lock your doors, Dub here we come

skidooboy

well, long time coming this year, Lynne and I are off on our first, and last trip of the season. heading to dub for fishing, and fun. hoping to catch Ernie open, so we can get a tasty burger, or two. if time and internet permits, I will post updates. staying at the relais magpie. Ski 

Skidooboy

have a great  time sounds  like they have plenty of snow for you.

keep us up-dated 

Greg

you're cutting it close

Not a chance .... I think there's more snow now than this time last year, and by a  good margin.  Trails will be like concrete after yesterday's rain and overnight temperature drop, but they'll be rideable for 2 weeks yet.  And the lakes and back country is no worries either !!!

Not a chance .... I think there's more snow now than this time last year, and by a  good margin.  Trails will be like concrete after yesterday's rain and overnight temperature drop, but they'll be rideable for 2 weeks yet.  And the lakes and back country is no worries either !!!

Los of snow in dub. Had to be several feet of trail base alone. I stepped off trail and snow was waist deep and I wasn't at the bottom either.

well, we have arrived at Dubreuilville, other than being insulted by a forum member :D , and falling on the lake fishing, pretty good day on the sleds. we drove up to the soo Thursday night, I finished my work from the hotel in the morning remotely, and we bought supplies. I have NEVER saw the soo on the Ontario side so empty. NO ONE was out, almost EVERYTHING but, fast food closed (good Friday). picked up our 3 year fishing licenses, and bait, and set out for Dub.

the powers that be, found they wanted wind generators more than protecting the natural beauty of the area around Montreal River Harbour. so far there are 9 of the eyesores, on the top of 5 mile hill. I am not a tree hugger by any means but... I was very sad and upset seeing these in the picturesque mountain area of Algoma/Agawa.

just north of Montreal River, a small sport utility vehicle hauling a trailer caught and passed us, while passing they were motioning, and holding a flyer in the window. the flyer was for the Relais Magpie, the driver looked very familiar, I let them know that is where we are going, he told us, that he owned it... then I realized, it was Pat Dubreuil. LOL!

when we arrived in wawa, Lynnes phone rang with an Ontario number, we thought it might be Big Reg, or Nicole from Gaston.... it was Pat. he called the hotel, retrieved our number, and called to ask if we wanted to stop in wawa for lunch. LOL! talk about GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! We have known Pat for awhile but, hadn't saw him in 10 years or so.

we caught up over lunch at the wawa motor inn, then finished the drive to dub. the hotel renovations are AWESOME! THE ROOMS ARE FABULOUS. they need a few bits of final tweaking for sledders (mostly coat hooks and such) but, they are soooooooooooo much better than when the previous owner let the place go down hill. I am very excited for the community to have this, and motivated owners/operators again. this is a good thing for the region, and for Dub itself.

we were waaaay behind for getting to the lake for fishing today so, we unpacked, geared up, and I ran into another Chap who asked how the trails were, with his quiet, non smoking 4 stroke sled, and bland riding gear  :D I told him we had just arrived minutes before. I was pretty short with him, as I needed to get to the lake to meet our friends from Chez Gaston, that were waiting for us there.  sorry Slomo, I didn't know it was you! LOL!

beautiful blue bird ride out, the weather was perfect for what we were doing. we made it to the secret spot ;) the trails are flat, with a little loose ice, pellets from traffic for lube, and cooling, (hoping they don't groom, it would make it impossible for our long tracks, longer lugs). with scratchers we were ok, but, if it sets up solid, everyone will over heat without warmer loose snow. we set up, and caught up with Nicole and Alain, and their family who were up for the long holiday. we caught a few fish (1 Pike, 6 walleye, and missed a few, broke off one big one). (the pic with lynne has the moon in the background)

on the way to a flag on a tip up, I hit some glare ice running, and my feet went up over my head, and I slammed to the ice, hitting back, neck and bounced my head off the ice. not a nice way to start the trip but, I was semi ok.

the way home was mostly uneventful, with a BEAUTIFUL, FULL MOON, ride in, making sure the whole towns groups made it back safely. had a few issues with liquid cooled sleds with no scratchers but, arrived back into town about 10pm or so. we tucked the sleds in for the night, and then had a snack, and drugs for my boo boo, and tried to get some rest. with the pain I had, it was tough... I didn't sleep much.

we are up this am, writing this to you, watching the snow fall (seriously), waiting for the trails to loosen up, or more snow to fall, to go ride. I know we want to go to Ernies, maybe, we can hook up with the curmudgeon and his quiet sled, and get a burger :D if, he will be seen with us. LOL!

