new sled for the season...

rws

2018 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 RR ES 137

I've got some accessories ordered for it to add a little customization...higher windshield, heavy duty skid plate, heavy duty front bumper and a deluxe cover.  As the season goes on I will add a few other items.

My 2015 sled had a ton of miles on it so it was time to upgrade.

Loaded on the trailer at the dealership and ready to head home.

2018-ZR-8000-RR-loaded-at-dealer.jpg

Nothing wrong with that colour scheme, I've seen much worse ones.  I didn't much like the grey/yellow on mine at first but it's grown on me.

Looks good, enjoy !!

Great looking sled. Happy trails.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Looks good, Cat always has nice colour schemes.

So did your 2015 have around 30,000 km on it based on your mileage chart....is that sled all factory still?

With the Suzuki 2-stroke motor that mileage should be no problem with only exhaust valve cleaning.  I have a new Cat made 800 this year and hope it can hold up like the Suzuki motors.

RWS........

Time will tell with the new motors.

The sled looks great and the new panels should be a great improvement.

I will be following your adventures as before.  Have a great season. 

Nice looking sled Congrats, looking forward to your reports and how many miles you do this year.

23 hours ago, stoney said:

Looks good, Cat always has nice colour schemes.

So did your 2015 have around 30,000 km on it based on your mileage chart....is that sled all factory still?

here's shots of the odometer and hour meter from this morning

edit...forgot about stator

I replaced a lot of stuff on this machine but the engine has never been opened up...except to clean the APV valves once and replaced the stator.

18,534 miles should calculate out to 29,828 km

2015-XF-miles.jpgUploaded at Snapagogo.com

579.8 hours

2015-XF-hours.jpgUploaded at Snapagogo.com

thanks for the comments on the sled...I'm looking forward for the season to begin...

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

With the Suzuki 2-stroke motor that mileage should be no problem with only exhaust valve cleaning.  I have a new Cat made 800 this year and hope it can hold up like the Suzuki motors.

RWS........

Time will tell with the new motors.

The sled looks great and the new panels should be a great improvement.

I will be following your adventures as before.  Have a great season. 

Oh, I have not doubts about the Cat (Suzuki) 800 motors, it is just not common to see folks that have than many miles, especially on a 3 year old sled.....lots of people would not believe it, especially from a CAT!

The CAT 600's have been holding up well, from what I know, so I am sure the new CAT 800 will as well.

1 hour ago, rws said:

here's shots of the odometer and hour meter from this morning

I replaced a lot of stuff on this machine but the engine has never been opened up...except to clean the APV valves once

18,534 miles should calculate out to 29,828 km

579.8 hours

Great to see and hear!

I have never found my power valves on any of my Cat's to be all that dirty either.

How did the drive line bearings and chain case hold up with those miles....one of the items that you replaced as a preventative item or had no choice?

Even the Cat dealer in Hearst couldn't believe it when we pulled my daughters sled in on a very cold evening.  She blew a belt and was running on a very high mileage spare so they volunteered to replace it after I bought a new one from them.  It was like minus 36° so we took them up on the offer.  The guy said they don't run that long and I said my Crossfires ALL do.

I have run 4 different 2006 Cat Crossfire 700cc sleds over 25,000 miles not kilometers with only APV cleaning each season and change the 4 spark plugs too.  (One went 35K)  Those Suzuki motors were bullet proof!

Have also run 1000cc and 800cc Suzuki motors lots of miles with no issues.  The most on those were about 17,000 miles, but still have an 800cc & 1000cc going strong.

Hope the new Cat 2-stroke Motors can do that with only plugs and exhaust valve cleaning.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Oh, I have not doubts about the Cat (Suzuki) 800 motors, it is just not common to see folks that have than many miles, especially on a 3 year old sled.....lots of people would not believe it, especially from a CAT!

The CAT 600's have been holding up well, from what I know, so I am sure the new CAT 800 will as well.

Great to see and hear!

I have never found my power valves on any of my Cat's to be all that dirty either.

How did the drive line bearings and chain case hold up with those miles....one of the items that you replaced as a preventative item or had no choice?

