They want our coin but don't support snowmobiling

SparkPlug

Saw some posts on other forums about businesses doing really well on the pockets of sledders but they won't take map ads out or support their local clubs. I took a ride through Bracebridge down to Gravenhurst and south of Gravenhurst today. Made a few stops at some local restaurants, and what I found was disgusting. I will check other areas in the future, but wondering if others can post similiar info from other towns / businesses. I have attached a photo of one such establishment in Gravenhurst. It is called Frosty Pint and is located right on C101D. There were about 40 sleds there around noon today and only 2 or 3 cars. I went in for a coffee and asked for a local trail guide. The owner "Bob" said they didn't have any trail guides. I told him that the local club should have some there if they are attracting that much sled business. He said the club probably didn't give him any because they tried to sell him an ad and he didn't take one with the club. I asked him why he wouldn't take an ad to support the club. What he said next was totally disgusting in my opinion. He said "why should I? I am right on the trail. It's not like they are grooming a special trail only for me". This guy just doesn;t get it and neither do sledders if they are aware of this and continue to fill his establishment. His attitude and lack of support for our sport - - - I won't be back. I found this interesting as there are 3 other restaurants across the road. The pizza station had trail guides and did take a map ad out with the club. I also saw a thank you plaque beside their door from the club for sponsoring the clubs golf tournament. Good on the Pizza station. I bought a slice and a pop. Lakers and Carey's Irish pub are of the same attitude as Frosty Pint so I won't go back there. I was totally shocked to find that Boston Pizza down at Muskoka Wharf also has the same attitude. The place was full of sledders. I spoke to the Manager on duty, and she said the owners have cut back on a few things and one of the things was an ad in the local club trail guide. I remember a couple of years ago, BP would give a 10% discount on food to sledders if you showed the Snowcrest trail guide. That's gone now as well!

I travelled C101D to trail 15 to a place called Silver Pines restaurant. I spoke to the owner Terry who was tending bar. Silver Pines appear to be great supporters of the club and have a map ad and have sold trail permits for the club. The trail comes up from Sparrow LK and runs through their property. I highly reccomend this place. Thier halibut was delicious and reasonably priced. The trails during my trip were great but quite busy. I was talking to a few sledders at Silver Pines and they agree that sledders should especially support these businesses that support the local club. They were saying how Taboo Resort has really jumped on board to support snowmobiling and the local Club. Good for Taboo and Silver Pines! I will have to stop next time at Taboo Resort and check out their menu.

post-23466-0-79346800-1390086040_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Business take advantage of the trail being there. Big problem every where. On a business side they have it tough too only fill up on weekends. Be nice if they supported the club, but I guess it is there choice. We can't count on the extra support.

Business take advantage of the trail being there. Big problem every where. On a business side they have it tough too only fill up on weekends. Be nice if they supported the club, but I guess it is there choice. We can't count on the extra support.

The way things have been going with permit sales in Ontario over the last number of years and less revenue to the clubs, the Clubs need whatever support they can get or start shutting down trails, or do less grooming. We as snowmobilers have the power (and should use it) to show businesses why they need to support clubs in Ontario. I don't think a map ad is going to break a business that see's hundreds of sledders every weekend. Also, to point out, that Muskoka is quite busy with sled traffic during the week. I would argue that Frosty Pint and Boston Pizza see a hundred or more sledders walk in their door from Monday to Thursday. There are some business that just make it by, thanks to the sledders. I don't expect much from them. But these places I have mentioned see a lot of traffic and not just on the weekends.  

definitely something to keep in mind when out on the trails ...

Times are hard for a lot of businesses, but there are a few little things they can do to show a little respect and support. We should patronize snowmobile friendly establishments first and foremost and as long as their services are good.

