Free weekend was a bad idea

WinderFab

I went out free weekend a few years back on a Trip into Manitoba. In 150 miles I almost got hit three times. Amount of sleds had multiplied by at least 5 times or more on the trail that weekend only. Yet no increase in sled permits sold in following years more of a slow decline. I now avoid riding on the free permit weekend or ride out of province!

The free permit weekend does not bring in any more passes, I don't see the point. I'd vote against it if given the chance!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not a fan of the free wknd either as Ive mentioned in another thread.  I can understand to a point the reasoning off offering the free try our trails weekend, in hopes will produce more sales in years to come, but I seriously wonder what percentage increase it delivers.  If they want to continue some heavy thinking should be done as to either changing it to a day or same wknd as Quebec or every other year.    While on the Quebec topic, how many of us take advantage of their free weekend with little to no intentions on purchasing a trail permit their.....   Ive never been on free weekend but have in the past purchased their 3-day permit.  

1 hour ago, jrhz06 said:

We had quite a heated discussion.

Well good for you... it's the right thing to do when your in the right...

There are groups of snowmobilers that do their Lake running at the cottage and a few night rides on the trails every winter without permits. Then the peckerheads get a whole long weekend to rip it up for free with no intention of buying a permit because they now have a great routine that saves them money. As somebody whose family volunteers locally it is very maddening. 

15 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

There are groups of snowmobilers that do their Lake running at the cottage and a few night rides on the trails every winter without permits. Then the peckerheads get a whole long weekend to rip it up for free with no intention of buying a permit because they now have a great routine that saves them money. As somebody whose family volunteers locally it is very maddening. 

Many seem to overlook that as they portage from lake to lake (some extensive) they are on private property that we have land use permits for and are paying for insurance to cover the landowners.

The no increase in permits is a very hard sell seeing as the permits sales have increased over last year.

I was out Saturday and the traffic was stupid for the most part.

many of the sleds I saw with the free permit were older sleds, classic permit material.

I just came back froi a ride today and there was very little traffic, which surprised me.

Trails rated from a 2 to 8 out of 10.

i can see the point of the free weekend pass, have a 97 xlt that gets 30km a year at best nice to get that extra sled out for a run once a year and here lies where i think it needs to be changed, free pass sleds need to be accompanied by a full permit sled in order to access our trail system on the family day weekend (also think the same about the fishing licenses ) might keep the hooligans at bay, but regardless we need bodys to enforce it on the trail.

this weekend as i mentioned in another post majority of freebe sleds were with full permit sleds in kawarthas hali caygeon area and never seen so many pogo sticks on the trails  

Thanks Blake! Trails look surprisingly good. Did you trailer up? If not, how was the D on the way up?  I stayed home this weekend with these temperatures and extra traffic. "Muskoka Update" please update me somebody. Lol

On the free pass weekend issue, end it as it is. Maybe work out something for permit holders to get their vintage/spare sleds out once a season.   

Well we were out this weekend using the free weekend passes on our vintage sleds.We toured around coldwater and waubaushene for two days and the railline from orillia to coldwater today.Saturday was excellent, Sunday soso and today was well... a ride.We did approx. 50 miles in total had a lot of fun.If the free weekend gets pulled I'd still get a two day pass at some point in the season between vintage shows to run them on the trails.Would be nice if a season permit holder was allowed one  one day free pass with their seasonal. Chances are permit holders would be the ones to have an extra machine or vintage machine licensed and valtagged like ourselves.

20170219_114436.jpg

Hill and Gully groomed both nights ,trails were mint here in Port sydney sunday and Monday mornings and bumpy later on ,Hats off to H&G for keeping there trails in this shape with the traffic and warmth we seen this weekend 

Saw an Sr viper longtrack off the side of the trail that looked kind of odd.

The rails where V shaped.

Somebody didn't have a good weekend

Well, I saw some pretty wild riding on Saturday in a few spots. Some younger guys, on $1500 type sleds, 90's stuff.

Others were riding like they were farther from home than usual, and acted accordingly. No accidents, or close calls.

I think these guys have to start somewhere. I'd bet their cars don't cost $2500. I sure don't begrudge them a day out.

I went out with a neighbor, who is an occasional ditch banger/field blaster. He primarily has his sled for cottage duty, over on the Quebec side. He's a LEO, and a good one.

We did 125k.

He is DEFINITELY buying a pass next year. Going to be my new local riding buddy.

I took yesterday (Sunday) off, having ridden Thursday, Friday, and again Friday night, until LATE.

Today, I did a bit of sled maintenance, then decided @ 2 to see if the trails were finished. Blues sky, and +2.

I rode until 6. Another 130k. Trails were fine here. A bit of washboard here and there, but firm, if not hard for the most part.

I met a land owner out on an old 'Doo, with his dog. Had a great chat, and thanked him for his time, and his work, and his gift of access. I doubt he would have been out were it not for the free weekend. He was 5 or 6 farms away from his property.

