IDLER CAPS

ToSlow

This yr i ended up putting on all new wheels on my apex, i was wondering if they make the end caps for them to cover the nuts

Hey Luck. I just took a look at my '16 LE with the new Single Shot suspension. The front, outside idlers are covered with a cap. It might be worth while asking your dealer whether the wheels are the same size as previous years and if the cap is available as a stand alone SKU. 

Get caps saves the bearings.

Get caps saves the bearings.

Yup.  Keeps the snow out (snow turns to water) and saves them from premature wear due to corrosion and water intrusion.  Most bearings I change at work are due to no caps on the wheels.

This yr i was wondering if they make the end caps for them to cover the nuts

Generally a good idea to keep your nuts covered.

The new idlers (2011 or so and on) have a groove to accept the cap.  You might need to switch the wheels to use the caps.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I have not had a huge problem with the old style idler bearings. 

The new idlers (2011 or so and on) have a groove to accept the cap.  You might need to switch the wheels to use the caps.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I have not had a huge problem with the old style idler bearings.

That is true. They last longer with the caps, but if you have to change wheels, isn't worth it.

Generally a good idea to keep your nuts covered.

I save mine and hide them during the summer to get me through the winter.

I save mine and hide them during the summer to get me through the winter.

Should wear a member sock too, especially if you are cut!

This yr i ended up putting on all new wheels on my apex, i was wondering if they make the end caps for them to cover the nuts

Yes they make the caps,put all new wheels on my two 08 apex and put the caps on.I think they are around $11 or $12 each.

Here they are for the spoked idler wheels..USA price ,but same part number here in Canada.The caps do a good job of keeping the bearings clear of dirt..

post-21237-0-88133900-1451663420_thumb.gif

31 and 49 are same #

Yes they make the caps,put all new wheels on my two 08 apex and put the caps on.I think they are around $11 or $12 each.

were did you pic them?

thanks

were did you pic them?

thanks

Fenelon Falls marina.

I just replaced 2 rough bearings on wheels with the caps. # seasons and 4900 km. Couple of the wheels don't have caps and the bearings were still OK.

I just replaced 2 rough bearings on wheels with the caps. # seasons and 4900 km. Couple of the wheels don't have caps and the bearings were still OK.

i'm not concerned about the bearing, i just think it would be a nicer looking sled with the caps on

Must be the weight of yamaha. My doo has 7500 kms bearings all good, just needed sliders and a rear shock (rode double allot). The caps seem to be doing thier job.

Seeing as the back of the bearing is exposed, I expect the cap is more for appearance than anything else.

Seeing as the back of the bearing is exposed, I expect the cap is more for appearance than anything else.

That is true! Helps when you pressure wash the snowmobile though. Lol! It does make a difference. Have a Polaris with caps 13,000 kms, haven't changed a bearing yet, sliders still good too. Amazing actually.

That is true! Helps when you pressure wash the snowmobile though. Lol! It does make a difference. Have a Polaris with caps 13,000 kms, haven't changed a bearing yet, sliders still good too. Amazing actually.

Truly amazing!

You are gods gift to snowmobiling and really anything snowmobiling related.

Truly amazing!

You are gods gift to snowmobiling and really anything snowmobiling related.

Nahh mostly because my dad rides slow and don't travel down gravel roads much.

Can't speak for other brands, but the Doo has a plastic deflector on the opposite side of the wheel (back side usually), keeps the snow away from the bearing.  

Nahh mostly because my dad rides slow and don't travel down gravel roads much.

Oh, the gravel roads makes a difference? I guess it must be the dust from those roads that screws the bearings. Thanks for your words of whisdom!

truly, the best thing you can doo is, spray the skid, wheels, bearings, and drive shaft, with wd 40 after the ride is over, and the sleds are thawed.

don't wait until the sled is fully dry, you want the snow melted, and parts wet from water... by either washing/rinsing or melted snow. I have been doing this since I have owned my own sleds, and the wheels, bearings, front and rear skids, look like new, no corrosion, and last ALOT LONGER THAN THE AVERAGE SLEDS OUT THERE... and are worth more at resale, due to the cleanliness.  your results may vary. Ski

Archived