Ski  

post-19738-0-27789800-1428150651_thumb.j

post-19738-0-43583400-1428150814_thumb.j

post-19738-0-17295200-1428150921_thumb.j

post-19738-0-28097100-1428150981_thumb.j

Nice report!  Hope you aren't in pain for too long!

I see Slomo made an impression!!!

great report,hope your pain doesn't hold you back today

Thanks for writing. I'm looking forward to part 2

I see Slomo made an impression!!!

Not much of an impression I am afraid, SJ. Despite how pleasingly the word 'pi ke ral' flows off the tongue, they still insist on 'walleye'. At least we have 'pike' in common.

Nice pics for sure, gotta get some of those slip-on boot traction aids for ice like that !

Heal up quick, sledding season is getting short !!!  Nice fish btw !

no pics from yesterday my point and shoot camera crapped out. :(

I was able to meet Slomo after I interrupted his shower :D we had a nice visit poking fun at one another. he provided us with some oc decals so we can mark "our territory"

Nicole and Alain from Chez Gaston, came over for a visit at the magpie relais as well. we sat and talked shop with Pat traded a few stories with him, and some guests. he was kind enough to take my better half on a complete tour of all the features of the remodeling of the motel, including but, not limited to a spa for the ladies, and man cave for the gents. I cant stress how much the place has changed, it is a must see destination in your travels up here.

after the morning visits, we headed over to the grocery store, picked up some needed provisions for nothing being open when we return from the lake at night, and the easter holiday. we met up with Big Reg, and his wife, and their son now works at the grocery. he is growing up sooooo fast. also, saw several other towns people we know, and haven't saw in quite some time. the people here, have really taken us under their wing, and allowed us to feel very comfortable in the community. they are great, hardworking, salt of the earth type of people. it is a privilege to be called friend here. 

Nicole and Alain had previously invited us for lunch and a place to clean the previous days fish so, we took them up on that, and were able to meet 2 of their 3 children that were up for the holidays. we made a plan to meet on the ice about 400-430pm.

nice ride out again, while leaving town, the local bald eagles including a few juvenile birds were within sight. we headed north on the D108a which has quite a bit of loose snow from previous sleds to make the ride out possible for liquid cooled machines. it was so cold and windy today, you needed the extra lube, and cooling of the loose snow, or travel wouldn't be possible. there is still tons of good snow on the trail, the bush has several feet of snow, this will last several more weeks. the towns and road crossings are a pain but, once on the linked trails, you can day loop, or tour quite a distance up here still.  

the wind was brutal, and howling down the lake,we had a large snow squal come through that lasted about 30 minutes. the early fishing was slow, and it looked for awhile many in the group would not catch a fish, I caught a nice pike first, then there was a long pause until the sun went behind the mountain.... and all hell broke loose.

EVERYONE was catching fish, they turned on hot and heavy, In the blink of an eye. everyone caught several dinner sized fish, and Alain caught a very nice walleye, I believe you may know them as pick er all :D now? it happened to be one of the famed blue pickerel. it was a beauty! the night ended with a mating pair of bald eagles flying over the group right at final sunset, looking for their nightly roost. it was a perfect ending to a blustery cold evening of great fishing with friends.

we packed up for the night, about 830 or so, and made the trek back to town. although our sleds having scratchers didn't have any issues, a few of the older skidoos were overheating on the lakes and portages, until we arrive on the proper club trail where there was significant loose snow to help the situation. we stayed together as a group, making sure everyone was able to make it home safe and sound. we arrived at the motel at about 10pm.

we managed to get a bite to eat, watch the weather to make plans for the next 2 days, which will be the last of our year. the back is still a little sore but, I am trudging along making the best of it. I am really glad we made the effort to come up. the communities up here make the trips memorable.

more to come, but alas, no pics. :( Ski 

Ski

thanks for keeping us up-dated on your trip,the fishing looks great .some good eating for dinner

have a great day the weather looks very comfortable to go fishing.

the pics look good too

we have to get you a new Camera  :icon_photo:

