Bracebridge Trails in Jeopardy

Muskoka Bill

More trouble with off trail riding could shut down a lot of good snowmobiling in Bracebridge area.  When are people going to learn that in addition to a sled they are going to need a trailer to travel 10km to enjoy the sport

This article is a good one to show how stupid people are

https://muskoka411.com/local-snowmobile-club-urges-riders-to-stay-on-the-trail-2/

Edited by Muskoka Bill

Any idea where the instances of off-trail riding have been happening? I've been up D several times and haven't noticed anything unusual.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

Any idea where the instances of off-trail riding have been happening? I've been up D several times and haven't noticed anything unusual.

May be D N. of the clubhouse. I see large new yellow No Trespassing signs on both sides of trail. If D closes-game over!

• Thanks 1

We are our own worst enemy.

Is there a large population of sledders who are unable to read or comprehend?

40 minutes ago, Basketcase said:

Wow, read the comments at the bottom of the article...

No s@#t, i added a comment but doubt they will put it up.

That guy Mac on the comments sounds like a real piece of art :headbang:

12 hours ago, Blake G said:

It is on my neighbors 2300 acre parcel Running on D trail south of Graves road and Manitoba to Falkenberg road , went by today there are 3 of those signs up (that are shown in the article ) plus other no Trespassing signs. The whole flat area field after the first steep hill was covered in snowmobile tracks going every where, it couldn't have been just one person. I keep running into groups of 8 kids on that trail I suspect it was them as they are bunch of jerks with loud cans. Saw them in the side of the trail in that area last week where one kid had run off the trail into the bush and crashed they were there there for about 1 hour. Once I heard the loud cans I gave them the finger and drove away, F-them.  Bloody shame

I'll slow down through there and scan for trespassers. 

Screenshot_20210127-193406_Gallery.jpg

17 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I'll slow down through there and scan for trespassers. 

This is where the signs and tracks are in the swamp area. 

433878246_Inkeddownload(1)_LI.thumb.jpg.2fddf42074ab4f74c4845df15f691607.jpg

Edited by Muskoka Bill

I know the stretch. The swampy area near the groomer path that goes around the steep hill.

13 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I know the stretch. The swampy area near the groomer path that goes around the steep hill.

Exactly , the neighbor also owns the triangle shaped lot you identified in your one map (north of Graves rd and Manitoba), it is also all tramped out in the swamp area, not sure if there are signs there or not now.  

Edited by Muskoka Bill

1 hour ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Exactly , the neighbor also owns the triangle shaped lot you identified in your one map (north of Graves rd and Manitoba), it is also all tramped out in the swamp area, not sure if there are signs there or not now.  

Just call OPP to get them arrested-the SAVE guys are out a lot!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Just call OPP to get them arrested-the SAVE guys are out a lot!

Only for the NB/PS district, top priority right now that will possibly have the biggest return.....:coffeenose:

Who would have thunk all you had to do to get that much enforcement was to close trails mid-season for completely unjustified reasons..

• Like 3

The saddest part of all these posts is we are witnessing the beginning of the demise of groomed trail riding.  Not trying to be a nay sayer but until the snowmobile community as a whole becomes more responsible it will be in decline.  

trail riding is uncool.  How many YouTube videos show a group riding a groomed trail for 8 hours straight without any big excitement?  If your not doing a big jump in deep powder your not being viewed.

Cans sell because loud is cool.  Chopping a tunnel in Ontario and posting it on Facebook is cool.    Adding saddlebags is only cool here on this site.

The new crew of riders are only worried about there 3 minutes of fame and self gratification.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sksman said:

The saddest part of all these posts is we are witnessing the beginning of the demise of groomed trail riding.  Not trying to be a nay sayer but until the snowmobile community as a whole becomes more responsible it will be in decline.  

trail riding is uncool.  How many YouTube videos show a group riding a groomed trail for 8 hours straight without any big excitement?  If your not doing a big jump in deep powder your not being viewed.

