Free weekend was a bad idea

WinderFab

On February 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Guy JR said:

Whats everyone's opinion on the "freeloaders" who are also landowners and allow the trail to pass through there property.  My hunt camp is near Restoule and we have a few guys that have old sleds that only ride the trails on the free weekend.  Most just use there sleds to bomb around home off trails and to visit neighbors.  They do allow the trail to cross there hunt camp which would cut off access on the section from Nippissing to Restoule.

isn't restoule mostly crown land though to my knowledge? 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Guy JR said:

You are correct at Mostly.  Critical access to the village is private.

Any Chance you know Hal that use to own Crow's nest resort in Town. My family use to have a hunting camp in the area too, on crown land. Small world. So no one can stop riders from using the lake to go into and out of town, if access was closed?

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Any Chance you know Hal that use to own Crow's nest resort in Town. My family use to have a hunting camp in the area too, on crown land. Small world. So no one can stop riders from using the lake to go into and out of town, if access was closed?

I have met all the Owners since the early 80s.  Spent many a evening in the Crows Nest.  From what I understand no one can stop riders from using the lake for access.  I'm not an expert though so use my advice at your own risk, lol.

On 22/02/2017 at 8:17 PM, soupkids said:

I wonder what percentage of permits buyers actually stay off the trails the free weekend because of the ass hats

Wow.  That'said exactly what a permit buyer said to me today.  "I stayed off the trails on Freeloader weekend , only to have trails melt this weekend".

2 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Wow.  That'said exactly what a permit buyer said to me today.  "I stayed off the trails on Freeloader weekend , only to have trails melt this weekend".

So how do we get this changed to say first weekend in Jan for three days. Make it last friday, saturday and sunday before children go back to school. I think it should stay just be moved to earlier in the year and then it may serve it intended purpose.

17 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

So how do we get this changed to say first weekend in Jan for three days. Make it last friday, saturday and sunday before children go back to school. I think it should stay just be moved to earlier in the year and then it may serve it intended purpose.

If it isn't cancelled this would be the next best thing.

9 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Permit types and prices for the 2017-2018 season are already approved based on the motion passed at AGM last fall So you cant cancel the Try Our Trails Permit experiment. You might be able to get it moved though. It would look something like this at AGM in Sept 2017;

Moved by _________________________, and seconded by_______________________________, that the date for Try Our Trails Permit for the 2017-2018 season be changed to December 30, 2017 to Jan 1, 2018. For the 2018-2019 Season and beyond  the Try Our Trails Permit will no longer be offered.

(Note: Jan 1, 2018 is a Monday so you could continue the Friday-Monday long weekend)

And let the delegates decide.

40 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Permit types and prices for the 2017-2018 season are already approved based on the motion passed at AGM last fall So you cant cancel the Try Our Trails Permit experiment. You might be able to get it moved though. It would look something like this at AGM in Sept 2017;

Moved by _________________________, and seconded by_______________________________, that the date for Try Our Trails Permit for the 2017-2018 season be changed to December 30, 2017 to Jan 1, 2018. For the 2018-2019 Season and beyond  the Try Our Trails Permit will no longer be offered.

(Note: Jan 1, 2018 is a Monday so you could continue the Friday-Monday long weekend)

And let the delegates decide.

It's a sad statement that unlike any business in existence we cannot react to changing situations any faster than almost two years ahead. Here it is Feb 2017 and all we can do is talk about it now, get alignment from your club then your district then make a motion in Sept 2017 that can't be implemented until 2018/2019. Essentially the impact of what we see and feel in Feb 2017 doesn't take effect until Feb 2019 which would if successful be the time the program is cancelled. Can you imagine if a business realized they MADE A BAD DECISION and were impacting their paying customer base and they had to wait two years to change that. As a business they would be out of business. I have believed this for a very long time that the OFSC MUST BE MORE AGILE AND RESPONSIVE to the needs and expectations of their members. No matter how you look at it the OFSC is in fact a business.

Weekend of Jan 1st is a bit early for almost every place in the province.

I would not have a problem making it a later weekend in Jan and only for 2 days

Here's a crazy idea, make the try our trails, any 2 days that you want, $ 35.00 per day.  I haven't been out for the freeloaders, or trash our trails, weekend for the last 3 years.