I havent seem much action around Lakers in 2 years now , dont know how they do it , I have to agree 100% that these small businesses have to get off the pot and get behind the only source of income they will see for awhile , I see so many of them up hear complain about why they went under , 

THe economy, the Government , the weather , basically pick a subject , They need to wake up and smell the coffee , My income is based the tourism dollar , if i drop the ball the next guy will take my spot 

It are not only the food guys, it are also the snowmobile sales, repair shops and gas stations. They are gaining lots of money from us as snowmobilers but they don't support us, I think totally wrong.

Thanks,

Greg

sparkplug

now that i know who supports in gravenhurst...i will only support them...simple...thx for info

Times are hard for a lot of businesses, but there are a few little things they can do to show a little respect and support. We should patronize snowmobile friendly establishments first and foremost and as long as their services are good.

Sometimes it's the small things that add up and count.

Sometimes it's the small things that add up and count.

Just think of it this way. I used just 4 businesses in Gravenhurst that don't support snowmobiling. If these businesses each took out a $500.00 trail guide ad, and 4 current non supporting businesses for each of the other 216 clubs in Ontario did the same, that would be $434,000.00 back in to snowmobiling. Clubs could use this revenue for things such as fuel, grooming, signs, repairs, etc. We as snowmobilers have the power to make these businesses realize this by showing them a sudden drop in business, When the businesses ask WHY, we can tell them. Support snowmobiling and your local club and we will support you! unfortunately this action is necessary across the Province. It will make a difference. 

Thanks for posting this information spark plug. I will pay more attention to where I am spending my money.

plan a picket line out in front of his business. when he asks you to leave.... say, why should I, you dont support sledding, and the trail is right here. :D Ski

Pizza Station has really good pizza, wings and subs, and you won't find nicer people.

Silver Pines is worth the stop if you're looking for food in the Sparrow Lake area. Good food and good proprietors. Fish and Chips a specialty. Right on Trail 15 as you exit the north end of the stake line on Sparrow Lake.

Worse than that we have businesses that take out a class sponsorship at the radar run and then dont pay the bill

That's classy!

Saw some posts on other forums about businesses doing really well on the pockets of sledders but they won't take map ads out or support their local clubs. I took a ride through Bracebridge down to Gravenhurst and south of Gravenhurst today. Made a few stops at some local restaurants, and what I found was disgusting. I will check other areas in the future, but wondering if others can post similiar info from other towns / businesses. I have attached a photo of one such establishment in Gravenhurst. It is called Frosty Pint and is located right on C101D. There were about 40 sleds there around noon today and only 2 or 3 cars. I went in for a coffee and asked for a local trail guide. The owner "Bob" said they didn't have any trail guides. I told him that the local club should have some there if they are attracting that much sled business. He said the club probably didn't give him any because they tried to sell him an ad and he didn't take one with the club. I asked him why he wouldn't take an ad to support the club. What he said next was totally disgusting in my opinion. He said "why should I? I am right on the trail. It's not like they are grooming a special trail only for me". This guy just doesn;t get it and neither do sledders if they are aware of this and continue to fill his establishment. His attitude and lack of support for our sport - - - I won't be back. I found this interesting as there are 3 other restaurants across the road. The pizza station had trail guides and did take a map ad out with the club. I also saw a thank you plaque beside their door from the club for sponsoring the clubs golf tournament. Good on the Pizza station. I bought a slice and a pop. Lakers and Carey's Irish pub are of the same attitude as Frosty Pint so I won't go back there. I was totally shocked to find that Boston Pizza down at Muskoka Wharf also has the same attitude. The place was full of sledders. I spoke to the Manager on duty, and she said the owners have cut back on a few things and one of the things was an ad in the local club trail guide. I remember a couple of years ago, BP would give a 10% discount on food to sledders if you showed the Snowcrest trail guide. That's gone now as well!