Cans sell because loud is cool.  Chopping a tunnel in Ontario and posting it on Facebook is cool.    Adding saddlebags is only cool here on this site.

The new crew of riders are only worried about there 3 minutes of fame and self gratification.

Your post is SPOT ON. I was not fully aware of the Younger Youtube culture and the  monkey-see / monkey - do  aspect of "Street Culture". Rap music was old hat before I realized how huge it was and the billions being made from it. But along with pop cultural social influences, I also blame the poor parenting, public school system, and the nanny state of "entitlement" that has been festering since the late 70's. So, in that context, I guess we are all guilty...

9 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Your post is SPOT ON. I was not fully aware of the Younger Youtube culture and the  monkey-see / monkey - do  aspect of "Street Culture". Rap music was old hat before I realized how huge it was and the billions being made from it. But along with pop cultural social influences, I also blame the poor parenting, public school system, and the nanny state of "entitlement" that has been festering since the late 70's. So, in that context, I guess we are all guilty...

The evolution of the snowmobile community might have exceeded the current Southern Ontario trail network.  

Faster bigger and better.  And deeper!  

Look how many stand up riders pass you on a section of perfectly flat groomed trails in Southern Ontario with gas caddy’s on the back of a 155” tracked sled that can travel close to 200km per tank of fuel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

You are right on with this - but it's not only with snowmobiling, it's the same with a lot of things. I have kids aged 14 and 11 now - life is different than when I was those ages - as it should be to be honest.

As they say, "times change" - things change, and if you don't get ahead of it as a business and adapt - ( let's face it - that's what sledding is - organized trail riding - you're selling a product ), you may not survive. 

I'm sure the kids don't want to sit and listen to a Kansas record either........ ( don't blame them ).

Thing is, kids are also too young and naive to truly understand the bigger picture and for sure some don't care, but to be fair, some simply do not understand either - they're kids - they're not yet thinking like adults and doing all adulty things. If they're teenagers, they're still blowing their money on sleds instead of saving for school or a house - is that smart? depends..........

I don't know what the answer is - but all we can do is keep putting the message out and ride when/where you can - life's short.

This is a crazy thought - but maybe a mandatory annual on-line test/tutorial as part of receiving your pass could be implemented - where you could bring those keys areas of importance front and centre - an annual reminder - have landowners put little videos together - farmers with their crops etc. etc. - showing the results of those decisions, at least at the start of every season, it's something to watch, listen to and have that reminder as your message, maybe that might trigger the brain? 

I don't know, anyway, rant over :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Something to think about, yesterday while out sledding in an area that has a lot of "shared trails" I always slow down to a crawl or stop and let them pass me by before proceeding. I got two verbal thank you' s from the hikers and a few thank full waves. That is how it should be, so the next time you come across a hiker try it , that is how we can change the minds of those that want trails closed or there own separate trail. Plus it is only common snowmobile sense especially if they have dogs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Something to think about, yesterday while out sledding in an area that has a lot of "shared trails" I always slow down to a crawl or stop and let them pass me by before proceeding. I got two verbal thank you' s from the hikers and a few thank full waves. That is how it should be, so the next time you come across a hiker try it , that is how we can change the minds of those that want trails closed or there own separate trail. Plus it is only common snowmobile sense especially if they have dogs.

I agree 100%. We all know what group gets the boot if there is conflict. The sledders. Make sure those sharing the trail feel safe as you pass and they will never be complaining. Well, except for Karen, Karen always complains.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

We do that even when quadding to not leave a Homer Simpson "Eat My Dust" trail.  Usually get smiles from others.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Muskoka Bill said:

Ahh WTF do you know!  Don’t all hikers want to be roosted by some can running paddle tracked yahoo!   I mean the video looks so cool!   

I wish the asshats would slow down not only when passing hikers and dog walkers but also when passing other sleds in opposite direction.   Even on a straight stretch.  Accidents are so quick to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1