Quebec Free Weekend is Cancelled

bbakernbay

https://portesouvertessurlessentiersdemotoneige.ca/en/obtain-your-free-temporary-trail-permit/

Here is a link to get your free permit.  

Edited by scottyr

15 hours ago, stoney said:

Skiing could have easily been left open, just means might be a longer line for the chair lift due to "social distancing", but if you have a face covering, which most would anyways, that is limiting the spread as well.

Minimize even more the number of people getting rentals at one time.

Keep the chalet closed or provide a drive thru type window for people wanting to order food from outside.

And bathroom use is limited by numbers, even plop a Johnny on the spot or two outside.

What else is there really.....

:crazy:

I think so too.

I don't believe the risk of injury had anything to do with the closings. It was the socializing at the ski hills that killed it. That first weekend that Mount St Louis and Blue opened, all the Toronto skiers ran to the hills. Pictures all over Facebook showed large groups gathering at the bottom of the hills, no social distancing, no masks even though they were told to. There was no policing being provided by the ski hill staff.

29 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think so too.

I don't believe the risk of injury had anything to do with the closings. It was the socializing at the ski hills that killed it. That first weekend that Mount St Louis and Blue opened, all the Toronto skiers ran to the hills. Pictures all over Facebook showed large groups gathering at the bottom of the hills, no social distancing, no masks even though they were told to. There was no policing being provided by the ski hill staff.

Well that is not helping their case.

I remember seeing a video of a hill in Europe somewhere with the Police all over the hill enforcing the rules.

4 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Ski hill is probabily getting emergency funding to make snow and keep some essential staff to do job. I am sure they qualify for latest round of curb payments for buisness. 

On Barrie news a person representing an association of Ontario ski resorts mentioned the ski resorts didn't have information coming from the province whether they would be able to open for business after the 23rd of January. They were trying to determine the value of investing in snow making. If they weren't going to be able to open there wouldn't be much point. He also suggested the resorts may be looking for a financial bailout. They have had bad snow years in the past and received government bailouts. Interestingly though they haven't paid anything back when they have had record years and profits. I recall one year where Blue Mountain was boasting that they were able to provide skiing and golfing on the same day due to an exceptional year weatherwise.

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Reducing injuries makes sense, but that same argument can be used for sledding, driving or workplace accidents.

Accidents happen in all these areas, I honestly have no idea the numbers, but I would think ski hill accidents cannot be that high, I know we usually do not see many when we go......but if you have more higher risk activities, greater chances for sure for more accidents to happen.

But we have all these hospitals for a reason as well that come at a very big price tag that we all pay for and I think not all of them are seeing the same higher numbers either.

Perhaps it's related to the Ski Patrol that comes to the rescue on the ski hill for your injuries.

23 hours ago, gobills said:

The main reason for ski hills to be shut down was to prevent the influx of injuries into local hospitals taking resources away from other areas of the hospitals.

I get it though your outside doing an activity, but they had to draw a line somewhere.

Personally I think sledding is coming soon jmo.

Holy crap...

Nobody tell the gubernment how many people die and get hurt sledding!

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Not cancelled.  They moved the date to mid February now.

No they didnt.   Its still this weekend.  

Not too clear is it...from FCMQ

Snowmobile open house ❄️❄️ Event postponed February 27-28, 2021
With the latest government announcements about COVID-19, the federation Quebec snowmobile clubs must postpone its Open Doors event on the snowmobile trails coming from January 16 and 17 at 27 and 28 February 2021.
The event aimed at sharing and sharing snowmobile activity to our friends, neighbors or colleagues cannot be consistent with the measures currently in place. In order to coach new followers and assist them in the safe practice of snowmobile activity, physical distancing is not possible and the family bubble is not respected.
We thank you for your understanding of this unusual situation.
Open house on snowmobile trails in collaboration with, official insurer of FCMQ, and Bombardier Recreational Products.
You will be able to get your free temporary access right, which is mandatory, on the registration website!
Looking forward to crossing each other on the trail!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
from

Club Motoneige Laurentien 12-619

2thdiSpSonsoSred  · 

Good news, the FCMQ has decided because of the little snow received that the Open House 2021 will be pushed back to February 27 and 28

freedays.thumb.jpg.5a809137cc61b040ddd57e2efb576078.jpg

St. Raymond...

freedays01.jpg.8739b70d6a644e4c3d8ea1212fac1486.jpg

Edited by slomo
what a year.....
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, scottyr said:

I stand corrected.  

Scotty, part of the confusion is that the English version of the FCMQ website has not been updated. I also applied for the OpenHouse permit last night and the dates still show Jan 16/17. 

9 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Scotty, part of the confusion is that the English version of the FCMQ website has not been updated. I also applied for the OpenHouse permit last night and the dates still show Jan 16/17. 

I just printed one. Original date is crossed off and says rescheduled for February 27-28, 2021.