Insurance quotes?

Baylaker

6 minutes ago, apeXMAN said:

Can everyone posting their Insurance cost also post whats your deductible if you have the coverage? you can change your cost of you increase your deductible. Mine is $300 deductible but I pay $600 year 2013 apex. I feel I pay to much with TD and all your input makes we think I should shop around some more.Thanks

My deductible is also $300 with TD Meloche Monnex and $665 for two sleds not one. That's liability and comprehensive but not collision 2015 Cat ZR7000 El Tigre

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a standalone policy, with the same company as all my other insurance is. House, farm, cars etc...

my 95 skidoo grand touring is only liability,                                                $303

my 02 skidoo grand touring is $500 deductible comprehensive            $337

my 10 skidoo grand touring is $500 ded each on comp and collision   $492

wtax$1222.56

We have a stand-alone policy with The Personal for our "toys"...2 sleds and 2 ATVs. 

Deductibles are the same on both sleds ($500) , and we carry 1 million liability, standard accident benefits, and comprehensive, but no collision...and thankfully, we are claims-free:

2018 MXZ Blizzard 900 ACE:  $125 (incl. tax)

2016 MXZ Blizzard 900 ACE : $120 (incl. tax)

3 hours ago, irREVerent said:

We have a stand-alone policy with The Personal for our "toys"...2 sleds and 2 ATVs. 

Deductibles are the same on both sleds ($500) , and we carry 1 million liability, standard accident benefits, and comprehensive, but no collision...and thankfully, we are claims-free:

2018 MXZ Blizzard 900 ACE:  $125 (incl. tax)

2016 MXZ Blizzard 900 ACE : $120 (incl. tax)

Who is the company you deal with?

3 hours ago, gobills said:

The Personal is the name.  

I think we all would be cheaper not having collision as stated above.  Just curious why no collision on a 2018 sled??  

Of course insurance is cheaper without collision, which often doubles the total premium cost, based on quotes I've received from time to time.

We have "self-insured" for collision for many, many years, figuring we're experienced enough riders that we'll take the low risk that we'll have an at-fault accident, and we'll pay the cost of repair (or in the worst case, total replacement) if we do. The amount we've saved in significantly lower premiums over all of those years would likely cover much of the cost of a new sled, even at today's prices.

TD Meloche Monnex.  $213 taxes included, basic coverage for 440 Polaris.  Price has always been in the $160-$180 in previous years.  

17 hours ago, Dave K said:

I have a standalone policy, with the same company as all my other insurance is. House, farm, cars etc...

my 95 skidoo grand touring is only liability,                                                $303

my 02 skidoo grand touring is $500 deductible comprehensive            $337

my 10 skidoo grand touring is $500 ded each on comp and collision   $492

wtax$1222.56

I forgot to add, that is $2 million in liability

I have always understood that with no collision/full coverage on your sled and if you are in an accident in tow, your sled damage is not covered.

Trailer is covered under its policy (if you have one), but not it's contents.

And the tow vehicle is covered under its policy, but not what it is towing.

Not sure if there are any insurances guys on the forum that could validate that or no.

58 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have always understood that with no collision/full coverage on your sled and if you are in an accident in tow, your sled damage is not covered.

Not sure if there are any insurances guys on the forum that could validate that or no.

I think that may depend on the terms of your separate trailer coverage (if you have any, which we do), but I suspect you are correct. 

Insurance rules are really strange at times. One example... if you are following a truck with a ladder strapped to the roof and it comes off. If the ladder is airborne and hits your vehicle it is covered under your comprehensive policy. However if it comes off the roof AND HITS THE GROUND BEFORE IT  HITS YOUR VEHICLE  then it's not covered under comprehensive but collision.

33 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

I think that may depend on the terms of your separate trailer coverage (if you have any, which we do), but I suspect you are correct. 

Yes, that sounds accurate....I recall having this discussion with INS years ago about my car hauler and my track car that was transported inside of it.

I generally keep full coverage on my sleds for that reason, the trailer may have an option to add more to it, but I know with TD, if your sled is damaged/wrote off, TD pays out the amount that you have recorded on the policy that your sled is worth.

Which brings up another point about calling into your ins yearly or every other year so they adjust the value they have on the system for your sled......TD does not lower the value as each year goes by on sleds, you need to engage them to make that adjustment, if you want them to lower your premiums of course on a aging sled....

I know that if my shed burns down, and the sled is in the shed, it is not covered under the contents of the shed.  It needs its own fire  on the sled policy

9 hours ago, stoney said:

Yes, that sounds accurate....I recall having this discussion with INS years ago about my car hauler and my track car that was transported inside of it.

