2010 Trail Pass Tickets $200

Canuck

too much govt in the trail systems now. no need to tell them, when where, and how much we ride. as far as permit sales, the border crossing issue is going to effect the u.s. people from comming to ride and buying more permits for sure... wait till 09-10 season. starting june first you need a passport or special identification to border cross. yes they have been saying it is comming but starting in a few weeks, those that havent will not go down and get special passports to go to canada for fishing, hunting, or snowmobiling.

this will not effect the hardcore outdoor people who are already in compliance. this will hurt the average everyday person that may come up for the trip of a life time, or one time a year type deal. i am betting, this is going to really effect the permit sales this year.

as far as permit pricing, it is what it is. i have been a big no permit raise increase person in the past but, after working closely with several groups in the clubs and different districts... all i can tell you is, get involved. find out when they start getting ready (it never stops really), find out the volunteers away from family for meetings, groomer maintainence, trail signage, brushing, patroling, all the paperwork the clubs have to do to sell permits, and get funds needed to maintain the trails. ALL WITHOUT THEMSELVES GETTING A DIME FOR THEIR LONG HOURS WORKED.

pay the permit fee, or go enjoy bowling all winter. LOL! really your only option LOL! in all seriousness, sooner or later this volunteer based program of snowmobile highways will come to an abrupt end. the mnr, mto, govt, ofsc, will bankrupt the system. the districts and clubs, cannot go on being a user based pay as you go, with volunteers running the maintainence of the system for absolutely no pay involved. and when it is gone, who is there to blame?

ski

I highly doubt it'll ever bankrupt it's self we'll just keep doing what we do, build and maintain trails for us to ride on, and do our best to set the lowest possible price to ride them for those who wish to. We may have to downsize, but you can always bet there will those who want trails and be willing to volunteer and/or just pay to have them.

Really if you look at other provinces and organizations in the states, we have done a bang up job at keeping Gov as far away from any control over what we do, in respects to the clubs and people that make up and run the OFSC. Other then bill 101's association with policing the permit, and the grants we recieve they have just about zero involvment.

Being involved in our club in Western NY and a past club president I give all the volunteers and OFSC all the credit in the world for the immense tasks they have against them each and every year to give us the finest trail system there is. It would seem to me that $200.00 is a small price to pay to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

too much govt in the trail systems now. no need to tell them, when where, and how much we ride. as far as permit sales, the border crossing issue is going to effect the u.s. people from comming to ride and buying more permits for sure... wait till 09-10 season. starting june first you need a passport or special identification to border cross. yes they have been saying it is comming but starting in a few weeks, those that havent will not go down and get special passports to go to canada for fishing, hunting, or snowmobiling.

this will not effect the hardcore outdoor people who are already in compliance. this will hurt the average everyday person that may come up for the trip of a life time, or one time a year type deal. i am betting, this is going to really effect the permit sales this year.

ski

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it only Canadians who need a passport to cross into the States? If I recall wasn't that the biggest bitch when this got passed that Canadians need passports to go to the States but Americans don't need passports to cross into Canada.

ski

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it only Canadians who need a passport to cross into the States? If I recall wasn't that the biggest bitch when this got passed that Canadians need passports to go to the States but Americans don't need passports to cross into Canada.

Our american customers tell me that they will soon need a passport to go home !

ski

I recall hearing that US - Canada will also need passports soon.

The northern states are offering 'smart licences' - with added security measures that Canada may accept in lieu of a US passport.

everyone entering the usa reguardless of nationality (even u.s residents) require a passort to enter the usa after june first. right now most of the time the canadian side doesnt ask for any id at all. the ask where we are from, where we going, for what purpose, how long we staying, any firearms, weapons, tobacco, or alcohol. ok.... have a good time. ski

everyone entering the usa reguardless of nationality (even u.s residents) require a passort to enter the usa after june first. right now most of the time the canadian side doesnt ask for any id at all. the ask where we are from, where we going, for what purpose, how long we staying, any firearms, weapons, tobacco, or alcohol. ok.... have a good time. ski

It was that way for us entering the US before 9/11 (minus the firearms/weapons question)

ski

The northern states are offering 'smart licences' - with added security measures that Canada may accept in lieu of a US passport.

Most sledders in the states that want to go to Canada should have their passports by now. The govt has been warning of the passport thing for a few years now and most should have taken care of it already. Besides, if you own a truck and trailer and sleds and would travel a few hours aren't you already hardcore anyways. A passport is not that hard to get, just have to get through the paperwork.

ski

Most sledders in the states that want to go to Canada should have their passports by now. The govt has been warning of the passport thing for a few years now and most should have taken care of it already. Besides, if you own a truck and trailer and sleds and would travel a few hours aren't you already hardcore anyways. A passport is not that hard to get, just have to get through the paperwork.

it is human nature to wait to the last minute.............

