new sled for the season...

rws

Nowadays, there'd be Sledjunk's GoPro to catch these displays of snowmobiling brilliance :-P

Spring sledding. Open creeks. You know you're Canadian when ....

2 hours ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Thanks guys for the input on the Suzuki 800's.  I just bought a New Old Stock 2015 ZR8000 SnoPro from Country Corner's Truck Load Sale for an incredible deal and am happy to hear these are the most bullet proof 2 strokes in the industry. 

Thats awesome that the power valves hardly need any maintenance as well?  Is everyone running the Cat APV oil in the Suzuki 800s?

First time back on a 2 stroke in years for me.  Been running 4 strokes since 2008!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to feeling the lightness and snappy power as well as the fresh 2 stroke scent!  Mmmmmm!

I would be broke if I ran Cat APV Oil in my Suzuki Motors.

I have always run a JASO FC and now JASO FD (cleaner yet) oil rating in my motors.  (The JASO FB rating works in a pinch and is much cheaper, but will gum up the exhaust valves much faster.)

The oils which seem to work fine are the same ones which are called for in most 2-stroke PWC.  They also are very expensive like the name brand sled oils.  You must run an oil rated for air cooled 2-strokes when you don't carry enough and run out or cannot find the brand name sled oil you normally run.  NEVER RUN NMMA TC-W Type rated oils!  They are not what you need.

I have almost 100% run Citgo Sea & Snow or Mystik Sea & Snow 2-cycle oil.  It is all the same stuff put out by Citgo and has API TC, JASO FD, and ISO-L-EGD ratings!  I have found this oil anywhere from $0.99 per quart when Gander Mountain quit carrying it to now when I get it for $5.99 per quart at a Citgo Gas Station near my house.  I have also ordered it at a farm store in gallon jugs for about the same unit price.  The really cheap days are gone, but it may be one of the better values in rated 2-stroke oils?

Perhaps run the Cat oil for maybe the first 1000 miles to be sure the motor is a good one, but I have never seen a bad one.  Pre mix the first tank to be sure oil is being used out of the reservoir and check for any leaks or cut lines.  That is usually my first ride and then I switch to Sea & Snow Oil or a cheaper FASO FD rated oil.

I have seen the prices in Canada and WOW is all I can say. 

8 hours ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Thanks guys for the input on the Suzuki 800's.  I just bought a New Old Stock 2015 ZR8000 SnoPro from Country Corner's Truck Load Sale for an incredible deal and am happy to hear these are the most bullet proof 2 strokes in the industry. 

Thats awesome that the power valves hardly need any maintenance as well?  Is everyone running the Cat APV oil in the Suzuki 800s?

First time back on a 2 stroke in years for me.  Been running 4 strokes since 2008!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to feeling the lightness and snappy power as well as the fresh 2 stroke scent!  Mmmmmm!

Congrats on the sled - did you post any pictures?

I run the CAT oil, always have, some don't, as already mentioned......tossed around the idea many times of switching up, but just never did.

I do not know why, but for some reason the oil ratio on these sleds are all over the map.....might want to calculate that and adjust if you so desire (usually they come on the fat side).

I would run cat apv oil or drift 2 stroke oil which is cats racing department oil. I've seen some ugly valves using the cheap oil. Apv oil and they run clean for thousands of miles.

the new cat ctek motors take a new oil, it is like water, it is NOTHING LIKE CATS APV OIL. please be aware of this when buying, and using the oil on the new gen (non Suzuki) motors. the 600 has been out since 2014 (I believe), the 800 is an all new ctek this year. i am unaware of the spec and I am unsure the aftermarket has met this spec just yet so, buyer beware. Ski

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

the new cat ctek motors take a new oil, it is like water, it is NOTHING LIKE CATS APV OIL. please be aware of this when buying, and using the oil on the new gen (non Suzuki) motors. the 600 has been out since 2014 (I believe), the 800 is an all new ctek this year. i am unaware of the spec and I am unsure the aftermarket has met this spec just yet so, buyer beware. Ski

Seeing as you can run the new cat oil in both old and new Mills, I wouldn't be surprised if cat discontines the old at some point.

