red viper riding alone,,,,, stay clear!!

cehyoopers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just never can predict where a conversation will go, here on OC.

X2 What happened to the guy on the red Viper.

but the post is still current so that is awesome,,,,,title says it all,,,, ride safe guys heading to Michigan this weekend/week coming,,, blast on a 1000 miles or so!!! anyone in the area drop in!!!

but the post is still current so that is awesome,,,,,title says it all,,,, ride safe guys heading to Michigan this weekend/week coming,,, blast on a 1000 miles or so!!! anyone in the area drop in!!!

HAVE FUN!!!  

Vipers are geared to pull like a mother on bottom....that along with the incredible torque that comes on like a freight train down low makes the viper very hard to beat to 70mph.    The 600 2 strokes have a very hard time playing catch up.   

The yammie triple is an over achiever with 137+ hp on many independent dynos.    Not any 600 out there over 125hp that I know of.

600 2 stroke shines with its light weight, and "flickability".....etec 600 is incredible on gas mileage and sips oil.   

Both awesome sleds with the exception of the Viper's cat built chain case, and poorly engineered procross chassis.  Yammie is making running updates on their viper.  Cat will learn alot.

Dan

Have fun in Michigan. Which sled are you taking?

Almost got clipped today by a guy sliding out of control on a older sled trying to keep up with his buddies. he was so close that it was easy to give him a slap on the helmet

that is the biggest issue. People riding in groups,racing each other to the nexy restaurant or pub. Then, there is the unexperienced guy (should be talking, relatively newbie, 3000kms on a sled). Glad to hear your okay WB

good you missed him, re-leaf according to rockerdan I am taking the pos tiger 6000,,,,lmao,

good you missed him, re-leaf according to rockerdan I am taking the pos tiger 6000,,,,lmao,

We demo'd the Cats last spring....I actually really like the new El tigre 6000.   This is cats new "in house" designed and built lightweight 2 stroke 600 twin.  It is a SEMI- direct injected motor, and IMO will probably do well(time will tell) as Greg Spaulding is quite the engine guru at Thief river falls.  

The problems I had with my cat turbo were all in the procross chassis, Poorly engineered chain case,driveline too.   They handle nicely though, mine was just valved far too stiff and had a horribly hard seat.  Many of these things are getting better each year.

If i wanted the triple it would definitely be the viper instead of the 7000.   The Yam clutches and better gears in chaincase make it worthwhile.

Dan

We demo'd the Cats last spring....I actually really like the new El tigre 6000.   This is cats new "in house" designed and built lightweight 2 stroke 600 twin.  It is a SEMI- direct injected motor, and IMO will probably do well(time will tell) as Greg Spaulding is quite the engine guru at Thief river falls.  

The problems I had with my cat turbo were all in the procross chassis, Poorly engineered chain case,driveline too.   They handle nicely though, mine was just valved far too stiff and had a horribly hard seat.  Many of these things are getting better each year.

If i wanted the triple it would definitely be the viper instead of the 7000.   The Yam clutches and better gears in chaincase make it worthwhile.

Dan

same gears both sleds

Yes, same gears (Arctic cat) and they have a recall or bulletin to replace the reverse shifter shaft and add a spring loaded detent.

Yes, same gears (Arctic cat) and they have a recall or bulletin to replace the reverse shifter shaft and add a spring loaded detent.

Maybe Snowgoer got it wrong then. Here's some of their comments on the differences specific to the drive train between the Yamacat & the Arcticha.

Yamaha insisted that its own clutching accompany the 1049cc triple when placed in an Arctic Cat chassis and painted blue or red, saying its clutching approach is better suited to a four-stroke powerband. After summer testing, Yamaha has a new belt to better match the new center distance of the clutches in this chassis. A bit of good news: That belt (8JP17641) will retail for just $100.

Yamaha also wanted upgrades in the chaincase. Vipers will have the same 13-link Borg Warner chain that’s used in Apex models, a manual chain adjustment (the gold-colored bolt) instead of Cat’s automatic tensioner system and billet gears instead of the cast gears previously used by Arctic Cat in this chassis

Yamaha wants to get a better grip on the RipSaw 2 track, so it is going with extrovert drivers to reduce ratcheting and help prevent chaincase failures.

To stabilize the brake caliper, Yamaha has added a new bracket to its SR Viper models.

Maybe Snowgoer got it wrong then. Here's some of their comments on the differences specific to the drive train between the Yamacat & the Arcticha.

Yamaha insisted that its own clutching accompany the 1049cc triple when placed in an Arctic Cat chassis and painted blue or red, saying its clutching approach is better suited to a four-stroke powerband. After summer testing, Yamaha has a new belt to better match the new center distance of the clutches in this chassis. A bit of good news: That belt (8JP17641) will retail for just $100.

Yamaha also wanted upgrades in the chaincase. Vipers will have the same 13-link Borg Warner chain that’s used in Apex models, a manual chain adjustment (the gold-colored bolt) instead of Cat’s automatic tensioner system and billet gears instead of the cast gears previously used by Arctic Cat in this chassis

Yamaha wants to get a better grip on the RipSaw 2 track, so it is going with extrovert drivers to reduce ratcheting and help prevent chaincase failures.