I just went for my interview to get my Nexus card, and the Canadian officer said that the 1 difference between the American side and the Canadian side was on the Canadian side, if you don't use the Nexus lane you still need to provide 2 pieces of I.D. one of which has a photo. So you still don't need a passport to enter Canada.

Why did they get rid of day passes? I know a few guys that would love to come but can't all the time they would buy a day pass here or there no prob. I can't see them spending 90 bucks for a pass to use for a weekend. I'd say we lost maybe 3 to four guys now cause of this, and we wonder why we see more and more people on the trails with no passes every year I can't count the number of people I seen this year without passes espically with older sleds. I tell yea they made us look stupied, during the week I have never seen ride check and these poeple know that and a riding they will go for free and the trails are top.

Why did they get rid of day passes? I know a few guys that would love to come but can't all the time they would buy a day pass here or there no prob. I can't see them spending 90 bucks for a pass to use for a weekend. I'd say we lost maybe 3 to four guys now cause of this, and we wonder why we see more and more people on the trails with no passes every year I can't count the number of people I seen this year without passes espically with older sleds. I tell yea they made us look stupied, during the week I have never seen ride check and these poeple know that and a riding they will go for free and the trails are top.

2fast. they got rid of the 1 day passes for several reasons that have been debated to death on this and many other forums so I won't go into details again on it. You can do a search if you are that interested. In a nutshell, they had more people wanting to buy weekend passes because they came up here from the US and wanted to ride for the whole weekend since the trip was too long just for riding 1 day. The weekend pass is $15 cheaper than 3, 1 day passes were. So it is a better deal for the majority of short term permit buyers. Sorry to hear it isn't for your friends. The 1 day permit was also very labour intensive for the volunteer club members that have to administer them in return for $5 going to the club. Often they would spend that in gas which came out of their own pockets to look after the sale of 1 or 2 or 4 permits.

I will say that you can come up with plenty of reasons as to why you feel that it was a mistake. Go ahead if you want to take the time to type it all out. With my typing skills that takes a fair bit of time. I know this will sound rude, but I've heard all the reasons. You will not come up with a new one so I won't be reading any responses here. Just being fair and letting you know that ahead of time and why. Sorry. The issue was widely debated by the hundreds of volunteers from the 260+ clubs across this province. The majority made the decision and the MTO approved the decision. For now, it's a done deal.

I hope this does at least answer your question.

Jeff

200 dollars still seems like a good deal for a whole winter of riding. as was mentioned earlier when you figure what you spend on everything else then its pretty minor. and the trails are always top notch. it would be different if the trails were poorly maintained. i would rather pay 200 and ride good trails than 30 dollars and have rough trails. as for the passport thing i just read that only 22 percent of americans have their passports yet, even though they have been preaching this for a long time. my dad and i used to ride in the up and only stumbled onto canada one year when the ups trails got bad. if we would have needed passports we would never have come. i think this passport deal will hurt tourism, probably more on the canadian side because more canadians have their passports than americans.

Anyone who thinks that $200 is too much should try boating. First, you start with slip fees, then add maintenance, winter storage, outrageous gas prices on the water, etc etc etc.

Suddenly the $200 looks like a bargain.

Anyone who thinks that $200 is too much should try boating. First, you start with slip fees, then add maintenance, winter storage, outrageous gas prices on the water, etc etc etc.

Agreed!! 8-)

Agreed!! 8-)

And all in "free water" :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Me, I'm on the cheap side,private yacht club,still with insurance and slip and then add fuel.............................sleds are a bargooooooooooooon!

• 2 weeks later...

Three trips up North this year.

New Years - stopped by the OPP twice

Jan 31. - Stopped 3 x by STOP patrol

Feb 14 for a week - not stopped

Seems to me Distric 2 has good enforcement on permit compliance.

As of June 1st need a passport, enhanced drivers license, NEXUS, or Boarder crossing ID (wallet size and less that a passport) to get back into the US. Buffalo news reports 95% compliance with the new rules this week. Some beleive it will deter the ad hoc trips to Canada if the Americans don't have the needed paperwork. They are planning to open a passport office in Buffalo to expidite the process (currently 4-6 weeks) to 24 hr turnaround.

Right on man!!!! I've been saying that for many years, especially about 5 years ago or so when the federation had to up the permit each year for like 3 or 4 years, can't quite remember how many years it was now but everyone freaked out and I kept comparing the cost to boaters...........that usually shut them up pretty quick. As for the passport, I don't get what the big deal is, everybody should have a passport anyways. Once people quit complaining and just get one it's not going to hurt tourism, it will be old hat just like the europeans. They all need a passport to move about, just a way of life. The passport thing probably should have happened 40 years ago. There's just not canadians and americans crossing anymore like the old days so as a catch all we all need it for better screening. If it prevents another 9/11 I'm all for it. :wtf:

Archived