I came across a straggler on a twisty forest section of about 10k or so,

2 up, on an old single seater, the kid on the back was bouncing and hanging on for dear life. Driver, I'd guess 16 or so, was doing his best, and oblivious to me, until I found a safe place to scoot by.

I halted a guy on a Sidewinder at the trail exit, and asked him to let the kids out before he went in. Good guy.

Then I saw the rest of the straggler's group. About 3 families, 10-12 sleds, Mostly newer, mostly trail passed, asking if I'd seen their lost sheep.

I assured them I had, and wished them a great FAMILY day. About 5 minutes into our chat, their was a family reunion of a sort as that old 'Poo popped out of the trail.

Felt warm all over. 

I had an AWESOME day.

Sorry for the novel, but there has to be a way to keep an open door to the trails. I met some great people today.

Maybe a small handful of guest passes with every trail pass? An option to buy some with your trail pass?

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Saw an Sr viper longtrack off the side of the trail that looked kind of odd.

The rails where V shaped.

Somebody didn't have a good weekend

Probably fun up until that point. 

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Hill and Gully groomed both nights ,trails were mint here in Port sydney sunday and Monday mornings and bumpy later on ,Hats off to H&G for keeping there trails in this shape with the traffic and warmth we seen this weekend 

Sometimes i think we're spoiled by HGR. Hope the rain isnt too bad this week. 

Thanks for sharing the pics Kerry of the Rupp and Scorpion. I love seeing the vintage iron. They look minty!

I gather Quebec was the 1st with the free weekend then Ontario joined?

I know this is our second year here in Manitoba and this weekend you can sled in Ontario, Minnesota, North Dakota and Sask for free as part of Sledding without Borders weekend

I am thinking most provincial and state organization now have free weekends

The huge problem is the warm weather everyone had, trails are shot out here after today for the most part, grass mud, creeks all opening up :(

I am curious as too how many people took their sleds out without registering with the OFSC thinking it was a free for all? I know many did here even though you are suppose to register online

We have the DNR(mnr) here that patrol the odd time but I have seen them 5 times in 9yrs , had one last week, interesting and great attitude he had,if you had your pass in your back pack/trunk you were charged for not displaying your permit, nothing like seeing a guy in MNR clothing riding a new Renegade Backcountry 600 with a pistol

It was also free fishing weekend too, I guess $20 license is a touch too steep for people

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

Great vid Blake! an thanks for the feedback!

8 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Hopefully the Clubs have had enough of this Free Family Day Weekend.  I have been preaching against this badly conceived program for years.

It is absolutely the wrong thing to be doing and needs to be terminated at the next AGM by a Motion.  There are many reasons why this promotion is done, highlighted moreso this season by the mild weather and heavy traffic destroying the trails for the paying customers.

What other business gives away their product at the busiest weekend of the year.  Answer: Nobody but the OFSC!

It will pass easily by a vote of the Clubs.  This turkey is done, let's kill it.

Cancelling this for next year may also be an effective way to let the Provincial Ministers of both Transportation and Tourism know that there is serious issues in organized snowmobiling that they have done nothing about, such as legal liability, insurance claims, diminished on trail enforcement of Freeloaders, amend MSVA to provide to higher minimum fines and allow Trail Patrol to swear out an Infraction Notice similar to Quebec.  In addition, encourage Lmandowners to agree to have public trails on their land by implementing tax credits.  A great idea to salvage a PR disaster known as Bill 100.  Further, provide more, not less funds for Groomers and Trails.

The Federal Government supports snowmobiling in Quebec but for some unknown reason doesn't reciprocate in Ontario and most other provinces.

Organized snowmobiling in Ontario is at a major crossroads, in another 5 years there will be only be pockets of trails unless major improvements can be made to stop the deterioration.

Go to Bonfield Snowmobile Club's Facebook page and read their woes and they are undoubtedly one of the best Clubs in District 11 but they are extremely discouraged and the future looks dim in their minds.  I suspect there are dozens of Clubs in the same situation.

I also think the Trail Permits are too cheap, especially with such a high proportion being sold in October taking advantage of the Early, Early Bird pricing.

I share the exact same frustrations as you do for all that you said. Both with the freeloaders and us not having proper enforcement or the proper tools to do so unlike Quebec! As well to finally abolish this crazy freeloader weekend! It was leaning towards an end last agm but again you get those very very few clubs mainly from down south speaking in favour for it as they apparently see numbers to support it which is crazy!!!!! 3/4 or more of the clubs in the province DONT see the numbers to support it and its basically putting a slap in the face of PAYING permit buyers! Do the province, the permit buyers and most of the hard working volunteers a favour and VOTE NO at the upcoming agm to abolish it or at the very least have it every 3 years or so and NOT on the long weekend! Perhaps the same date as quebec. 

An for christ sake amend and update the MSVA already! we need higher fines for the freeloaders and more enforcement tools available to trail patrol. 

"Unintended consequences" - that's what' happened with Family Day Free Ride.

Noticed a cottage neighbour had his sled out Free Weekend. Also noticed that for the first time in 10 years, he didn't have a trail pass. His explanation - young kids, etc..."I ride the lake a few times". Meet my buddies once (Free Ride weekend) and do a longer trip. Enough for him.