As noted, the new oil is a lot thinner though...plus is sold in a completely different type of container.

Being it is thinner oil , the injection oil pumps will have to be changed in older models to reflect correct mix ratios. the new "container" is a bag (in most sizes), and in my opinion, is not a very safe, stable way for storage, transfer. you can buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs so, we just need to get used to that idea as well. times they are a changin. I will stick with my apv for now. :D Ski

22 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Being it is thinner oil , the injection oil pumps will have to be changed in older models to reflect correct mix ratios. the new "container" is a bag (in most sizes), and in my opinion, is not a very safe, stable way for storage, transfer. you can buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs so, we just need to get used to that idea as well. times they are a changin. I will stick with my apv for now. :D Ski

The bags of oil are not an issue to carry on the sled. I’ve never had one bust open even though I put it in a plastic bag just in case it leaks and tie it down inside my tunnel bag. It’s thinner oil so it flows properly at the cold temps with the small amounts that are injected and a constant variable of ratio from being electronically controlled. Low rpms it’s only injected on top of the piston, higher rpms it get injected into the wrist pins as well via the slotted piston. Guys find leaks of oil during the summer months because the warmth thins it out even more. Usually just leaks from a t fitting at the oil reservoir. Just part of inspection pre season and between rides. Mine has never leaked. 

As far as changing pump ratios on older machines to run ctec oil.... I wouldn’t do that. Just because the oil is thinner does not mean the ratio changes through an older style pump. The volume needed that flows through the pump and lines is still the same no matter how thick apv is compared to ctec. Older machines need a higher ratio to be reliable. There’s many reasons why the ctec is so thin to run in the new 2 stroke 6 and 8 hundreds. Maintaining cold starting ease and protection is one. The small amounts that are injected at low rpm to only the top of the piston and then to the wrist pins via the slotted pistons at higher rpm as well needs to be quick and precise while being able to keep the usage low. Thicker oil can’t do that. If you want to run it in older sleds, go ahead and leave pump ratios alone. JMO. 

I honestly did not notice any significantly more oil usage last year when I tried the new CAT oil in my 2013 800 mill.

My reasons for trying the new thinner oil was for extreme cold morning starts.....anyone ever poor a liter of APV oil when it is below -25 or tried to pull over your sled in those temps..... 

I normally check my oil ration on any new sleds that I have owned over the course of a few rides and adjust as I see fit.......always wondered how the factory set the oil pump rod length as it seems to be all over the map.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, skidooboy said:

This is 100% correct.  I was talking about the Suzuki Motors ONLY when I talked oil specs.  I am not sure what the API or JASO or ISO spec. might be on the new Cat Bag Oil.............

I have bought 5 bags of the new oil and plan to get a bunch more before the first trip.  I think the usage should be way down from my Suzuki Motors.  The bag does worry me, but it may be fine as FTS says.  I will have a 2nd bag around them when packed in my sled bag anyway.

JASO-FD runs pretty clean and seems to be as clean as APV Cat Oil when I have worked on my buddies sleds.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, skidooboy said:

I carried extra APV oil in MSP fuel bottles in the rear bag on saddlebag rides and will do the same for the C-tech2 oil.  Never any leakage.

MSRFuelBottle_zpsb4092fe9.jpg

1 hour ago, rws said:

I carried extra APV oil in MSP fuel bottles in the rear bag on saddlebag rides and will do the same for the C-tech2 oil.  Never any leakage.

MSRFuelBottle_zpsb4092fe9.jpg

Looks like a good system.  I have carried between 4 and 8 quarts as we usually are traveling for 3 or 4 days and the Suzuki Motors used lots of oil.

There were a few CTEC 800's out mid season last winter.  Has anyone heard about oil consumption?

Hoping the CTEC Motors go much farther on the oil, but if more oil is greater life, I will not worry as much about the much higher cost of the Bag Oil vs. the Sea & Snow I was using in the past.

Archived