They want our coin but don't support snowmobiling

SparkPlug

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's impossible to know the reasons for a business decision, unless you are the business owner.

Can't afford? How many days their sales to snowmobilers s more then $500? I think most isn't can't afford but decided not to do it. The snowmobilers are still coming for food, also without the ad.

Thanks,

Greg

Out of that $500 revenue for a Saturday and likely a bit less for a Sunday don't forget that they have overhead to pay for. Insurance, rent, mortgage, heat. utilities, labour, WSIB cost of goods and so much more come out of that $500. Think of the small independent gas station who pumps $20 maybe $25 of fuel at a time. That could be 25 sleds to take in $500 for the day. Profit margin at the gas station level is apparently quite low. How much profit is actually left and then the mom and pop owners have to pay themselves and put food on the table. It can be a real stretch.  

Someone mentioned providing a poster that could be put in the window of the business.... Proud supporter of the OFSC 2013/2014 for a more nominal fee. Buy a poster from the club for X$. Provide a menu of affordably priced promotion.Trail signs, small map ad etc.

Out of that $500 revenue for a Saturday and likely a bit less for a Sunday don't forget that they have overhead to pay for. Insurance, rent, mortgage, heat. utilities, labour, WSIB cost of goods and so much more come out of that $500. Think of the small independent gas station who pumps $20 maybe $25 of fuel at a time. That could be 25 sleds to take in $500 for the day. Profit margin at the gas station level is apparently quite low. How much profit is actually left and then the mom and pop owners have to pay themselves and put food on the table. It can be a real stretch.  

Someone mentioned providing a poster that could be put in the window of the business.... Proud supporter of the OFSC 2013/2014 for a more nominal fee. Buy a poster from the club for X$. Provide a menu of affordably priced promotion.Trail signs, small map ad etc.

See my post # 11. I wasn't suggesting that businesses come up with the $500.00 in one day. They have an entire year to prepare and come up with it. 

See my post # 11. I wasn't suggesting that businesses come up with the $500.00 in one day. They have an entire year to prepare and come up with it. 

we allow our advertisers some slack on payment dates 

Whenever i'm heading out to an area i don't usually ride i like to check the map first, and pick a lunch spot based on the map ads. I think its even more important to show the businesses that have map ads our appreciation. Saying anything to the ones that don't is falling on deaf ears. 

Snowcrest trail guide ads are as low as $250.00. With that, Snowcrest adds a link on their sponsor section of their website to the businesses website that took out the ad. The Snowcrest website is linked to several other sites. Snowcrest also offers a payment plan. With the trail guide ad businesses also have the opportunity for a nominal fee to have standard blue & white OFSC / Club business signs on the trails. Also, each ad on the trail guide has a number on the top corner of the ad. This number shows up on the map showing the location of the advertiser. 

Snowcrest trail guide ads are as low as $250.00. With that, Snowcrest adds a link on their sponsor section of their website to the businesses website that took out the ad. The Snowcrest website is linked to several other sites. Snowcrest also offers a payment plan. With the trail guide ad businesses also have the opportunity for a nominal fee to have standard blue & white OFSC / Club business signs on the trails. Also, each ad on the trail guide has a number on the top corner of the ad. This number shows up on the map showing the location of the advertiser. 

Ditto for the PSSD /D10 map

$500 for a sled map ad seems pretty steep, especially for a small non franchise business. I bet if the adds were $50 to $100 they'd have no problem selling the ads, lots of room on most maps to decrease the actual map size and increase areas to add more sponsors, adding a link to the map ad sponsors on club websites and POI on the interactive and GPS maps also would give them a little more bang for their advertising buck. As the events a promotions guy for my club I often see first hand and am part of the long list of org's with their hand out to them a few times each season, cheaper map ads nets us bigger event prize donations, not to mention the many donations of things the club needs to operate like tools to work on the groomers, trail work tools, TV's for lic class  ... ect.   Just my 2 cents and some food for thought ...... 

That would be an easy right off for them and in this case I think the business probably would make their money back fairly quick.

I'm paying $30 in 407 tolls and $18 to get into the Toronto Sled Show each fall. I go to collect maps. If the OFSC was to sell and mail me a package with all the districts' maps in it, I would pay them $40 -$50 for it.

I'm paying $30 in 407 tolls and $18 to get into the Toronto Sled Show each fall. I go to collect maps. If the OFSC was to sell and mail me a package with all the districts' maps in it, I would pay them $40 -$50 for it.

Just take a different route!

A side note to advertising on the maps. Some maps contain a lot of contractor ads. I wonder if they get a map ad in lieu of payment for services rendered? This might be helpful to a local sledder, but I doubt Slomo is interested in buying a load of gravel from a guy in Eganville or Norland.

Lakers in Gravenhurst - I don't think I've seen a car or a sled in front of that store (other than the guy who owns it) in about five years.  How he stays in business is an absolute mystery. 

A front for a money laundering operation?

Sometimes you need to get creative on how sponsors can help out. It doesn't always have to be cash, 

Someone mentioned construction companies shown on maps and probably most of them donate time and equipment to help with trail work.

Maybe restaurants could be convinced to help with club functions, special's for snowmobilers and so on.

Point being, some businesses are having a tough time and not all will have extra cash to support an ad but there may be other ways they can help.

Ads don't always have to be on the OFSC trail guide either. I know the local club here also does sponsor signs at their club house and on the trail.

Next year give me your address and I will gather maps from each of the districts and send them to you for a lot less than $40 to $50.

Excellent post Sparkplug, and good on you to support businesses that support the clubs.

Lakers in Gravenhurst - I don't think I've seen a car or a sled in front of that store (other than the guy who owns it) in about five years.  How he stays in business is an absolute mystery. 

I was there a few weeks ago and had wings, Was a Thursday night and only 5 people in for wings, Talking to the owner he said when the trail came to the place he was busy as all get out. He put on a 5000 sq ft addition and now the trail does not go to the restaurant and he gets next to no business... Funny thing he says I should ask for the trail to come back here... lol

We stopped to eat at BP in Gravenhurst yesterday and they are still giving the discount to sledders and all 11 of us got ours. lots of sledders there.   These small towns up north have changed so much over the years too many snobby people now with big bucks to spend most places don't care for snowmobilers anymore like they used its sad but true. A lady yesterday at the gas station yesterday in Gravenhurst said snowmobilers shouldn't be allowed to go there, really???? probably cause she had to wait a few minutes to get gas even though she practically tried to drive over my buddies sled who was in line waiting his turn.  Then when we left a gentleman stood at the end of his driveway with his shovel so we had to go basically in the middle of the road to get around him not sure what he was trying to prove but we had a good laugh at him anyway.  Funny how if something were to happen like say if these people were to be snowed in after a big snow storm and had no power and no way to leave their house and a "snowmobiler" would to come to there aid they would have no problem taking the help i'm sure..

Tourism Ontario should be packaging and sending those maps out for free, and picking up the tab for the printing and distribution.

Longer than that!! When I used to go to the Fire College (15+ years ago) there was never anyone there. A bunch of us went there from the college for dinner and swore never to return.

Every year when I go into town from my sister's I still never see anyone there right to this day.

I was there a few weeks ago and had wings, Was a Thursday night and only 5 people in for wings, Talking to the owner he said when the trail came to the place he was busy as all get out. He put on a 5000 sq ft addition and now the trail does not go to the restaurant and he gets next to no business... Funny thing he says I should ask for the trail to come back here... lol

It's right across the friggin' street!!!!

Archived