Trakmaps no longer available in Ontario?

scottyr

1 minute ago, barberch said:

Exactly! While using Trakmaps, the online status can still be checked daily too! 

So, by not using it, it can be checked daily…..

Trakmaps sounds like a nice to have, not necessary item.

• Like 1

Just now, Spiderman said:

So, by not using it, it can be checked daily…..

Trakmaps sounds like a nice to have, not necessary item.

Much like a paper map. Nice to have but not a necessary item.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You will likely be disappointed. I was told a week ago that our club would be picking up maps from the District in the next couple of weeks.

I will gather some up and drop them off at the OFSC and make sure they are aware that using the maps could lead to people riding on closed trails.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Unless any of the ones that did not know it was coming were required to know ahead of time- than I don't see an issue.

Why a consumer/user would think they should be aware of private contract renewal details with a third party is not something I would concern myself with either. 

The best you'd get is that I am sorry you liked using the product - but we're no longer supporting it and that's it. 

My work does it to us all the time with equipment, vehicles, you name it - we don't get a heads up - we don't get a say - and that's it.

Move on

Difference is your company will exist regardless of your input or choice. 
the OFSC is based on a huge volunteer base and a user paid system, take these things away and you have a huge problem, so there should be a greater regard for these groups. 
Flop side is an argument to protect the lands given up to use for this optional sport, that could be lost as a result of not doing this. 
I get there are two sides, but communication on this I think is expected given the context of the organization, no matter what corporate spin is applied. 

2 minutes ago, barberch said:

I will gather some up and drop them off at the OFSC and make sure they are aware that using the maps could lead to people riding on closed trails.

The interactive trail guide is the only source for trail status updates. It requires real time updates and must be mirrored by any digital sources, that is in agreement with the OFSC. 

A trail guide is for quick view of the region you want to ride in, with not much detail. 

I can sympathize with those using trakmaps, I am one of them. Just bought a new garmin Zumo..

I am also the one who gets the call when an incident occurs, at anytime of the day. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yukon said:

The interactive trail guide is the only source for trail status updates. It requires real time updates and must be mirrored by any digital sources, that is in agreement with the OFSC. 

A trail guide is for quick view of the region you want to ride in, with not much detail. 

I can sympathize with those using trakmaps, I am one of them. Just bought a new garmin Zumo..

I am also the one who gets the call when an incident occurs, at anytime of the day. 

Agreed. Trakmaps is very similar to the paper trail guide. There isn’t a lot of detail and the interactive trail guide must be used as the only source for trail status.

I don't have any skin in the game as I don't use a GPS and I'm not well versed in it. I do use the OFSC app and it works well for what I need.

However:

Perly's paper road maps shows you all the roads in Ontario including back roads and summer roads. No one knows if it's open or closed but the road is there at the "time" of printing. Same goes for the paper snowmobile trail maps. 

I use "Waze" for driving. It's an interactive app that lets users input current info, ie accidents, road closure, police, debris on road etc..

Is there a way for Trakmaps to incorporate that kind of technology into their app?

Is there a way for the OFSC to incorporate up to date trail info into Trakmaps?

Is it worthwhile($$) for Trakmaps or the OFSC to do so?

Does Trakmaps update their trail app when the OFSC reroutes a trail during the season? 

I don't know.

From my vantage point, if a rider is using Trakmaps as a turn by turn bible and the trail has a reroute/closure/landowner issue/etc and the rider hasn't checked the ITG, it creates a problem. A paper map does not. If you remove the GPS from the equation, it forces the rider to check the ITG/OFSC app for current conditions and puts the onus back on the rider. 

My $0.02.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barberch said:

I sure hope there are no paper maps found being given out by the Clubs/ Districts/ OFSC at the snowmobile shows this year. It would be terrible if a rider was using the paper maps  and riding on closed trails because they didn’t check the online status. 

Chris here's my take on this

It likely won't be long before paper maps are totally phased out as was the provincial paper map.

Same as a paper maps the ability for the OFSC to live control what trails were actually on the map, they couldn't with Trackmaps, unless Trackmaps tweaked their product/service to offer unlimited real time updating and prompting the user to do so.  Which I guess they either cannot, or don't want to due to cost and/or tech.   This isn't just about what's Limited, Open or Closed, it's also about trails being closed or even some being newly or re-opened mid season by landowners for whatever reason. This new policy shows all Landowners the OFSC is further committed to doing absolutely everything possible to protect the best interest and safety of landowners and riders. 

Even though laws and insurance differs from province to province and state to state, I guarantee other areas will follow suite in short time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nutter said:

Chris here's my take on this

It likely won't be long before paper maps are totally phased out as was the provincial paper map.

