Cochrane This Weekend

Doze00F7

On our way now should arrive around 12:00-1:00 am Thanks for the trail update Blake

T

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed today's ride and gave myself a pretty good familiarization tour of trails in the Cochrane area.

We are going to check out of the Westway tomorrow morning and drive toward home.

Still on the bucket list for future visits are a complete canyon ride, expeditions to Timmins and Iroquois Falls, and a meet-up with Denis.

Started off taking cookster's route, east out of Cochrane on L109 then north and west on L101 until I came to the A103.

post-22473-0-55164600-1458256397_thumb.jpg

Went north for several miles to get a look at the trail to Abitibi Canyon. One of the sites was this tire corral.

post-22473-0-33460700-1458256427_thumb.jpg

Turned around and headed south toward Trail A.

post-22473-0-61744300-1458256453_thumb.jpg

Stopped along Trail A when leaving the Cochrane Polar Bear Riders territory....

post-22473-0-31000800-1458256481_thumb.jpg

...and when entering Smooth Rock Falls Arctic Riders territory.

post-22473-0-67982100-1458256521_thumb.jpg

A few hours later I enjoyed the huge spruce plantation TOP A on the way toward Iroquois Falls.

post-22473-0-52117200-1458256548_thumb.jpg

I forgot to include this photo, taken on the way back from Smooth Rock Falls.

An honour to ride these trails.

post-22473-0-58303500-1458256719_thumb.jpg

Following in the footsteps of others. (Zoom in.)

post-22473-0-10123300-1458256743_thumb.jpg

I must congratulate the Cochrane and Smooth Rock Falls clubs, for consistently striving to provide the best possible riding opportunities for all of us.

Based on the look of the trails you're pulling our leg. You took the pictures weeks ago and are really at home in Gravenhurst just trying to make us jealous of the fun you're having. :-)

Glad you had a great time... looks great

post-22850-0-62259100-1458257704_thumb.jpg

Saturday morning ... offloading the sled at Moonbeam clubhouse and heading East. Riding at least to the Greenstone park lookout, time permitted all the way to Cochrane. Doing whatever trails I can in no particular order.

Anyone in the area wanting to play Tour Guide just pm me your number and we'll figger something out.

Apparently Cochrane's not just for snowmobiling.

Jennifer and Emily had a good time visiting the Polar Bear Habitat.

post-22473-0-26187800-1458258807_thumb.jpg

Did you visit the antique snowmobile museum? Ask about it when you check out tomorrow ... I've seen pics some nice hardware in there.

Sleds are loaded in the trailer, truck is fixed, ready to head to cochrane in the am.

I'm soo looking forward to this.

Today from the Kap Snp-Rovers' Faceplant page:

Went to check on our trails today. They are all in good shape. Some bare spots here and there. Some water on some trails, but with this cold weather, it is all frozen. The " A " trail along HWY. 11 is in rough condition, but safe. Water on the ice with very little slush on the Kap River and on the creeks. The snow bridges have sunken a little , so drive slowly and observe the signage. Will be grooming the top " A " trail,and the L-123 from the L-141 to Fanning Lake on Friday evening. Our trails should stay open ,hopefully for another week. Ride safe and enjoy your ride.

12741968_10153427274411220_4367189591189
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

Com

From Weds:

Unfortunately, due to Tembec Forest Operations, we will need to close the L-123 trail west of the L-145 trail, to the " A " trail to Opasatica. This closure will happen on Thursday March 17th 2016. Please stay off this part of the trail. It's for your own safety. The trail will be down to gravel and there will be plenty of traffic.Thank you for your cooperation.

I saw that ... I might have ridden right from home, but if I have to do the A to Kap, there's a 3km stretch of concession road to run North of Val Rita. I could have bypassed on the L123 but not gonna happen.  I'd just as soon truck over past that area and drop in better snow.  Moonbeam has lots more snow than here anyway, and zero road running.

Looks like Arctic Riders SRF club is holding a "club ride" over to Cochrane doing the "C" loop ... I'm guessing Cochrane, then South towards Timmins and back up the C .... might meet up with them, or just ride solo.  I'll decide when I leave the clubhouse tomorrow.

I saw that ... I might have ridden right from home, but if I have to do the A to Kap, there's a 3km stretch of concession road to run North of Val Rita.

That stretch was borderline last week. The trail hasn't always run that road has it?

I saw that ... I might have ridden right from home, but if I have to do the A to Kap, there's a 3km stretch of concession road to run North of Val Rita. I could have bypassed on the L123 but not gonna happen.  I'd just as soon truck over past that area and drop in better snow.  Moonbeam has lots more snow than here anyway, and zero road running.

Looks like Arctic Riders SRF club is holding a "club ride" over to Cochrane doing the "C" loop ... I'm guessing Cochrane, then South towards Timmins and back up the C .... might meet up with them, or just ride solo.  I'll decide when I leave the clubhouse tomorrow.

Have fun Denis, I so wish I was off this weekend or I would have made the trek north again.

That stretch was borderline last week. The trail hasn't always run that road has it?

Couldn't say, you'd have to look at older maps to know, I've only been back trail riding for 3 years and it's been that route since then......

For anyone at the westway I'm in room 48

Wouldn't know Brian, I'm driving to Moonbeam tomorrow. Doesn't the Westway have a webcam? Check their website .....

Denis or others, how many trailers would be in town for one last ride?

This weekend can't see Many. Last year a hockey tournament had rooms booked at three hotels in cochrane, on this same weekend. I couldn't get a room until sunday night. Not sure if the tourney is on again this weekend or not.

Yes it is full and looks like aĺl sledders

Son and i are at Jr's for some food

Will knock on your door when we get back

I took my Hyland inline double trailer, which is for sale by the way, up to our NBSC yard today to park it for a month or so and there was an unknown covered double trailer there which had no wheels on it.

Just as I was leaving our VP showed up and I asked him who owns the trailer with no wheels.

He said it was one of our guys who were heading to Cochrane yesterday but never got outside City limits when the axle separated from the deck on Highway 11 near our HQ.

Ouch, a tough way to start a trip but he said they are up there as of this afternoon.

Sounded like there was a bit of road running as there was some other issue up there.

Waiting to hear the 'Rest of the Story'.

There is no road running in Cochrane area. Definitely adequate snow when I left Westway today. Crossing roads and parking lots is the only low snow issue.

I saw a black two-place Triton sled trailer, on a Sundridge-based flat bed tow truck, heading south near Bracebridge a few minutes ago. The driver's-side tire was shredded to nothing. The flatbed seemed to be closely led by a dark pickup truck, occupied by two frowning men with sled gear in the back seat.

Scoured the Westway lot this morning looking for fox's 3 summits, but couldn't find them.

Archived