Short trip Dec 27-30 to Cochrane

LondonCalling

can't wait for this, never rode a 4stroke. and now i own one. this trip is gonna rock

You are going to love it,see you in Cochrane.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We going to try Hearst and back? 

We can certainly discuss it.  Normally, I'd just say yes, but lets see what the true conditions are, and how the new sleds react to break in.   I don't anticipate any problems, I just don't want to set unrealistic expectations.  But I definitely  want to head west.  I've never been past Moonbeam.   It's just a moosehair under 300 km one way from Cochrane to Hearst.  Pretty sure we would be coming a good ways back in the dark.  Better check what time gas is available at all spots.  Normally, I can make that distance with the spare can I carry, but not sure on break in.

This is the first sled I've ever in my life had to break in.  Closest to new I've ever had is one year old.

If interested, we can take a short 20 min detour at New Liskeard over to Quebec on the drive to get 65 pack of beer for just over $60.  Its always a great deal.  We can each get one and bring left overs home (or not if that's the case) or split one for the room.    If we try to make the run to Hearst and back, there's a good chance things will be closed when we get back.

We are usually the last to leave the hotel due to the previous nights activities. Leaving Cochrane 10ish, we can be in Hearst by 2-2:30. Cochrane-Hearst and back is very doable if you leave at a normal time in the morning.Several gas stops along the way.

We can certainly discuss it.  Normally, I'd just say yes, but lets see what the true conditions are, and how the new sleds react to break in.   I don't anticipate any problems, I just don't want to set unrealistic expectations.  But I definitely  want to head west.  I've never been past Moonbeam.   It's just a moosehair under 300 km one way from Cochrane to Hearst.  Pretty sure we would be coming a good ways back in the dark.  Better check what time gas is available at all spots.  Normally, I can make that distance with the spare can I carry, but not sure on break in.

This is the first sled I've ever in my life had to break in.  Closest to new I've ever had is one year old.

If interested, we can take a short 20 min detour at New Liskeard over to Quebec on the drive to get 65 pack of beer for just over $60.  Its always a great deal.  We can each get one and bring left overs home (or not if that's the case) or split one for the room.    If we try to make the run to Hearst and back, there's a good chance things will be closed when we get back.

Might want to pack a litre of oil! Heard the 800 etec's chug lots of oil on break in! You won't have full power until you burn two tanks of fuel, roughly. Good luck!

I had to go to Hearst for the day today and saw their groomer out along Hwy 11 between Hearst and where it links up with our (Hornepayne) trail.  

They've done that route a couple of times.  I believe you have to cross the Shekak river on the bridge, obviously grooming hasn't started on the rivers yet.  I think they're working hard to open that trail specifically for holiday season tourists.  Good for them, and I see their groomer is back in action, it had a leaking water pump and no stock anywhere .....

Might want to pack a litre of oil! Heard the 800 etec's chug lots of oil on break in! You won't have full power until you burn two tanks of fuel, roughly. Good luck!

More like 3 if you're givin' er.  10 - 12 hours or so, at varying speeds by most accounts I've heard.  When break-in is done, it's like someone flipped a switch .... HUGE difference in power !

We can certainly discuss it. Normally, I'd just say yes, but lets see what the true conditions are, and how the new sleds react to break in. I don't anticipate any problems, I just don't want to set unrealistic expectations. But I definitely want to head west. I've never been past Moonbeam. It's just a moosehair under 300 km one way from Cochrane to Hearst. Pretty sure we would be coming a good ways back in the dark. Better check what time gas is available at all spots. Normally, I can make that distance with the spare can I carry, but not sure on break in.

This is the first sled I've ever in my life had to break in. Closest to new I've ever had is one year old.

If interested, we can take a short 20 min detour at New Liskeard over to Quebec on the drive to get 65 pack of beer for just over $60. Its always a great deal. We can each get one and bring left overs home (or not if that's the case) or split one for the room. If we try to make the run to Hearst and back, there's a good chance things will be closed when we get back.

Don't want to be riding at night when its -30 lol. Yep we can for sure head over to ville marie for sor cubes of beer.

Edit- its Notre-dame-du-nord now that I think of it.

If anyone out there is thinking of going up as well and is looking for someone to go with call Bob at 1-905-466-5189  or 1-519-849-5679   

He is in the Cambridge area.   Inferno you should give him a call or volunteer2.  It'd be good to ride with you 

He is just in the process of registering himself as a new user on this forum.

He gave me the ok to put this info on here.   

If anyone out there is thinking of going up as well and is looking for someone to go with call Bob at 1-905-466-5189  or 1-519-849-5679   

He is in the Cambridge area.   Inferno you should give him a call or volunteer2.  It'd be good to ride with you 

He is just in the process of registering himself as a new user on this forum.

He gave me the ok to put this info on here.   

It would be cool for sure but got stuff around here planned. I will take a "rain check"  but will drink some beer here and think about your trip.  Merry Christmas to everyone and be safe. We need you here for Science Hill  club work.

LondonCalling I sent you an email. I have another buddy who's itching to go, so if inferno or this bob fellow can hook up with you guys it might work out for everyone.

He knows I'm committed to travelling with you guys and aren't going to bail if you can't find a third.

Let me know.

You guys drive carefully and take your time. Hwy 11 between North Bay and New Liskeard, or at least almost there - is a ribbon of ice. After New Liskeard, blowing snow and drifting, some roads covered. Near Cochrane it gets better - at least there is one goat track for left wheeled traction.

You guys drive carefully and take your time. Hwy 11 between North Bay and New Liskeard, or at least almost there - is a ribbon of ice. After New Liskeard, blowing snow and drifting, some roads covered. Near Cochrane it gets better - at least there is one goat track for left wheeled traction.

been stopped for 5 hrs on that trip because of accident,at least a hr because truckers fell asleep will waiting...if you see towtrucks or cops leaving & nobody moves...pass them all..but ya ya be freakin careful & fill up at north bay...worse case...but better to be prepared

4 of us will be going to cottage for a few days.      DROP by for a beverage and a chew of jerky "if we are there"  lower deception lake lot #6 says cook on sign.  A trail for the last couple years used to go right past the corner of lake and up to green water park, but it changed this year to the old way into green water park.  i will try to mark corner where A trail changed from last year to this year and leave a peanut trail to cottage.  we will be riding 2x 2015 renegade 1200 x ,  1x 2015 renegade 600 sport  and a yamaha ?  i think phazer.  

They've done that route a couple of times.  I believe you have to cross the Shekak river on the bridge, obviously grooming hasn't started on the rivers yet.  I think they're working hard to open that trail specifically for holiday season tourists.  Good for them, and I see their groomer is back in action, it had a leaking water pump and no stock anywhere .....

More like 3 if you're givin' er.  10 - 12 hours or so, at varying speeds by most accounts I've heard.  When break-in is done, it's like someone flipped a switch .... HUGE difference in power !

My 600 etec didn't use that much on break in, but I did notice the power difference and sled ran much crisper. Mine kicked in around 650 km mark. Guess 800 is a different beast.

i hope LC has a 4x4

Be safe! If I was free I would go. Sounds like I need snow tires on the sliverado, 4x4 may not be enough.

Were just loading up now. Black ford with two cats on the trailer. Leaving Barrie costco at 630. Probably see you lucky2 and LondonCalling on the way up.

Have a great trip guys.  Can't make it this week. :-(

We're loaded up ready to go. Get some gas at costco then boogie up 11 to some snow and flat trails.

Archived