead roller, like a garage door, with wound spring, the cables will narrow your door opening a bit. Check that you still have enough width for skis.

EDIT: oops - I see you're already on top of this. 

You have some nice upgrades. Aluminum wheels worth it you think! I hit more pot holes in the road during early spring, and actually bent an aluminum truck rim a few years back. You might want to reverse that option.

You have some nice upgrades. Aluminum wheels worth it you think! I hit more pot holes in the road during early spring, and actually bent an aluminum truck rim a few years back. You might want to reverse that option.

I hadn't considered that possible problem. Based on my earlier experiences with trailers, I was more concerned about rusting, as that's what ended up happening on my previous trailers with steel wheels, steel frame, etc. This whole trailer is about 900 pounds, so hopefully the aluminum wheels will be up to the task. Time will tell.

That'll be a very nice trailer Blake. Your earlier post sent me to their site - nice quality. 

How does the ramp spring assist work? If the ramp door uses an overhead roller, like a garage door, with wound spring, the cables will narrow your door opening a bit. Check that you still have enough width for skis.

EDIT: oops - I see you're already on top of this. 

Not sure if I am top of the issue, but I am at least aware of it.

The dealer shop did not "recommend" making any changes to the way the factory sets up the ramp assist system, but I am hoping I will be able to disconnect one cable or both......without causing a major problem.

Archived