Cochrane

Lep

8 pulls and 20 minutes to warm it up. :) After that, It liked it alot.

best to roll your clutch by hand when its that cold...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great clip, Blake.

X2

Done that as well.

If there's a SDI sled in the group that is difficult to start @ low temps, pop the relays out & put them in your pocket to warm them up. Reinstall them & they should be good to go.

You won't make it far if you do 50k in the trails up there. Yes , it was A south of Cochrane.

LOL

I plead the 5th on the speed we travel.

Just got back today.

What a trip!

We decided to leave home at 2 AM Thursday and drive through the night with less traffic. When we arrived in the morning, we unloaded and decided to rest for part of the day and get ready to ride for Friday. However, fate was not with us.

I obviously suffered a severe brain cramp earlier when I replaced the rear wheels with billet wheels. However, I obviously forget to torque the nut. (Even though I could swear that I had.) When we unloaded, and parked the sleds, one of the wheels came off. We could not find the nut and could not get one at any of the 'local' Yamaha dealers.

After discussing the predicament with Doonut and WD, among others, it was suggested that the nut may be the same size and pitch as a drive axle on a Honda or Mazda. After a makeshift measuring tool (hose clamp), we figured that we were looking for a 22 MM x 1.5 nut. The next morning, we started at a couple of the local car parts places and found a castelated nut of the right size that looked like it should work. We torqued it on with red Loctite and were ready to go.

By the time this was done and we were dressed, we were ready to go for a shorter ride.

The next day, though, we headed out to Moonbeam for a little longer trip. Conditions were quite good for such early season riding.

The new sled handles great and the EPS makes it ride like it is on rails. The only bad part is that it was in break-in mode and I was limited to keep the revs below 6K for the first 160 Km. Also, because of the temporary repairs to the rear axle, I wanted to lead so Moosifer could keep an eye on it.

This actually had a silver lining as on Saturday morning, we approached a road crossing and I saw a couple of 'guys' walking toward the trail. Then, I saw the OPP truck and trailer. The officers approached and after a quick chat we were on our way. However, the group behind us were not so lucky. As we were getting ready to leave, Moosifer saw one officer raise the radar gun and he chuckled and said, "Here we go!"

At 6K, we were too slow to attract attention :lmao:

However, after Smooth Rock, I had surpassed the 160 Km and the new limit was 8K for the next 640 Km. This was actually quite comfortable for my riding style and made the rest of the trip a lot of fun.

Even placed a few of the new OC Stickers.

DSCN0502.jpg

A few pics of the new sled.

DSCN0504.jpg

DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

It was a great trip and good to see Doonut, Blake, WD and their friends.

A big thank you to all of the volunteers that worked to get these trails in shape for the early season riding.

sj..glad your trip went well..& thx for the stickers...will cover west side of simcoe with them...

Just got back today.

What a trip!

We decided to leave home at 2 AM Thursday and drive through the night with less traffic. When we arrived in the morning, we unloaded and decided to rest for part of the day and get ready to ride for Friday. However, fate was not with us.

I obviously suffered a severe brain cramp earlier when I replaced the rear wheels with billet wheels. However, I obviously forget to torque the nut. (Even though I could swear that I had.) When we unloaded, and parked the sleds, one of the wheels came off. We could not find the nut and could not get one at any of the 'local' Yamaha dealers.

After discussing the predicament with Doonut and WD, among others, it was suggested that the nut may be the same size and pitch as a drive axle on a Honda or Mazda. After a makeshift measuring tool (hose clamp), we figured that we were looking for a 22 MM x 1.5 nut. The next morning, we started at a couple of the local car parts places and found a castelated nut of the right size that looked like it should work. We torqued it on with red Loctite and were ready to go.

By the time this was done and we were dressed, we were ready to go for a shorter ride.

The next day, though, we headed out to Moonbeam for a little longer trip. Conditions were quite good for such early season riding.