Lol

17 minutes ago, steve c said:

Here's a crazy idea, make the try our trails, any 2 days that you want, $ 35.00 per day.  I haven't been out for the freeloaders, or trash our trails, weekend for the last 3 years.

Neat idea but hard to enforce when your 2 days are up.  Like the idea of a donation of say $20 to MADD etc, to participate in the weekend though.

Im just saying, they should eliminate the free weekend. Just use the multi day passes that they already have.

13 minutes ago, steve c said:

Im just saying, they should eliminate the free weekend. Just use the multi day passes that they already have.

Or if they want to do a promo have a buy one get one free 1day pass on a January weekend 

6 hours ago, soupkids said:

Weekend of Jan 1st is a bit early for almost every place in the province.

I would not have a problem making it a later weekend in Jan and only for 2 days

There is usually trails some where, if it is a good year. Other option is make it same weekend as Quebec weekend. 

14 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Nothing will change. You are overlooking the relationship with Ontario Tourism (and the various tourism schemes, publications, and free lance writers involved in tourism promotion) the government that created the Family Day weekend in the first place, the OFSC, and those such as Craig Nicholson and the Snowtrax Lesters who are now the official promoters for the OFSC for the next 8 years. It won't matter what those 'on the ground' such as regular permit holders have to say.

The government has to brag that they spent X amount of dollars each year on tourism. The government itself does not spend the money - it is funneled out to others to do so. From time to time, a company (generally with ties to the government) does an audit of whatever scheme is running and can usually come up with a way to justify whatever money is spent. I mean who doesn't want to introduce new people to snowmobiling? Tough sh*t if a few permit holders complain.

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Nothing will change. You are overlooking the relationship with Ontario Tourism (and the various tourism schemes, publications, and free lance writers involved in tourism promotion) the government that created the Family Day weekend in the first place, the OFSC, and those such as Craig Nicholson and the Snowtrax Lesters who are now the official promoters for the OFSC for the next 8 years. It won't matter what those 'on the ground' such as regular permit holders have to say.

The government has to brag that they spent X amount of dollars each year on tourism. The government itself does not spend the money - it is funneled out to others to do so. From time to time, a company (generally with ties to the government) does an audit of whatever scheme is running and can usually come up with a way to justify whatever money is spent. I mean who doesn't want to introduce new people to snowmobiling? Tough sh*t if a few permit holders complain.

And what other tourism businesses are giving away their product or services for 3 days on their potentially busiest weekend of the season?

Motels, restaurants, snowmobile dealers, gas stations, the Government suspending HST?

Answer: Nobody but the OFSC is giving away their product at one of the busiest times of the year AND pissing off their paying customers to boot!

Secondly, we need to get this Government's attention and help.  Suspending Family Day Weekend may help do that but I am doubtful.

I think we are all a little more upset this year because of the warm weather and exttra traffic really killed the trails this time.Add this to most trails being closed now really stings.Im for a free try but not on family day .My bil had a old sled and used it a couple of free weekends ,now him and his son have 2 newer sleds ,buy 2 permits every year and love the sport.So it does work 

5 hours ago, slomo said:

Still Butt hurt because you can't get published? 

You always have that go to reference to Craig, the Lester's. Would you rather not see marketing at all? 

You have strongly spoke negatively about others who have helped with marketing our Provincial trail system for the ofsc in the past. Whether it be a contracted writer, or volunteer....

We could always stop marketing and let you write your "articles" as you call them, on this forum that the majority of permit buyers don't even know about...

Tourism schemes, now that is laughable...

It's winter and the local economy needs a boost...  Don't think so? Ask the many sponsors on this very forum why they are advertising here....

17 hours ago, steve c said:

Good idea!

22 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

You always have that go to reference to Craig, the Lester's. Would you rather not see marketing at all? 

You have strongly spoke negatively about others who have helped with marketing our Provincial trail system for the ofsc in the past. Whether it be a contracted writer, or volunteer....

We could always stop marketing and let you write your "articles" as you call them, on this forum that the majority of permit buyers don't even know about...

It's winter and the local economy needs a boost...  Don't think so? Ask the many sponsors on this very forum why they are advertising here....

