WASAGA BEACH SNOW FEST JAN 4 N 5 2014

NASDRA

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a like button.

And so you shall have it.....

I have enabled the reputation system.  You can now vote Positive or Negative or each post.  :)

Mike Walker, CTV Barrie 

Published Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:50PM EST 

Wasaga Beach is famous for its stunning, long stretch of sand crowded all summer with thousands of tourists. 

But now the town is looking at a new way to bring those visitors back in the winter months. 

This time of year there isn't much happening along the main strip in Wasaga Beach. Most shops and restaurants are closed and the beach is empty. Nancy McLauchlin manages one of the few hotels that stay open all year.

PHOTOS

image.jpg

“If our trails aren't open its very quiet,” she says.

Joe Bickerstaff is with a group planning to bring a new snowmobile drag racing event to Beach Area One the first weekend in January to help bolster tourism during the off season.

“Snowmobiling is a big part of the economics in Wasaga Beach. We are a tourist resort town,” says Bickerstaff. “Of course everyone knows the beach in the summer time, but we want to bring the people back in winter.”

Dubbed ‘Sled Fest,’ the event will feature drag racing and would be sanctioned by the North American Snowmobile Drag Racing Association. It will be open to anyone who has a snowmobile.

Wasaga Beach council gave the event the green-light last night.

George Vadeboncoeur is the town's CAO.

“We do have a long snowmobile history and we look at this event to bring help our businesses that are traditionally slow this time of year,” he says.

Organizers expect 200 sledders to participate and the event to draw up to 3,000 people to the area.

Sandy Smardenka owns one of many businesses hoping to cash in on Sled Fest.  Her restaurant depends on snowmobilers when the trails are open.

“It means we're going to be busy. It's all weather driven,” she says. “If we don't have the snow we don't have the tourism.”

McLauchlin is hoping the event will draw large crowds to fill rooms that are usually vacant during this time of year.

“I would love to have us almost full the first weekend in January because that's usually one of the quietest weekends we have in the winter,” she says.

The weather will play a big part of that success but organizers aren't worried. Depending on the conditions it will cost the town anywhere between $10,000 and $45,000 to help build the race track. That’s from money available in the budget.

Sled Fest is scheduled to happen on Jan. 4 and 5, and depending on its success the town will consider whether it should be an annual event.

Read more: http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/wasaga-beach-bids-for-winter-tourists-with-snowmobile-race-1.1575020#ixzz2n0MJLzzA

That's a lot of cake for the town to lay out for a track snack.gif

Quite a range as well!  Big difference between 10K and 45 K, IMO!

If anyone is getting "threatening texts" or anything of the like from a number 9058060552, that is Johns cellphone number. To say that the event is not supported by CJ is complete bs, if you look at the title sponsors on the advertisement "Beach 3 Eatery" is owned by John. 

If anyone is getting "threatening texts" or anything of the like from a number 9058060552, that is Johns cellphone number. To say that the event is not supported by CJ is complete bs, if you look at the title sponsors on the advertisement "Beach 3 Eatery" is owned by John. 

Ah.. I miss getting threatening texts from that number.. You have no idea how many chuckles I got from the `Come to my shoop at I`ll kick your ass``..  I guess it`s safe to say that the Hummer is CJs as well..

I am very sure if there is $45k in the budget, John and Linda will have no issue with using every single cent..

One thing some may not have noticed is they talked about having 1000' for the race track and they are going to run 660' of drags.

I am no math whiz but I believe that leaves 340' for shutdown for sleds weighing probably 700 lbs+++ including driver hitting probably 100 mph in that distance.

Maybe part of the $45K will be used for the big catch net at the end.. dimwits!

How can it possibly cost $45 per foot to pack and smooth some snow. I bet the Wasaga snowmobile club would love to have $45K to run a groomer and drag for a couple of days

Iqrockstar is CJ for sure. 

Also, CJ is the reason for the Arctic Cat/Monter Energy snocross race team folding because he stole the budget and they were left with nothing. I can get into detail if CJ would like.

Is that the team Iain Heyden was racing for? 

Is that the team Iain Heyden was racing for? 

No, this was 3 seasons ago, remember he sent out all that "big news" about the "race team" "his" dealership made (which he never had a single penny into) Well when the team was started he walked off with the budget. 

HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ROCKSTAR TEAM, he knows of the owner and wants people to think he is associated with them when he isn't. 

i'm not getting it, if this guy is such a scam why has nobody confronted him by now? if someone one wronged me or stole money from me, they would get a change to explain it to me not over the internet.

i'm not getting it, if this guy is such a scam why has nobody confronted him by now? if someone one wronged me or stole money from me, they would get a change to explain it to me not over the internet.

He has been a run away until now, most he has scammed had no idea where he was. I have known where he was for a while, as I know him. 

He hops from job to job, usually dead end jobs, his last one before a groomer was an airport limo driver. 

Archived