Get rid of it. 

I need to vent, sorry.

We seem to be having shorter winters which is frustrating in itself. Then we have people who choose to ride without buying permits, those who ride wherever they choose ignoring the "stay on trail" signs and those who run extremely loud cans in populated areas, both of which irritate land owners and cause us to lose trails. 

And what does the OFSC do? They give away free access to an already strained trail system and reduce Trail Patrol coverage. 

As someone who buys a trail pass and spends considerable time and effort as a volunteer I feel like I've wasted my money and time. I haven't seen any enforcement on the trails in 3 years and over 5000 kms of riding. Why buy a permit, the odds of getting caught are low and the fine isn't any more than the cost of the permit anyway. Why volunteer, you get a warm weekend where trails will take a beating so lets have an additional 10000 people, who don't contribute to the trail system in any manner, ride for free.

Yes, I'll continue to buy a permit and might even continue to volunteer my time. The question is how many more PAYING, CONTRIBUTING riders are getting as frustrated as I am with the broken system that we currently have.

43 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

I need to vent, sorry.

We seem to be having shorter winters which is frustrating in itself. Then we have people who choose to ride without buying permits, those who ride wherever they choose ignoring the "stay on trail" signs and those who run extremely loud cans in populated areas, both of which irritate land owners and cause us to lose trails. 

And what does the OFSC do? They give away free access to an already strained trail system and reduce Trail Patrol coverage. 

As someone who buys a trail pass and spends considerable time and effort as a volunteer I feel like I've wasted my money and time. I haven't seen any enforcement on the trails in 3 years and over 5000 kms of riding. Why buy a permit, the odds of getting caught are low and the fine isn't any more than the cost of the permit anyway. Why volunteer, you get a warm weekend where trails will take a beating so lets have an additional 10000 people, who don't contribute to the trail system in any manner, ride for free.

Yes, I'll continue to buy a permit and might even continue to volunteer my time. The question is how many more PAYING, CONTRIBUTING riders are getting as frustrated as I am with the broken system that we currently have.

Lots.

Went riding yesterday and almost got into a fight with one of these freeloaders.  He was ripping through a farmer's field off trail so I flipped him the bird.  He comes around and buzzes by me CLOSE TO MY RIGHT.  Catch up to him and he takes off across the river.  Me and my son wait to see if he breaks through the ice.  While we're sitting for a while, he comes back and stops, looking at us, while I'm screaming at him to stay on the trails.  He has no trail pass on his old POS Yammi.  When he sees I have a helmet cam, he just does a stupid ass wave and takes off.  Later saw his sled parked at the local drinking hole.  We decided to just keep riding to avoid a confrontation with the liquored up idiot.

Also stopped a couple of times to pick up beer cans.

The trails were thrashed and I attribute it more to the increase of sleds more than the weather.  The only long weekend of the winter where it might be the only time that a PAYING trail pass family might be able to go and enjoy the trails on a trip is ruined with so much traffic, disruptions and idiots that couldn't care less about the trail system.  It's like giving away booze.  It attracts idiots only for that weekend that have no concept of stewardship/ownership of the trail system.  The whole idea of "trying" OUR trails is an idiotic one.  It's a trail.  What is there to try?  It's not like you need to see if your sled will fit the trails?  It's not a free weekend that will convince these cheapskates to pay for a pass.  I know that every year the free weekend comes up, I avoid it but this year was exceptional.

Time to deep six this stupidity.

I did see an exception to what appears to be way too common on the free weekend. C trail south of Port Severn the trail goes around the outside of a field and then back into the trees. I watched as three sleds with the free weekend pass left the house and farm building on the other side of the field and ran the edge of the field and tree line to join the trail. I anticipate they were the landowner and family or friends. Judging by the coats and pants they were wearing and the speeds they were traveling I don't imagine they ride often and perhaps this is the only weekend or they just stay on their own property. We gave each other a wave and enjoyed our respective days.

I still don't agree with the free weekend though.  

So we all seem to agree this is moronic...what can we do about it?....when and where is the AGM and who gets to vote???

We rode from Gloucester Pool north to Bala and went around Lake Muskoka counter-clockwise. Saw very few sleds on the way to Bala (left at 8:30) and didn't notice a huge number of riders all day considering it was the free weekend. There were a few large groups in the afternoon but nothing to complain about and the trails were in good shape although melting fast. I wouldn't say that I endorse the free weekend considering how short the season is now but I can't say that I had the same negative experience as most have described here.

Well here is another reason to scrap the Family Day Weekend.

I just checked our Facebook Page and always reply to messages or inquiries.

Today we had a guy leave a 1 star rating for our Club and yesterday a gal left a 3 star rating.  Neither left a comment as to what particular issues they had.  Previously we had people leaving comments about a trail which wasn't even our Club.

People, what do you expect when it is +8C or thereabouts with sun shining and compounded by huge traffic.

Some Clubs groomed on the weekend, we didn't until yesterday.

Archived