Cochrane

Lep

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IQ, I've been "trail riding" in northern Ontario from North Bay to Nakina & Fraserdale to the Sault since 2000 & we've never been short gas out on the trail. Mind you we rolled into D'ville 1 trip & the gas station was out of fuel. Arrangements were made to fuel sledders. W/ the sleds we have, I don't think we would've been carrying enough gas to make it to Missanabie.

Now if you like to take off trail excursions on unplowed roads, your mileage may vary.

Ok, so after seeing a few pics of Cochrane trips on here, and OUR trip fast approaching, what do you recommend carrying with you? Just doing day trips from the Westway..Also i see a few guys with gas cans strapped to the back of their sleds. Are they really needed?

always nice having extra gas...high windsheild,,,handbar mitts...lock de icer & cables to start....

Lock de icer for? And do you carry extra gas?

de icer for trailer locks & yes 2 long tracks carried extra gas when up there...

Hmm, ok thanks for the info..Also do any of you cover your sleds at night? We bought some decent covers at Royal this year..

We have the "light" covers for travelling. We have used them, sometimes. I think if you're going point to point, they're just something else to deal w/ when you're leaving in the morning. If you're staying in 1 place & doing daytrips, they're not as much of an inconvenience. Just take them off the sleds & put them in the truck or trailer for the day.

Hmm, ok thanks for the info..Also do any of you cover your sleds at night? We bought some decent covers at Royal this year..

Nope never bothered. If I did I would just use a thin nylon to keep snow off. Good covers might not be there in the morning.

I always pack a good cable lock and a big honkin pad lock. No real issue if a hotel is busy and there are lots of sleds but if they are few and far between, your become a target. Just lock the skis of two or more sleds together and yours become a thieves headache.

Doonut, we put the cables thru the suspension.

I was @ the Jolly Roger in the 90s when someone had a sled stolen. Cable was thru the skis. Thieves just dropped the skis & slid it away. Also w/ the plastic ski loops, they're probably cutable w/ a decent bolt cutter.

You know, in the early years, we secured our sleds.

Lately, haven't felt the need.

It's when you drop your guard that things happen and it's time to go back to the old system. Thanks for the reminder, group.

Canuck, I think the security concern is more likely to be an issue when you're in town @ a motel as opposed to a lodge or resort in the boonies. Three guys w/ a pickup can "disappear" a sled & be down the highway pretty quick.

Canuck, I think the security concern is more likely to be an issue when you're in town @ a motel as opposed to a lodge or resort in the boonies. Three guys w/ a pickup can "disappear" a sled & be down the highway pretty quick.

No kidding..

The 1st time my buddy went north they were quite concerned about a ratty half ton that kept cruising the motel's parking lot in Chapleau. Nothing went missing, but something didn't look right.

I have heard of people sleeping with a piece of fish line running from their sleds into the motel room with the line tied to them. Only a perception but there seems to be a much bigger concern in Quebec about sled, truck and trailer theft. A lot of the resorts advertised secure compounds with security guards for parking. You don't tend to see that in Ontario.

Lock de icer for? And do you carry extra gas?

Weather can change and it can even rain followed by a cold snap (and more snow hopefully). I had this happen and over night, my throtle cable got ice inside. The key switch could also have an issue. I carry a little squeeze bottle of de-icer ever since. I cannot carry a bulky cover from town to town, but I find a cheap plastic bag from a store and tie one over my controls on each end of the handle bars if the temp is going to warm up. I can brush snow off, but try getting ice out of the inside of a sticking throttle cable!

I carry extra gas. On trail, I have only used it when it got late and no stations were open. I also saved another poor soul 15 miles short of Halfway Haven late one night last year.

I only worry about my sled in the cities, but do not want to carry lock & cable. I usually stay where there is a lockup and keep good insurance on my stuff.

looks like its time to plan another trip to cochrane already....their cold & snowy with groomed trails open to debreuilville & wawa...mid month if nothing opens around here...

Your reading my mind WD I see Timmins is Yellow now

weather doesn't look good around here next wk....like to go for 5 days...3 is too rushed....

We always do 4 days , 2 travel , 2 sledding , usually the day going up we sneak in 100 ks before dark if travel was smooth ,

always nice having extra gas...high windsheild,,,handbar mitts...lock de icer & cables to start....

Bro & I try to split up some of the stuff so we aren't carrying extra stuff. We've got a small set of powersport jumper cables. Haven't had to use them, yet. We have muff/gauntlets for the bars & can strap them to our tunnel bags if we don't need them. In the past we had higher windshields than what we used down south, but since getting the REVs, haven't bothered w/ extra 'shields.

I have a pair of carbides tie wrapped under the hood in the bellypan. I've seen them get bent when crossing railway tracks. This may be more of an issue if your sled has aftermarket skis or an "oddball" style & may not be available at a dealer.

Bro said he'd seen on another website that conditions @ the North Adventure Inn had changed compared to the past (not for the better). I saw pics that looked like they were @ the Westway. Did any stay @ the NAI?

Doonut, we put the cables thru the suspension.

I was @ the Jolly Roger in the 90s when someone had a sled stolen. Cable was thru the skis. Thieves just dropped the skis & slid it away. Also w/ the plastic ski loops, they're probably cutable w/ a decent bolt cutter.

All you really need to do is make your sleds harder to steal than the next group.

Its like you don't need to outrun the bear, just your buddy :)

Archived