To stabilize the brake caliper, Yamaha has added a new bracket to its SR Viper models.

Just looked it up same chain adjuster,chain and drivers 

Vipers are geared to pull like a mother on bottom....that along with the incredible torque that comes on like a freight train down low makes the viper very hard to beat to 70mph. The 600 2 strokes have a very hard time playing catch up.

The yammie triple is an over achiever with 137+ hp on many independent dynos. Not any 600 out there over 125hp that I know of.

600 2 stroke shines with its light weight, and "flickability".....etec 600 is incredible on gas mileage and sips oil.

Both awesome sleds with the exception of the Viper's cat built chain case, and poorly engineered procross chassis. Yammie is making running updates on their viper. Cat will learn alot.

Great post, Good info.

Dan

Great info,Good post.

Apparently Cat finally smartened up and took most all the updates that yammie applied to the viper.  This was initially all yammie who updated alot back last spring, see article here:

http://www.snowgoer.com/snowmobile-news/yamaha-updates-sr-viper-snowmobiles-before-production/0922/

If you went to the spring snowmobile shows and took a real close look at the all-new SR Viper snowmobiles from Yamaha, you may want to go take a second look at the upcoming fall snowmobile shows.

After an extended spring and early summer of testing across North America, Yamaha has updated several areas of its new flagship snowmobile line, according to Yamaha Snowmobile Marketing Manager Wade West. The changes ensure that every Yamaha meets the company’s high quality, durability and reliability standards and will be reflected on the Vipers that will be rolling down the assembly line at the Arctic Cat factory starting in a couple of weeks, West said.

For the uninitiated, the SR Viper line was announced last spring and will utilize the 1049cc Yamaha triple formerly found only in Yamaha FX Nytro snowmobiles, along with the Arctic Cat ProCross chassis (called the SRV chassis when in a Yamaha). The machines will be built at the Cat factory in Thief River Falls, Minnesota, and will be quite similar to Arctic Cat ZR 7000 models with the same engine and chassis combination. Differences do exist between the Viper models and the Arctic Cat ZR 7000 snowmobiles, however. The previously announced differences include the use of brand-specific clutching and gearing, plus differing tracks, shocks (in some cases) and body work/paint/graphics.

Then i guess cat felt they better do the same as everyone would buy the viper instead.   In all the runs ive heard the viper wins, clutching is always best with yammie ole reliable belt life included. Funny after 2 yrs we all told cat their auto adjust chain was junk and then when yammie changes it they finally listen....lol  I added my own extros and american made chain to my cat turbo, the chinese crap that comes on them is half the issue....

cat updates:

ZR7000 gets Borgwarner chain, and manual adjuster
Just letting every one know that the 7000 series sleds will come with borgwarner chain, and gears. They will also get a manual adjuster, and extrovert drivers.

parts list (the X denotes that its new for this year):
Adjuster
2 2602-465 1 Plate, Ratchet
3 2623-057 X 1 Seal
4 2602-707 X 1 Spacer
5 0123-150 1 Nut
6 2602-735 X 1 Screw, Adjuster
7 2602-172 1 Seal
25 1702-342 X 1 Arm, Tensioner - Assembly
26 2602-336 1 Spring

Chain and gears
19 1702-351 X 1 Sprocket - 21T (13 Wide)
21 2602-758 X 1 Sprocket - 49T (13 Wide)
22 2602-760 X 1 Chain - 90P (13 Wide)

Dan

Generally our sport is tamer than it was but it is not without risks. We do not have the drinking problem that we once had. Cey you made a very valid point about he time to get rescued being

a threat to life we should always keep this in

mind

Are you sure? It is the same people riding now as 15 years ago. We are just smarter now! I still see some guys pulled over drinking beer just off the trail. Seen a guy yesterday, had a trunk full of canned beers for his journey. I now have my trunk full of Gatorade! Find I get dehydrated out on the trail.

Are you sure? It is the same people riding now as 15 years ago. We are just smarter now! I still see some guys pulled over drinking beer just off the trail. Seen a guy yesterday, had a trunk full of canned beers for his journey. I now have my trunk full of Gatorade! Find I get dehydrated out on the trail.

"we" are smarter now? You (and I quote) "ride roads at 70mph". Not sure if that can be considered "smart" when the speed limit is either 10mph or 30mph... (depending on speed of road)

On the BOLD.

I can see that riding fields and having to stop every mile to cross a road. 

On the BOLD.

I can see that riding fields and having to stop every mile to cross a road.

Actually the sideroads are usually 1.25 miles apart but I realize a northerner wouldn't know that. Often the trails weave back and forth through the blocks between the roads so it might be 3 miles between some roads. Fortunately we don't have to ride those tight twisty bush trails you have in the north.

That last sentence should get some reaction!

Really, you shouldn't knock it if you haven't had an opportunity to do some riding with someone in the south who knows their way around. Every area has its advantages. One in the south is that if your sled breaks down(take note Cat riders)you are never far from a road.

Archived