red viper riding alone,,,,, stay clear!!

cehyoopers

oh, thursday we ride over to whitney, very cold and late start. On our way back I entered an inside blind curve with an uphill grade. As I start to exit the turn the sun is in my eyes, I see a head light to the right of the sun, this guy is about 100 feet out, coming hard and fast. We are headlight to headlight. I am in complete control of my sled, but cannot stop as there is 2 guys behind coming around the same turn. I get the right ski over the groomer berm and I am about to bail. He manages to get back on his side of the trail, I give a quick look back as he starts his outside turn. He never let up or brakes, he flew past me very fast. We all made it around the turn and I was waiting for another sled playing catchup, never happened. I pulled over and the guy in the middle said they all but touched ski's. The guy at the end was just going into the corner so he was clear, but said that guy was going very fast when they met.

So we come up on a groomer that was heading back, he turned around about halfway through, we found out because of the extreme cold he was called back early. I asked him if a lone sled past him, he said yes a red viper (I knew it was a Yamaha but it went by so fast I actually thought it was black). I told him the story and he said they are having problems on that stretch of trail and have asked for police presence. He said he has been almost hit many times. So we know exactly where the viper passed the groomer because there was only one track on the trail, his.  I stop on an inside sweeping blind turn, I could not believe my eyes. One of the guys says " he nailed that apex perfectly". I could not have gone around that turn any better then the way he did, FROM THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!! This was an easy 50km turn, very easy to likely take it at 60km, I am so thankful we met him where we did when we did, a sec or so sooner and we would have tangled.

We stop at the forest to get warmed up and as we are leaving, I have my helmut on and this guy in a sled suit, no helmut says," did you guys just come from Whitney, I say yes, he says I was on the red viper and you almost hit me. Well I was like a deer in the headlights now. I asked him if he had his head up is ass. He says you even wiggled a bit to the right as I when pass you. I said that was my ski going over the berm on the right side of the trial. He then says, all 3 of you were on the wrong side of the trail. I am like WTF is this guy smoking???

I was in shock as I left, I have his reg and will be making a full police report, if it falls on deft ears fine, but take this for would it is worth, that guy is going to have an accident, a serious one and I care less if he smokes himself, but that is rarely the case,  this is my warning to anyone in that area watch out for this guy he has a death wish. I have never encountered anyone like this guy in 40 some odd years of riding. I was tempted to chase him down after the incident but thought better of it.

THIS GUY IS DANGEROUS AND SOMEOME IS GOING TO GET HURT,,, please if you know him talk to him, if you see him talk to him,

my conscience  is clear, rant over.

Rick Bennett

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that is brutal.  This guy fits the saying "more balls than BRAINS"  What an asshat.  Glad you got his info and are giving it up to the right people.  Also glad that you guys are all okay.

thanks,,,it is sad that we are going to allow our sport to be ruined if we stand back and do nothing, I always thought the tree huggers would be our demise, not our own recklessness,

glad you made it through alright, some just don't understand their mistakes

Are you absolutely sure you were not in the Muskokas ?

Are you absolutely sure you were not in the Muskokas ?

Haha. Well actually it's not funny. Just came back today, good thing I hug the groomer bank. I saw 5 groups of superdudes in skidoo's and artic cats ripping down twisty trails (d101b) on MY SIDE OF THE TRAIL. Every time I go riding I come SO CLOSE TO BEING HIT. Its just horrifying. So when they come ripping around the corner I slow down rip of my glove give them the finger and aggresively perform the "slow down" hand signal. I have been tempted to chase a couple of these tools. I did once today but I back off because I could not beleive how fast they were goning. I was going 60 chasing them and I just backed off. They were going 80-90km/h on D101B. I'm so mad my helemt cam was dead as the f*ckers should go to jail!

Ceyhoopers, I'm glad you filed a police report, and that you're safe. I would have knocked the guy out; he tried to say you were on his side of the trail. That is the biggest issue, they don't think there doing anything wrong or driving recklessly, until they hit somebody and then it isn't them that gets killed. Its the guy taking his time and sharing the trail

the guy has an awesome looking sled, paid a lot of money for it, to slow down on corners you cannot see around is not asking for much,,, if someone gets hurt where we were it is a long time for help to reach you,, with the cold temps survival would be hard. I could do nothing, and a few seconds later we would have hit, it would have been bad, that is what makes me so mad. I stopped riding weekends in Michigan 20 yrs ago and rarely ride here on weekends, this was a thurs,,, We drove from LOB to Lagoon city and every sled we met was where they should of been, and in control 113 miles.

This kind of crap will never change. It happens to me each time I'm out and not once in a day only. I guess I kinda get used to it, not that I'm out on the trails a lot. Sort of expect that someone will come around the corner on my side. Last wknd west of stonecliff, on a twisty rd, the leader come right around the corner cutting my side, on a rd,not even a trail, like holy crap guys, what goes on in their heads!! Not sayin that I've never done it by accident but not very often.

I'm glad you guys are ok cehyoopers. Thanks for posting this information.

we have all done it but this guy was on a mission, we followed his trail on our way out, he was in the middle at best and in the wrong most of the time, I have encountered hundreds of sleds in the wrong, and touch wood I have not been hit. I have put my sled into the woods to avoid contact. I only have a mirror on the left side of my sleds, as the one on the right gets knocked off.