I see nothing wrong with what Slomo said. In fact he makes a valid point.

That being said most people fail to realise that social media is way more powerful than mainstream media is now and we are better for it. Those OFSC mags and supertrax are really just big advertisement brochures and nothing more.

It is disappointing for this to continue, especially when people are taking advantage of it to not buy a full season permit. If it was truly just family's out there putting around on old iron, the trails wouldn't get damaged much. This isn't the case. Longer this goes on the more people will get on a free band wagaon and not buy a full season permit.

4 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Good idea!

I see nothing wrong with what Slomo said. In fact he makes a valid point.

That being said most people fail to realise that social media is way more powerful than mainstream media is now and we are better for it. Those OFSC mags and supertrax are really just big advertisement brochures and nothing more.

There was a show on in the past couple of weeks talking of a definitive shift. Magazine circulation had been on the decline during the earlier years of the electronic option. Magazines and print media in general is now seeing a very significant year after year increase in print subscriptions for the past few years. It seems that surveys are showing that when people are wanting to relax and read a magazine or even a book they are making a conscious decision to "disconnect". The electronic subscriptions are decreasing in proportion to the total subscriptions.

That is not dismissive of social media, just the preferences for material are and will continue to shift and evolve.

18 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Never have tried to get published Yukon - the ride reports I have posted here on the forum have been

for my own and the forum's amusement....which got me thinking....

Coming up on retiring in a few years and have considered 'publishing' such things as I'll need

enjoyable things to do once I've got more time. My sister works as a writer for a related

provincial government department - we've done a bit of research into this possibility and some

interesting points have emerged.

Contrary to what some say, you can make better than 'gas money' from this pursuit. She has a log-in

on this forum and has added some constructive criticism about altering my writing style - my ride

reports were tailored more to the forum audience as opposed to a broader view. Noticed this right

away with my first trip to Kap at Xmas while captioning photos in my head. There are other

strategies of audience reach but I'll not mention them at this time. Having had some experience

working in news reporting and related things and doing quite well, I have a few

transferable skills that will come in handy.

Sure okay, a few people make a few bucks on snowmobiling...what I can't stand is laziness, greed or

both. According to Nicholson's last story about Sudbury, only one motel noted? Despite his claim in

the same publication that he supports sponsors as much as he can, even a drunken cursory look at

the STP trail maps would indicate quite a few other motels with trail access (including Chateau

Guay, next to the Moonlight) why only one place mentioned? Story on Cochrane? Same . Orillia - backs

the Best Western with the highest prices, the poorest trail access, and far less access to

restaurants than the other Best Western which shows up at the Toronto sled show every year with a

sledder's special. No wonder sledders rely more on revrnd's accomodation list than on this person's

paid opinion.

Are we to surmise that Mr. Nicholson is greedy and only makes mention of places from which he gets

a discount or free accomodation? Or is he lazy and doesn't research as well as a good reporter

should. You know him better than I do. I'll also add that in my talks with various tourism

operators some are increasingly irritated about contributing dollars to Ontario tourism marketing

schemes such as that highway blue sign program and regional publications, only to find that a

provincially funded writer has left them out of a story or off a 'best of' list.

The largesse for writers of this type might be slimmer in the future, as according to my brother in

law, an accountant at the CRA, there is an indication that loaners, demos, and trial products may

begin to be taxed much the same way as taxable benefits for wage earners. (same intiative as when

taxing company sponsored medical and benefit plans were considered and rejected) So a demo sled

depreciated using the declining balance method (say at 20%) divided by the number of days the sled

is in the borrower's possession, is certainly going to negatively affect that person's bottom line.

Keep good records.

As for the Lesters, their boosterism type of publication has its place in any recreational pursuit,

and at this they do a pretty good job. However, when the commercial aspects of thier operation

start to influence whatever truth might be found in their magazine, sledders are getting a bad

deal. Two to three articles on hurray for off trail riding and then a sob story about how they

aren't related to the problems caused by it? Whatever Lester published the last story referred to

himself as a 'reporter' - not by my definition.

Needless to say, neither Mr. Nicholson or the Lesters welcome my opinions on their web sites or

facebook pages, so I express the other side of the coin on this forum.

Archived