The new sled handles great and the EPS makes it ride like it is on rails. The only bad part is that it was in break-in mode and I was limited to keep the revs below 6K for the first 160 Km. Also, because of the temporary repairs to the rear axle, I wanted to lead so Moosifer could keep an eye on it.

This actually had a silver lining as on Saturday morning, we approached a road crossing and I saw a couple of 'guys' walking toward the trail. Then, I saw the OPP truck and trailer. The officers approached and after a quick chat we were on our way. However, the group behind us were not so lucky. As we were getting ready to leave, Moosifer saw one officer raise the radar gun and he chuckled and said, "Here we go!"

However, after Smooth Rock, I had surpassed the 160 Km and the new limit was 8K for the next 640 Km. This was actually quite comfortable for my riding style and made the rest of the trip a lot of fun.

DSCN0502.jpg

DSCN0504.jpg

DSCN0505.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

A big thank you to all of the volunteers that worked to get these trails in shape for the early season riding.

How does the new Vector compare to the old Vector so far :)

Sledjunk... no lack of storage on the sled with all the bags I see. Nice sled. Glad to hear you came up with a solution for the missing nut.

Sledjunk... no lack of storage on the sled with all the bags I see. Nice sled. Glad to hear you came up with a solution for the missing nut.

He just needed to consult a different kind of NUT on what NUT he could use :)

First 5 pulls were very gentle and slow. I haven't lost a recoil or rope to a cold start in 40 years :)

Just got back today.

What a trip!

Glad it worked out for ya SJ. Always rember to think, "WWMD?"

(What Would MacGyver Do?) LOL

MacGyver would have made one out of something.

i mac gyvered my helmut into a darth vader helmet to block wind on throat...cardboard & black duct tape...saved me some pain

Looks like you guys had a great trip! Thank god for thinking about nuts!

Nice baggage set up. Looks like you could be gone for a month! I also like the red on your Vector Sledjunk.

post-19777-0-91456000-1325519329_thumb.jpg

Wonder why the "Yamaha" lettering appears backwards on your tach.. when the lettering on your phone and numbers on the tach and bag are all the right way? Is it reflecting off something or was somebody drinking when they installed the lettering?

Nice set up though!

How does the new Vector compare to the old Vector so far :)

More torque and much better handling. I don't know how much of that is the new chassis and how much is the EPS. Works well, though

Nice baggage set up. Looks like you could be gone for a month! I also like the red on your Vector Sledjunk.

Thanks! Actually both saddle bags are filled with 'emergency' gear. (SnoBunge, tow straps, tools, etc.) The top bag has a lot of space, though. I also have a factory rack that bolts on for trips.

post-19777-0-91456000-1325519329_thumb.jpg

Wonder why the "Yamaha" lettering appears backwards on your tach.. when the lettering on your phone and numbers on the tach and bag are all the right way? Is it reflecting off something or was somebody drinking when they installed the lettering?

Nice set up though!

It is actually a reflection on the logo on the handle bar bag. The bag has a small part and a large part that fit on opposite sides of the handle bars. If I put the small part (with the logo) facing me, I found that the larger part blocked my view of the cluster, so I reversed it.

More torque and much better handling. I don't know how much of that is the new chassis and how much is the EPS. Works well, though

find the ``the nut`` when you got back home.... :poke2:

MacGyver would have made one out of something.

Make Yamaha rear wheel retianer nut from Honda front drive axle nut, save vacation after 10 hour trailer counts as a macgyver in my books.

A different kind of snowmobiling. The pic was taken this morning about 5 miles north of Cochrane. Train is the Polar Bear heading for Moosonee

post-19781-0-61545000-1325537237_thumb.jpg

A different kind of snowmobiling. The pic was taken this morning about 5 miles north of Cochrane. Train is the Polar Bear heading for Moosonee

cool pic...looks cold

Ok, so after seeing a few pics of Cochrane trips on here, and OUR trip fast approaching, what do you recommend carrying with you? Just doing day trips from the Westway..Also i see a few guys with gas cans strapped to the back of their sleds. Are they really needed?

Archived