Barbed wire across trails: Grey County

Blake G

CTV London
Published Monday, January 25, 2016 4:56PM EST

OPP issue warning after barbed wire place across snowmobile trail

Grey County OPP continue to investigate after barbed wire was found along snowmobile trails at the entrance to Crown land.

Police say a single strand of barbed wire had been erected at about 3' high across four separate entrances to Crown land in the area of Grey Road 31 and Road 57D in Grey Highlands.

The wire was accompanied by illegal signs that read, “Snowmobile Trail Closed...Snowmobiles Stay Off to Avoid Prosecution. Caution – Beware of Wire Barriers on Closed Trails...Rob Roy LOA, 27 December 2015.”

Officials are warning whoever was responsible for putting up the wire that if it happens again it could result in criminal charges and could open them to civil action.

The wire was removed, but police say it could have easily led to serious injuries or death to a snowmobile operator travelling at high speed or at night along the trails.

Police say the action may have been a result of a section of the Ontario Federation os Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) trail being re-routed due a change in ownership of private land, prompting snowmobilers and cross-country skiers to travel on Crown land or through residential neighbourhoods to connect with the trail.

The investigation is continuing, and anyone with information is asked to contact OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

http://london.ctvnews.ca/opp-issue-warning-after-barbed-wire-place-across-snowmobile-trail-1.2751343

Yikes. Isn't this a repeat of last year with the cable across trails?

Hit the local sign shops to see who had the signs made up.

Yikes. Isn't this a repeat of last year with the cable across trails?

I guess, but in a different district

Just sick, the OPP should investigate and lay charges. Why would they wait until it happens again? I sometimes think about this when I'm "at speed" on a long flat stretch of trail.

Livin'

Just sick, the OPP should investigate and lay charges. Why would they wait until it happens again?

Livin'

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the reporter mixed up some details. It does happen.

Man thats brutal!!! Thank god no one got hurt

.... yet .... it's just starting, riding that is ....

Just sick, the OPP should investigate and lay charges. Why would they wait until it happens again? I sometimes think about this when I'm "at 50 Km/H" on a long flat stretch of trail.

Livin'

Fixed it for you :lmao:

That could be a charge of attempted murder or manslaughter. The wire was intentionally placed at the height where it could take your head off.

They better find this SOB and soon! Make an example of him.

SJ , your not the only Mod I know!! At speed is how the cool kids say 50 Km/H. YOUR SHOWING YOUR AGE!! LOL

Livin'

SJ , your not the only Mod I know!! At speed is how the cool kids say 50 Km/H. YOUR SHOWING YOUR AGE!! LOL

Livin'

HeHe :rotflmao:

This is absolutely discusting to hear this,,,this A hole should be shot immediately when found and nothing less!!!!!

An ATV rider in the Parry sound area this fall caught a wire in the neck. Don\t know the details but he almost died and certainly will suffer the rest of his life. Like I said I don't know the details but I think a wire was across an existing trail or path .

RW

They caught a guy few years back in the same area putting wires across the trail. Turned out to be some old guy in his 70s doing it. He was never charged as he was found to be suffering from dementia and alzheimers, but his faimly was forced in to placing him in a home.

Natives were doing this in Cornwall area as well to take out RCMP officers giving chase well the natives smuggled smokes across the boarder.

My son is taking Police sciences in collage, I'll flip him the story and have him ask one of the instructors what the charge is for this.

An ATV rider in the Parry sound area this fall caught a wire in the neck. Don\t know the details but he almost died and certainly will suffer the rest of his life. Like I said I don't know the details but I think a wire was across an existing trail or path .

RW

I did not hear of this . Where and when did it happen? Honestly what are people thinking 

The problem is there not thinking of what could happen .distrurbing

The problem is there not thinking of what could happen .distrurbing

Or perhaps they are and are just real sick individuals

Again on Friday, January 29th:

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/01/31/more-barbed-wire-found

(STAFF) - For the second time in recent weeks, a barbed wire barrier has been found strung in an area it shouldn't be in.

On Friday the barrier was found in the Pretty River forest tract in the Town of the Blue Mountains, leading Grey County to asking trail users to be extra vigilant.
Entrances to the tract are located on the Osprey Blue Mountains Town Line and on the 4th Line in the Blue Mountains.

The barrier was removed before anyone was injured and the OPP are investigating, it said in a news release from the county.
Anyone who notices suspicious activity is asked to call the OPP and to notify the county. 

The OPP recently issued a warning to whoever was responsible for stringing barbed wires across some entrances to Crown land in Grey Highlands.

On Jan. 22, Grey County OPP were notified that someone had erected a single strand of barbed wire across four separate entrances to Crown land near Grey Rd. 31 and Road 37D.
Police told those responsible not to do it again or they could be charged with a criminal offence and would open themselves to civil action. 
 While no injuries were reported in that instance either, the act could have easily resulted in serious injury or death to snowmobile operators riding at high speeds or at night, police said.

Police also found illegal signs posted at each entrance stating "Snowmobile Trails Closed. Snowmobiles Stay off to Avoid Prosecution. Caution Beware of Wire Barriers on Closed Trails. .. Rob Roy LOA, 27 December 2015."

Anyone with information can call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Wait, what?

Police told them?

Sounds like a direct conversation, not a public statement.

If they know who it was, here's me thinking more could have been done.

I think that would be similar to planting an IED, and if nobody got hurt, the idiot was chastised instead of incarcerated.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is there not thinking of what could happen .distrurbing[/quote
Wait, what?

Police told them?

Sounds like a direct conversation, not a public statement.

If they know who it was, here's me thinking more could have been done.

I think that would be similar to planting an IED, and if nobody got hurt, the idiot was chastised instead of incarcerated.

I think it was more of a public statement. Maybe somebody could call the grey county opp and find out more details...

Archived