HAPPY EASTER

Greg

yesterday was another great day! we decided to sleep in, clean fish again, LOL! and hang out at the magpie relais for the day. it was a holiday here, and we didn't want to disrupt the family celebrations, and from the previous long days and short nights, I needed a nap or two. ;)

after the morning festivities were over, we made plans to go out to the lakes fishing with Nicole, and Alain's entire family, including Nicole's father Gaston, for whom Chez Gaston is named after. the trails are still in awesome shape, the sun has not been able to melt much due to the cold night time temps. we arrived at the lake and set up near an island that happened to have a mating pair of bald eagles, overlooking our group and making sure we didn't leave any fish on the ice :) they sat and watched us from the time we arrived, until dark. it was amazing to see them interact with one another in spring rituals.

fishing was slow to start, Nicole's family moved to a better spot that Gaston had suggested. he has fished this lake for 40 years or more, and KNOWS a thing or two about how and where to catch fish. Lynne and I  decided to stay, put and wait it out, giving the family some time to themselves without the crazy americans tagging along. from the looks of it, they were having a ball running to the fishing lines, and laughing it up while chasing the fish, hole to hole.

I had thought we made a bad choice not following them... then it started, I missed a few fish on one specific tip up, so the third time I asked my wife to try to catch it. SHE DID! lol! then while rebaiting she caught another before the bait hit the bottom. this gave her the idea to put up, the tip up... and start jigging with a small spoon.

well, that is what the doctor ordered for us. she started catching fish, one after another in rapid order. so I pulled another tip up, and started jigging too. we caught 5-6 a piece in a short period just before dark, we kept our same 5 keepers and no more. we are allowed 8 total between the two of us but, we didn't need to keep a limit for just the 2 of us.

after another spectacular sunset and moon rise, the entire family came over and invited Lynne and I to their home, for a late night fish fry family style. we all rode back into town with one small mishap when an exhaust pipe came loose on one of Nicole's son's sleds.after some quick thinking and a trail side repair, they were off. we arrived in town about 10pm, cleaned up, and headed to the house for fish cleaning, LOTS OF JOKES, AND POKING FUN AT ONE ANOTHER, AND THE BEST HOME MADE FISH FRY LYNNE AND I HAVE HAD, IN ALOOOOOOOONG TIME. all of Nicole, and Alain's son's were there, Gaston and his lovely wife as well, it was an honor to be in their home celebrating friends, and family on easter. we all ate soooooo much food, told so many stories, and laughed ALOT!  We all stayed up waaaaaaaay too late. LOL! it was an amazing way to end the day.

we feel VERY FORTUNATE to have been invited into this family, community. it is another reason why Lynne and I encourage everyone we meet, to come up to northern Ontario's smaller communities.

we have one more day left, we are deciding what to do. I am exhausted from all the long days, and short nights but, we can sleep later. :D

here are some trail, portage, lake pics. some are over exposed or blurry, was using the cell phone. sorry.

Ski

post-19738-0-42386800-1428328149_thumb.j

post-19738-0-50907900-1428328202_thumb.j

post-19738-0-41220100-1428328273_thumb.j

post-19738-0-83500700-1428328319_thumb.j

post-19738-0-50127000-1428328343_thumb.j

post-19738-0-46330800-1428328371_thumb.j

post-19738-0-59808300-1428328399_thumb.j

post-19738-0-38340200-1428328516_thumb.j

Wow, nice catch Lynne !  Great pics, nice to see folks going sleddin' and fishin' like we did in the good old days in Manitouwadge !  We went out only twice this year, seems there's always a sledding weekend in the way of the fishing, maybe I just don't put enough effort into going out.  No matter, plenty of time for that when I win the lottery .... lol !!

Thanks again for sharing !!!

Wow, nice catch Lynne !  Great pics, nice to see folks going sleddin' and fishin' like we did in the good old days in Manitouwadge !  We went out only twice this year, seems there's always a sledding weekend in the way of the fishing, maybe I just don't put enough effort into going out.  No matter, plenty of time for that when I win the lottery .... lol !!