I generally keep full coverage on my sleds for that reason, the trailer may have an option to add more to it, but I know with TD, if your sled is damaged/wrote off, TD pays out the amount that you have recorded on the policy that your sled is worth.

Which brings up another point about calling into your ins yearly or every other year so they adjust the value they have on the system for your sled......TD does not lower the value as each year goes by on sleds, you need to engage them to make that adjustment, if you want them to lower your premiums of course on a aging sled....

Yup just found this out as well about phoning yearly.  

Also most snowmobile accidents on trail are deemed to be no fault. Under most circumstances you will find you will need collision to get your sled fixed. My collision rate is around 170 a year with 1000 deductible. 

Why fight with insurance company over a few hundred dollars a year on a sled worth 15 k. No matter what happens it will get fixed.

23 hours ago, stoney said:

Exactly the same as "items" in your vehicle when you have and accident with the vehicle. Items attached to the car like a car seat or any CD disc actually in the radio are covered. Other items sitting in the car are not covered.

28 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Exactly the same as "items" in your vehicle when you have and accident with the vehicle. Items attached to the car like a car seat or any CD disc actually in the radio are covered. Other items sitting in the car are not covered.

However the items in your car would be covered under your home policy and if you have replacement cost on that policy you would be even better off. The standard is whatever the contents coverage for your home is, you are covered for 10% of that for property away from home. 

When it comes down to it, there is an ins policy or endorsement out there for just about everything, if you truly want it and willing to pay it.

I believe there was a stat issued years ago that Canadian are most insured bunch of people.....

I look at my sled as one of those toys that is worth having full coverage on giving the nature of what we use them for:

• towing to a destination in usually less than ideal driving conditions 
  • going through the bush at a high rate of speed (sometimes) with lots of fixed items like trees and rocks
  • the other people you see in the bush and the way THEY ride :icon_steer:
  • there are no official center lines on the trail suggesting who was actually on the wrong side....

Full coverage is a fairly nominal cost in the grand scheme of things.

One of the best things to come out of technology growth these days are the security cameras in parking lots, Go Pro's and Dash Cams. They are eliminating the his word against mine as to who is at fault more and more.

According to an underwriter I spoke to a while ago, he thinks you will find insurance companies offering a discount for your vehicle insurance if you have a dash cam before long.

Or using an app or maybe a chip that tracks your vehicle, your habits, etc....

I am sorry, but that is ridiculous, so is the whole embedded personal chip idea....I am not paranoid or a criminal, but that is crazy! 

29 minutes ago, stoney said:

Or using an app or maybe a chip that tracks your vehicle, your habits, etc....

I am sorry, but that is ridiculous, so is the whole embedded personal chip idea....I am not paranoid or a criminal, but that is crazy! 

Why would getting a discount for having a dash cam in your car be ridiculous. It would only come into play in the event of an accident. i.e. You are driving through an intersection. Someone runs through a red light or a stop sign and plows into you. No witnesses. Just your word against his. A dash cam can work for or against you depending on the circumstances. In the example though it works in your favour. It saves the insurance company a significant amount of cash and time since the investigation on their part comes down to simply watching the video that clearly shows the other guy running the red light or failing to stop for the sign.

A dash cam is a long way from an embedded chip.

I don't have a problem with a phone app either. Currently we have premiums where a lot of very safe drivers are paying for a lot of very bad drivers. Having a phone app that shows your driving habits could mean that the person who drives in proximity of the speed limit sees a savings in their premiums while the other who regularly drives 140 to 150 in a 100 zone sees their premiums go up. Or the person who says they only drive 20,000 km a year actually is closer to 40,000 km sees an increase.

I don't have a problem with people paying insurance premiums based on the actual risk level they present.

From what I understand your on board system in the car / tuck records a lot of information already such as speed being traveled and did you or did you not apply your brakes before an impact.

29 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Why would getting a discount for having a dash cam in your car be ridiculous. It would only come into play in the event of an accident. i.e. You are driving through an intersection. Someone runs through a red light or a stop sign and plows into you. No witnesses. Just your word against his. A dash cam can work for or against you depending on the circumstances. In the example though it works in your favour. It saves the insurance company a significant amount of cash and time since the investigation on their part comes down to simply watching the video that clearly shows the other guy running the red light or failing to stop for the sign.

A dash cam is a long way from an embedded chip.

I don't have a problem with a phone app either. Currently we have premiums where a lot of very safe drivers are paying for a lot of very bad drivers. Having a phone app that shows your driving habits could mean that the person who drives in proximity of the speed limit sees a savings in their premiums while the other who regularly drives 140 to 150 in a 100 zone sees their premiums go up. Or the person who says they only drive 20,000 km a year actually is closer to 40,000 km sees an increase.