On a side note we seen a group at the end of Redstone heading out for the rap tour. The guy was wearing a wedding dress, I asked if I could take a picture he said yeah, and then said" I forgot I still hat it on", lol. It was his bachelor party, and there was young and old, and they followed us for some time till we stopped. They passed us and we were impressed there was no moron driving done at all, well behave sledders!!

the guy has an awesome looking sled, paid a lot of money for it, to slow down on corners you cannot see around is not asking for much,,, if someone gets hurt where we were it is a long time for help to reach you,, with the cold temps survival would be hard. I could do nothing, and a few seconds later we would have hit, it would have been bad, that is what makes me so mad. I stopped riding weekends in Michigan 20 yrs ago and rarely ride here on weekends, this was a thurs,,, We drove from LOB to Lagoon city and every sled we met was where they should of been, and in control 113 miles.

That is why I now work Thursday to Sunday and ride MONDAY TO WEDNESDAY.  Seems the sensible ones are riding those days.  And I don't mean that about everyone on the weekends is an idiot. Because most aren't.  But, it really scares me when I know that I wouldn't be surprised if I new the peeps Aaron is talking about.  Cause the group that I know rides that D101B every Saturday.  I know they think they are on a race track which runs one way.  I hope I am wrong.  But, I really wish your helmet cam was working Aaron.  That is the main reason I stopped riding in New York and on Muskoka trails on weekends.

I normally only ride midweek and it never ceases to amaze me when I'm following someones track and I can't tell which direction they went down the trail. Every corner is taken on the apex and then they run down the middle of the trail on the straights. Glad there's not much traffic midweek.

Lord knows I am known to ride "Hot" especially when leading however I ALWAYS slow down on blind corners and blind hills.

Ask anyone who knows me I ride hard but I ride safe, not sure the same outcome would have happened with most of the folks I ride with, I don't deal well with bullies and stupidity!

Thanks for posting this ch, I think more of the these asshats should be ousted publically so we can get them the Eff off the trails!

Here's how to make weekend riding better and more fun.  Ride lakes. Go follow some tracks and learn some cool portages and small lake runs.  Minden to Dorset and back to Haliburton has lake alternatives that make Sat worth it.  The trails on the weekend are like Family Day and you are asking for trouble and stress riding them fast. Fridays are the best for the trails, not many people and all freshly groomed for the weekend.  Riding should be way fun and coming back pissed off is no way to be.

x2

Would clear video from a helmet cam be sufficient evidence for prosecuting some of these dangerous riders?

This type of riding is way more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit on a rail bed with minimal traffic.

ride lakes he says,lol,I am the king of lakes, we rode LOB,Raven,Sherbourne,Big Hawk,Clear,Red Pine,Kinisis,Redstone just to get there,,,, our goal was to ride Haystack and Drizzle, and loop around and come back on Drag and Haliburton, or any combo there of, but at minus 38 we did not leave to early in the am, and lakes are a bit cold in those temps,lol.

oh yeah it was thurs afternoon 4:30 and he was heading to whitney,not sure of the weekend post,,, in 1988/89 I logged 10,000 miles in Haliburton from Fader road cottage,,,,

I always thought the tree huggers would be our demise, not our own recklessness,

Not surprising. Look at the way all four major manufacturers market their machines. Emphasis on speed and horsepower. The Ahole magazine writers always promote this view of sledding as well. Take an idiot with money, put him in a fancy suit, and watch him go.

Somewhat related..elsewhere there is a post about ATV's being allowed on Gravenhurst streets...going to be plenty of trouble with that as the various socio-economic "filters" that exist for keeping abolutely complete idiots off snowmobiles - education, poor employment, lack of money - is going to be far less for ATV's with the resultant carnage.

Anyway, I share your pain with your incident. Riding in the Midland area this week, about 98% of sledders were friendly and extended the courtesy toward other sledders of hand signals (the courtesy concept which seems to be lacking in those that blah blah blah that it is too dangerous to use them) , was met on a blind corner by someone on my side of the trail once and passed ON THE RIGHT by one other idiot who nearly forced myself and passenger into a telephone pole by the Midland Inn and Suites.

To Cehyoopers.  You are probably a good guy, do all the right things, and I agree with your post but I wouldn't be worried about my friends running into the rear of me. They keep well back.  My son tried to keep his skis up my a-s at first and I had to remind him weren't racing.

RW

Yup see guys like it but not often.

That is why I now work Thursday to Sunday and ride MONDAY TO WEDNESDAY.  Seems the sensible ones are riding those days.  And I don't mean that about everyone on the weekends is an idiot. Because most aren't.  But, it really scares me when I know that I wouldn't be surprised if I new the peeps Aaron is talking about.  Cause the group that I know rides that D101B every Saturday.  I know they think they are on a race track which runs one way.  I hope I am wrong.  But, I really wish your helmet cam was working Aaron.  That is the main reason I stopped riding in New York and on Muskoka trails on weekends.

Helmet cam died in 5 minutes. Forgot to clear the memory card from last time. 

the guy on the red viper rides with all his friends anyhow

Exactly.

Archived