Thanks again for sharing !!!

you can right after me bud 

sorry for the delay on the last days festivities, we were packing up last night, and drove home this am

our last day dawned, bright and sunny like the previous 3 days had. it was to be the warmest day yet for us. we woke late, due to the previous night festivities :D we ate lunch at the LOL! PUB in town, they have a burger VERY CLOSE to Ernie's burgers. they are REAL GROUND BEEF, not processed frozen patties. just an awesome burger and fries. we asked the young lady at the bar, how late we could order a dinner pizza. she let us know to order prior to 800pm and they can have it ready for when we arrive. we did some sight seeing in Dubreuilville, went to the quickie mart but, Luc was out of town but, would return later that evening. went back to the hotel for a quick nap, ordered dinner for after 800pm pick up :D and then off to the trails and bush roads for a bit of antler hunting, and exploring.  

again, the trails were in great shape, the warmer plus temps had the top loose and providing needed slider lube, and cooling for the sleds. we ran into Nicole, and two of her boys heading fishing, and we said our early goodbyes, wished them good luck, as we were going the opposite direction as they were for fishing. and off we went. we played in a few offtrail areas, taking in the scenery, scouring the ground for anything that could resemble an antler but, the snow pack is still very deep and the task seemed unobtainable.

in a flat stretch with a lot of moose tracks, I was looking on trail, and off into the bush a bit, when I noticed an antler stuck between two trees, near the top of the snowpack. what a lucky find. we could have been looking elsewhere, or rushed past, and it would still be out there. LOL! pushing on... the shadows started getting long, and we were near our fuel window, so I stopped and looked at the time and realize we needed to get back to town for food, and to pack up, or our departure tomorrow, would be later than we wanted, making for a late arrival home.

we jumped on the nearest trail, and busted back to town, arriving at the resto at approx. 830pm :D pizza was hot, and good. we returned to the motel, we showed Pat our find, our day, and told him about OC. hopefully they will join in the fun here, and keep us updated on their new offerings. we checked out of the hotel with Pat, they had a great deal going for late season riding, where the first night is regular price, and the remainder of the stay was 25% off. what a great idea, and great help to late season travelers budgets. I hate to be a broken record but, the hotel is a MUST SEE, AND STOP when you are in the region. they try ultra hard to make your stay as comfortable as you want to be. they have up to date info on trail conditions, fishing, and offtrail fun, offer back country guiding as well. stop in and say hi! 

we finished packing about 1100pm with plans to leave early in the am. mission accomplished, we woke and were in the truck before 700am, headed to the quickie mart to grab a coke for me, and coffee for lynne, caught up with Luc and a few towns people. said our last goodbyes, and off we went toward home. on the way down 17 I saw a familiar red dodge truck with two sleds on the back flatbed.... appears our very own Ox couldn't take all the great late season riding talk, and decided to get in on the fun too. we look forward to hear about his adventures next. 

thanks again to oc for the forum here, for ALL OUR MEMBERS, whom have shared there winter travel stories, and support those that do as well. a big thanks to district 13, who has worked very hard in the face of tough situations to keep the system alive, and open, and one of the best destination regions to visit. Lynne and I also want to thank Pat B, and Pat D, from the relais magpie, Luc, Nicole, Alain, and the Dubreuilville snowmobile club, and the Entire Dubreuilville community, friends/family for welcoming us into their family, and treating us with the utmost respect, while visiting there little slice of wilderness heaven.

thank you all, we will be back :D

Eric, and Lynne Kirgis, from Michigan

aka Ski

post-19738-0-83686500-1428454741_thumb.j

post-19738-0-64257800-1428454822_thumb.j

post-19738-0-34986700-1428454960_thumb.j

post-19738-0-18850000-1428455010_thumb.j

post-19738-0-42187300-1428455064_thumb.j

post-19738-0-24099000-1428455125_thumb.j

You actually saw OX? Wow. I thought he was some sort of speculative creature - like the Loch Ness Monster, Yeti, the Abominable Snowman, or Viperules 700. ....:-)

Come back soon you two!

Yep,made it here at 10:00 this morning.

I thought that we may pass you.

We decided at the last minute to load up to beat the rain.

This weekend would have been easier to make, but...

We rode from Anjigami down river for a short day of dam exploration today.

Snow is hero, but what,s best is that the skis aint falling through.

Glad you had a great time Eric.  Thank you for the kind words, It's people like all of you guys that kept us moving along in the hard times... still not over yet but we are going back up and can breathe a bit better now.   You guys are amazing promoters/ambassadors for our area and we are happy to have you guys come here and enjoy this area with us. 

Hey Ox... Nice to see you back in the area.....  Lot's of Snow for this time of year eh.  :)

great story thanks 

x2..thanks!!

Wow now that's a great end of season adventure !

Yes truly agree that the Magpie is goes out of their way for customer service

Glad you guys had a great time.

Archived