I don't have a problem with people paying insurance premiums based on the actual risk level they present.

From what I understand your on board system in the car / tuck records a lot of information already such as speed being traveled and did you or did you not apply your brakes before an impact.

A dash cam = no problem

A chip on either your car or body that you have agreed to that potentially tracks everything about you = no thank you 

Soon, if not already in some parts, you will have a chip embedded, like a dog, that will be used for your ID, debit transactions, potential insurance discounts, etc.....

Yes, a modern car has a system that can provide details should such an accident occur that it is needed.....however I am not sure what the legal side of that is and what it can or cannot be used for.

I am sure your smart phone could be used for the same thing, but can it legally be used without your consent....

Call me crazy, but I like my freedom.....those that are okay & have agreed to being knowingly "watched" or "tracked" with everything they do, feel free to cash in on that discount.

Do  you have the insurance program right now in affect that offers you a discount based on your use, speed, etc...being tracked? If not, you should inquire asap as I am almost certain that it is available to those willing to agree to it for some savings.....pretty sure I was asked about it in the the last few months when I added a new car to my policy. 

I agree with the personal chip aspect. There is a company in Sweden where employees are chipped instead of having access cards or time cards. They know when you are in or out of the building. It unlocks doors and systems you have access to rather than rely on a card that can be passed around for access. It will automatically pay overtime etc. There are a lot of benefits to it. There are also some "invasive" drawbacks but at the same time those drawbacks can cut down on abuse depending on whether you are the employer or the employee.

The employer can readily identify employees who are chronically a "bit late" and leave a "bit early" regularly, take longer lunches and breaks than they are entitled to, the number and frequency of "smoke" breaks which impede productivity compared to non smokers etc.

On the smoke break aspect I heard on the news lately a couple of companies in Japan are now offering employees who don't smoke additional vacation over those that do and assistance in stopping smoking.

I was talking to my insurance company just yesterday and we spoke about the phone app and I may consider doing it. We have two vehicles and now that we are retired they don't get used nearly as often as they used to. A savings of 25% is nothing to simply ignore. We don't tend to be driving around in the to and from work commute. Avoid Friday and Sunday cottage commutes and once we are there are tending to stay much longer.

44 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I agree with the personal chip aspect. There is a company in Sweden where employees are chipped instead of having access cards or time cards. They know when you are in or out of the building. It unlocks doors and systems you have access to rather than rely on a card that can be passed around for access. It will automatically pay overtime etc. There are a lot of benefits to it. There are also some "invasive" drawbacks but at the same time those drawbacks can cut down on abuse depending on whether you are the employer or the employee.

The employer can readily identify employees who are chronically a "bit late" and leave a "bit early" regularly, take longer lunches and breaks than they are entitled to, the number and frequency of "smoke" breaks which impede productivity compared to non smokers etc.

On the smoke break aspect I heard on the news lately a couple of companies in Japan are now offering employees who don't smoke additional vacation over those that do and assistance in stopping smoking.

I was talking to my insurance company just yesterday and we spoke about the phone app and I may consider doing it. We have two vehicles and now that we are retired they don't get used nearly as often as they used to. A savings of 25% is nothing to simply ignore. We don't tend to be driving around in the to and from work commute. Avoid Friday and Sunday cottage commutes and once we are there are tending to stay much longer.

My wife was telling me about non smokers in Japan as well that get an extra week holidays or something like that.

As for the tracking of workers i.e. breaks, arrival, departure, etc....that should be mandatory on public sector employees....:icon_munching:

7 hours ago, stoney said:

A dash cam = no problem

A chip on either your car or body that you have agreed to that potentially tracks everything about you = no thank you 

Soon, if not already in some parts, you will have a chip embedded, like a dog, that will be used for your ID, debit transactions, potential insurance discounts, etc.....

Yes, a modern car has a system that can provide details should such an accident occur that it is needed.....however I am not sure what the legal side of that is and what it can or cannot be used for.

I am sure your smart phone could be used for the same thing, but can it legally be used without your consent....

Call me crazy, but I like my freedom.....those that are okay & have agreed to being knowingly "watched" or "tracked" with everything they do, feel free to cash in on that discount.

Do  you have the insurance program right now in affect that offers you a discount based on your use, speed, etc...being tracked? If not, you should inquire asap as I am almost certain that it is available to those willing to agree to it for some savings.....pretty sure I was asked about it in the the last few months when I added a new car to my policy. 

We shouldn’t have to pay for privacy or freedom any more than we already do. Isn’t a driving record or abstract good enough??? My insurance should be 50$ a month for vehicle AND sled. It’s all a scam 

Archived