I don't recall the mileage but it was Feb of the second season when the upper chaincase bearing went out when I was on a 3 day Ontario saddlebag ride.  Had to drive it some miles to get into Sioux Lookout.  Ended up replacing the complete chaincase and internals.

I am keeping an eye on my Chinese chaincase bearings as well.  From what I have seen on forums, the balls flake off and get rough.  I will try to get NTN or SKF to replace them with.  I am checking them every summer.

I also have 23,000 miles on my T-cat.  Not the same crank or pistons though.  My problem was a used and modified sled when I bought it.  It had lots of detonation going on and needed 105 octane gas.  That was the last USED sled I will ever buy.  Put it back to almost stock over time.

I don't understand why there are so many yellow sleds for sale with 5,000 km on them.

BP

4 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I am keeping an eye on my Chinese chaincase bearings as well.  From what I have seen on forums, the balls flake off and get rough.  I will try to get NTN or SKF to replace them with.  I am checking them every summer.

I also have 23,000 miles on my T-cat.  Not the same crank or pistons though.  My problem was a used and modified sled when I bought it.  It had lots of detonation going on and needed 105 octane gas.  That was the last USED sled I will ever buy.  Put it back to almost stock over time.

I don't understand why there are so many yellow sleds for sale with 5,000 km on them.

BP

Because that is the first scheduled engine replacement time frame for those.... :)

19 minutes ago, rws said:

I don't recall the mileage but it was Feb of the second season when the upper chaincase bearing went out when I was on a 3 day Ontario saddlebag ride.  Had to drive it some miles to get into Sioux Lookout.  Ended up replacing the complete chaincase and internals.

So around 15,000 km or 9000 miles than based on your miles posted.....which is not bad at all if those bearings lasted that long! 

On November 2, 2017 at 10:30 PM, rws said:

2018 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 RR ES 137

I've got some accessories ordered for it to add a little customization...higher windshield, heavy duty skid plate, heavy duty front bumper and a deluxe cover.  As the season goes on I will add a few other items.

My 2015 sled had a ton of miles on it so it was time to upgrade.

Loaded on the trailer at the dealership and ready to head home.

2018-ZR-8000-RR-loaded-at-dealer.jpg

Congrats !!! That's a sick sled !!!

Nice sled RWS. I have that sled but in a 129 on the way. Still not sold on the colour combo, but I wanted the 4 qs3 shock package. First time Ive seen the RR on the snow, and I'll admit... looks better at every angle. Thanks for posting and keep us updated.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:38 PM, higshemi said:

Nice sled RWS. I have that sled but in a 129 on the way. Still not sold on the colour combo, but I wanted the 4 qs3 shock package. First time Ive seen the RR on the snow, and I'll admit... looks better at every angle. Thanks for posting and keep us updated.

me too...I wanted the QS3R's...rebound adjustable

Thanks guys for the input on the Suzuki 800's.  I just bought a New Old Stock 2015 ZR8000 SnoPro from Country Corner's Truck Load Sale for an incredible deal and am happy to hear these are the most bullet proof 2 strokes in the industry. 

Thats awesome that the power valves hardly need any maintenance as well?  Is everyone running the Cat APV oil in the Suzuki 800s?

First time back on a 2 stroke in years for me.  Been running 4 strokes since 2008!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to feeling the lightness and snappy power as well as the fresh 2 stroke scent!  Mmmmmm!

21 minutes ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Looking forward to feeling the lightness and snappy power!

cat-epic-fail-1.gif

That would be me, crossing any creek on a sled. Went thru windshield twice on one trip. Buddies (I use the term loosely) still laugh about it. Not sure how guys don't impale the skis in the opposing river bank on a water crossing. Getting better...throttling to get front up...but boy did I learn the hard way. Good thing I was driving my wife's sled that day. 

Thx Blake.

36 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Went thru windshield twice on one trip.

There is the reason you don't put the trail pass on the windshield.  When you put it elsewhere, you will stop breaking the windshield.

BP

6 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

There is the reason you don't put the trail pass on the windshield.  When you put it elsewhere, you will stop breaking the windshield.

BP

Doesn't that mean that if you put the trail permit on one of the engine cover panels you'll break that instead though? :D

Archived