I travelled C101D to trail 15 to a place called Silver Pines restaurant. I spoke to the owner Terry who was tending bar. Silver Pines appear to be great supporters of the club and have a map ad and have sold trail permits for the club. The trail comes up from Sparrow LK and runs through their property. I highly reccomend this place. Thier halibut was delicious and reasonably priced. The trails during my trip were great but quite busy. I was talking to a few sledders at Silver Pines and they agree that sledders should especially support these businesses that support the local club. They were saying how Taboo Resort has really jumped on board to support snowmobiling and the local Club. Good for Taboo and Silver Pines! I will have to stop next time at Taboo Resort and check out their menu.

Too bad the OPP don't set up a RIDE program right out in front!

Green line is Trail C101D where it crosses Bethune Drive in Gravenhurst, which is about two or three minutes south of the intersection with D trail.

Top green circle is Snowcrest Riders office.

Bottom green circle is The Pizza Station. They are easy to miss if you're concentrating, as you should be, on the road crossing. Nice little restaurant with really good pizza, wings, subs, etc.

Click to enlarge.

post-22473-0-76788200-1390105556_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Sparkplug.  Now I will be spending my money at the pizza station.  Funny, at least 5 years ago I use to go to lakers due to sponsorship, than I went to Careys because of sponsorship and last year I went to the Frosty Pint pub.  Now it looks like I will go to the Pizza station.  I always go to Silver Pines and Sumberlands store.  Thanks for opening my eyes once again.  

I hear what you are saying and for the most part agree. When you are looking at flourishing businesses that reap the benefits they should put something back into their source of customers. I always try to support those who support us. Now here is the exception. At times you will find the small mom and pop operation that is struggling to make ends meet and simply can't afford to pay for that ad. Especially when you look at how tough past winters have been in some places. I know of a couple of those and just because the business looks large and profitable doesn't always mean it is. One of those I know of has lost money on their operations the last 2 years and depleted their savings hoping to ride out tough times hoping for better.

$500 for a sled map ad seems pretty steep, especially for a small non franchise business. I bet if the adds were $50 to $100 they'd have no problem selling the ads, lots of room on most maps to decrease the actual map size and increase areas to add more sponsors, adding a link to the map ad sponsors on club websites and POI on the interactive and GPS maps also would give them a little more bang for their advertising buck. As the events a promotions guy for my club I often see first hand and am part of the long list of org's with their hand out to them a few times each season, cheaper map ads nets us bigger event prize donations, not to mention the many donations of things the club needs to operate like tools to work on the groomers, trail work tools, TV's for lic class  ... ect.   Just my 2 cents and some food for thought ...... 

$500 for a sled map ad seems pretty steep, especially for a small non franchise business. I bet if the adds were $50 to $100 they'd have no problem selling the ads, lots of room on most maps to decrease the actual map size and increase areas to add more sponsors, adding a link to the map ad sponsors on club websites and POI on the interactive and GPS maps also would give them a little more bang for their advertising buck. As the events a promotions guy for my club I often see first hand and am part of the long list of org's with their hand out to them a few times each season, cheaper map ads nets us bigger event prize donations, not to mention the many donations of things the club needs to operate like tools to work on the groomers, trail work tools, TV's for lic class  ... ect.   Just my 2 cents and some food for thought ...... 

I agree with you 100% Nutter... for that small business $500 can be a lot of money. I myself would have a hard time justifying $500 paid in the middle of summer hoping that there is lots of snow and that I would get a good ROI. Basically how much does my normal business have to increase to offset the $500 I just spent and then how much more does it need to increase for more cash in my pocket.

I think you are exactly right. Many smaller enterprises may want to support sledding, but can't afford to spend 500 bucks.

I fully agree that the businesses need to be 'encouraged' to support the local club and sledding in general.  For the smaller businesses, there are other ways that they can support the club, too.  A few hours of volunteer time can go a long way as well.

Let's face it.  We know what we are, now we are just haggling over price. :lol:

I think you are exactly right. Many smaller enterprises may want to support sledding, but can't afford to spend 500 bucks.

Can't afford? How many days their sales to snowmobilers s more then $500? I think most isn't can't afford but decided not to do it. The snowmobilers are still coming for food, also without the ad.

Thanks,

Greg

Archived