Clean Fuel Standard

signfan

Anyone have any insight on how the fuels we all buy will be changing in the next few years with this regulation.  Is it automatically an increase in ethanol content?  Will it apply to high test too?

5 hours ago, signfan said:

Anyone have any insight on how the fuels we all buy will be changing in the next few years with this regulation.  Is it automatically an increase in ethanol content?  Will it apply to high test too?

All gasoline fuels sold in Ontario have ethonal now. Tested shell station near me has e in 91 now 🤣
Time to buy  rec fuel in cans for storage. Already started with my small power equipment. 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

All gasoline fuels sold in Ontario have ethonal now. Tested shell station near me has e in 91 now 🤣
Time to buy  rec fuel in cans for storage. Already started with my small power equipment. 

Why waste your money?? I just rebuilt a golf cart carburator which has been on the cart at least the 8 years that I have had it. I only use regular fuel in it and only about 20 litres a year but I add some Sea Foam when I fuel it and I put Stabil in it for the off season. I run it with stabilized fuel for at least 20 minutes before storing it for the winter.The carb bowl was completely clean with no sign of varnish or and other foreign matter.

• Like 5

On 7/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, Strong Farmer said:

I think the VPower 94 is still void of ethanol isn’t it?

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

I doubt it. 
91 is a v power fuel too that was always e free. They removed stickers and put all grades of fuel may contain up to 10 percent e 🤷🏽‍♂️.  I thought 94 stuff got there by adding e to it? I haven’t found one station near me that has e free fuel anymore. No 94 in my area to test but I am pretty sure it have e now too.  Clean fuel mandate claims all fuels sold must have e in it now. 

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Do you mean 93?

Shell no longer has E-free gas - I emailed them months ago looking for that confirmation when I stopped seeing the badging at the their pumps stating may contain 10% in regular, 5% in plus and 0% in premium.

When I did so some digging it seems to be some provinces were still using E-free gas, I think parts of QC and east coast....but I am not 100% sure on that detail right now.

Just now, stoney said:

Do you mean 93?

Shell no longer has E-free gas - I emailed them months ago looking for that confirmation when I stopped seeing the badging at the their pumps stating may contain 10% in regular, 5% in plus and 0% in premium.

When I did so some digging it seems to some provinces were still using E-free gas, I think parts of QC and east coast....but I am not 100% sure on that detail right now.

That sounds right. Clesn fuel mandate will change all that acorss Canada. Only e free fuel now is stuff sold in cans. 

On 7/12/2023 at 8:29 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Why waste your money?? I just rebuilt a golf cart carburator which has been on the cart at least the 8 years that I have had it. I only use regular fuel in it and only about 20 litres a year but I add some Sea Foam when I fuel it and I put Stabil in it for the off season. I run it with stabilized fuel for at least 20 minutes before storing it for the winter.The carb bowl was completely clean with no sign of varnish or and other foreign matter.

Carbs are easy enough to clean, I would be more concerned with plastic fittings and hoses degrading first. 

Seen lots of issues with our chainsaws at work, including diaphrams in the carbs.. 

Amen on the Seafoam, been using it for years.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Yukon said:

Carbs are easy enough to clean, I would be more concerned with plastic fittings and hoses degrading first. 

Seen lots of issues with our chainsaws at work, including diaphrams in the carbs.. 

Amen on the Seafoam, been using it for years.

Yep, replaced a few fuel lines that degraded as a result of E-fuel.

Not all, but many carbs have a drain that allows you to drain the fuel from the bowl when stored for extended periods.

Another seafoam user, of course there are reports out there that it does not work either, but I seem to have good luck.

57 minutes ago, stoney said:

Yep, replaced a few fuel lines that degraded as a result of E-fuel.

Not all, but many carbs have a drain that allows you to drain the fuel from the bowl when stored for extended periods.

Another seafoam user, of course there are reports out there that it does not work either, but I seem to have good luck.

Depends how much e is in fuel. E pulls water so depends where sled is stored. Inside a climate controlled garage will have way less issues then say outside in a enclosed trailer. If I have to store sled in a trialer best to fill tank to top that helps too. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rustyrivets said:

Wondering if marina gas is still no E?  Any boat guys able to confirm?

Doubt it, ours is Petro Canada premium, which has E in it.

10 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Thanks to Justin…lol

Just like the Ontario only restrictions, thanks to Justin…lol

But it does feel better the more you can blame him!

I've been trying to figure out this ethanol issue too. I don't want to put ethanol fuel in our 64 Chevelle. Have been purposely putting in premium Costco and Canadian Tire    the pumps said  ethanol free  I never did any testing though.  But now the ethanol stickers are on the pumps. There are additives that I'm looking into now     there is also ethanol free gas available in Rockford.  Just south of Owen sound.  It's at macdonell fuels   BIL says so.  It's an idea for the small 2 strokes since I m up there during the summer a bit   but not for the Chevelle. I've been advised by 2 mechanics this is a good product 

IMG_20230629_154438241.jpg

Did a bit of testing   the lower line is 500ml water and you can see after the fuel gets added the "water" amount gets greater.  The fuel is from the reservation near Sauble beach and second Costco regular. Third is ethanol free gas. 

IMG_20230627_082912239.jpg

IMG_20230705_180115468.jpg

IMG_20230706_084236157.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, signfan said:

For day to day use this is a non issue isnt it?  Just when using in older equipment or for longterm storage where it rears its head causing issues.

Ya, if used all the time, seems to be a non issue like in our vehicles.
small engines that usually have gas sit due to seasonal use, separates causing engine failure (burning water) and also causes failure/deterioration of rubber lines. 

• Like 1

Run seafoam on last tank and drain. fill up,  run seafoam and giver!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, signfan said:

For day to day use this is a non issue isnt it?  Just when using in older equipment or for longterm storage where it rears its head causing issues.

Can still be an issue. I am starting to think premium isn’t safe to buy any more, because it’s slow moving and contains E. That’s perfect recipe for extra water into fuel no doubt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stoney said:

Just like the Ontario only restrictions, thanks to Justin…lol

But it does feel better the more you can blame him!

It is because ford cancelled carbon tax scheme in Ontario. Justin implanting other ways to clean up air such as clean fuel act and all extra carbon tax on all our fuels. If ford would have stuck to carbon credit plan niether would have been rolled out 🤪

7 hours ago, signfan said:

Yup   thats the way I look at it 

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

It is because ford cancelled carbon tax scheme in Ontario. Justin implanting other ways to clean up air such as clean fuel act and all extra carbon tax on all our fuels. If ford would have stuck to carbon credit plan niether would have been rolled out 🤪

And if you believe that for one second, I’m sorry, you aren’t running on all cylinders :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1