Same as a paper maps the ability for the OFSC to live control what trails were actually on the map, they couldn't with Trackmaps, unless Trackmaps tweaked their product/service to offer unlimited real time updating and prompting the user to do so.  Which I guess they either cannot, or don't want to due to cost and/or tech.   This isn't just about what's Limited, Open or Closed, it's also about trails being closed or even some being newly or re-opened mid season by landowners for whatever reason. This new policy shows all Landowners the OFSC is further committed to doing absolutely everything possible to protect the best interest and safety of landowners and riders. 

Even though laws and insurance differs from province to province and state to state, I guarantee other areas will follow suite in short time. 

I agree. No matter whether you use trakmaps or a paper map or the hand drawn map you made last year, the online map is the only source for current status. I think eliminating the paper maps and map boards would further show all landowners the OFSC commitment.

2 minutes ago, barberch said:

I agree. No matter whether you use trakmaps or a paper map or the hand drawn map you made last year, the online map is the only source for current status. I think eliminating the paper maps and map boards would further show all landowners the OFSC commitment.

You're not totally wrong, just a little .... The OFSC Online map is not the only source, the Go Snowmobiling App and BRP GO App are also available approved sources, as they work by piggybacking the OFSC's real time data. Trackmaps, Ride Command and Cats new Garmin nav platform are all more than welcome to get on board if they want to meet the requirements to connect to the OFSC's real time data . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nutter said:

You're not totally wrong, just a little .... The OFSC Online map is not the only source, the Go Snowmobiling App and BRP GO App are also available approved sources, as they work by piggybacking the OFSC's real time data. Trackmaps, Ride Command and Cats new Garmin nav platform are all more than welcome to get on board if they want to meet the requirements to connect to the OFSC's real time data . 

Rick

Curious, how much notice was provided to garmin to comply with this new protocol and get on board?

On 9/15/2023 at 2:03 PM, Spiderman said:

don’t blame the ofsc if it’s liability reasons, blame your fellow riders and the elected officials.

it’s riders that initiate actions.

it’s (government) policies that allow it

Spiderman is right.

We need to get out of the litigious mentality that our society has become accustomed to. Personal accountability needs to return. 

Maybe someone can talk to Dougie Ford, (he's a sledder) to try initiate some protective legislation for the OFSC so riders can't sue for their own stupidity. 

The risk management, that all the clubs have to endure and enforce, is over the top IMO.

We are just volunteers trying to create a trail system that we can all enjoy.

Gets tiring when the "village idiot rider" has become the focus instead of efficiency. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

Rick

Curious, how much notice was provided to garmin to comply with this new protocol and get on board?

Do mean Track Maps ? No idea ? but I imagine lots since it was long enough for BRP GO to develop a compatible compliant system ? 

Just now, Nutter said:

Do mean Track Maps ? No idea ? but I imagine lots since it was long enough for BRP GO to develop a compatible compliant system ? 

Yes, sorry. 
BRP GO came out of the gate with that compatibility, if I’m not mistaken. 
Doesn’t mean trakmaps knew they were expected too though - must have been a corporate communication from the OFSC to indicate this is the expectation that must be met by x date. 

Just now, stoney said:

Yes, sorry. 
BRP GO came out of the gate with that compatibility, if I’m not mistaken. 
Doesn’t mean trakmaps knew they were expected too though - must have been a corporate communication from the OFSC to indicate this is the expectation that must be met by x date. 

No idea ? 

22 hours ago, stoney said:

Agreed - I think this decision on trakmaps was not well thought out, executed well or communicated very well for those that use and relied on them year after year. 

But, is that the reason or issue (off season use) or is it the liability of not having a live data base using trakmaps - pretty sure the blurb posted recently was to do with not having live active database on open or closed trails, than yellow or green I am sure.

That’s nail on head. Ofsc doesn’t want us using maps besides one from thier own data base.
They have full contro.
 if a trail is closed for year they can delete it (funny thing is how often does this happen) I have seen trails closed for good remain on system for a few years. Sometimes they even turn green 🤦‍♂️
They want us to load and use data base in real time. 

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s nail on head. Ofsc doesn’t want us using maps besides one from thier own data base.
They have full contro.

if a trail is closed for year they can delete it (funny thing is how often does this happen) I have seen trails closed for good remain on system for a few years. Sometimes they even turn green 🤦‍♂️
They want us to load and use data base in real time. 

As they should - they're largely responsible for it. 

Should be a simple concept

37 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

if a trail is closed for year they can delete it (funny thing is how often does this happen) I have seen trails closed for good remain on system for a few years

Deleting, adding or adjusting trails on the ITG is not an issue. Each District has someone in their organization that has the ability to make whatever changes are needed to the trails in their district. In fact, in your home district the contact is very dedicated about keeping changes up to date and correct. 

You should get involved in your local club so that you could learn what is really going on and then when you post your spew it might reflect the reality of the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1