Analysis of Club Trail Permits

bbakernbay

The permit is cheap! I just spent 400 on fuel to take two sleds to cochrane, on one trip! I trailered twice this year and rode from home for 5 weeks too. If you take time to see other area's when there is no snow at home, it is amazing value. I seen no shortage of trailers coming to or from the north this winter either.

Time to get a new tow vehicle. JMO.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again we go to a val tag permit all pay. Now for those who wish to opt out so be it. Fill out a form saying you will never use the trail and if you get caught on one you forfeit your snowmobile and pay a hefty fine say minimum a thousand bucks. Your sled goes to auction and the money is split between the Police and the OFSC. Everyone should be happy!

Bet freeloaders would start to think twice about riding the trails with their 17,000 dollar sleds.

Again we go to a val tag permit all pay. Now for those who wish to opt out so be it. Fill out a form saying you will never use the trail and if you get caught on one you forfeit your snowmobile and pay a hefty fine say minimum a thousand bucks. Your sled goes to auction and the money is split between the Police and the OFSC. Everyone should be happy!

Bet freeloaders would start to think twice about riding the trails with their 17,000 dollar sleds.

That would work for me.

just commit to a portion of the taxes that we generate like Quebec does as well as a permit then the system will be well funded and better 

Even if we could get the $15 val tag fee the province collects would be a significant improvement.

To anyone who owns a sled and opposes the trail permit tied to val tag:

By securing ongoing, consistent funding,it enables you THE ACCESS to trails if you so choose. Without ongoing consistent funding, trails close and access for all snowmobilers declines.

I see the solution as a small increase to the basically free val tag, as well as a club pass you voluntarily purchase.

If this occurs I think its mandatory the ofsc reopen the recently closed corridors and maintain them.

If I lived in thunder bay I'd definitely have an issue with buying a pass and not being able to access the trails. JMO

I think the biggest challenge on opening and maintaining trails in some of these more remote areas seems to be a lack of enough volunteers.

To anyone who owns a sled and opposes the trail permit toed to val tag:

By securing ongoing, consistent funding,it enables you THE ACCESS to trails if you so choose. Without ongoing consistent funding, trails close and access for all snowmobilers declines.

I see the solution as a small increase to the basically free val tag, as well as a club pass you voluntarily purchase.

If this occurs I think its mandatory the ofsc reopen the recently closed corridors and maintain them.

If I lived in thunder bay I'd definitely have an issue with buying a pass and not being able to access the trails. JMO

Exactly. Unfortunately, there is no club to reopen the trail, and not enough interest to reform a club.

he has a long trip .

809 Km's one way!

Time to get a new tow vehicle. JMO.

Tow vechicle only has 34,000kms. So no new one yet, maybe next year. No truck except the diesels get decent mileage while towing. These new higher enclosed trailers don't help with fuel economy either. I should have got a longer narrower trailer with a v nose front. That would help too.

Tow vechicle only has 34,000kms. So no new one yet, maybe next year. No truck except the diesels get decent mileage while towing. These new higher enclosed trailers don't help with fuel economy either. I should have got a longer narrower trailer with a v nose front. That would help too.

I strongly dislike my vee nose except behind the 04 with a large cap when the wind hits the one side harder than the other life gets too interesting

My enclosed two sled trailer with a ramp actually gives me worse fuel consumption on the truck than my 5000 lb. boat does simply because of the width the height and the front end wind drag. There is something to be said for the new two sled one behind the other trailers with the narrower profile however it would take a fair bit of driving for me to offset the added cost of the longer narrower trailer. It would also be harder to back it in where I do.

true it has become a take advantage of the trails weekend 

Yet Manitoba, NY and a couple other states are now going to have free weekends next year

Sorta like the free fishing weekends

maybe have it the weekend before family day weekend if some are scared of the extra sleds

Personnaly I have ridden on this free weekend, in the Sudbury area, really did not feel there was anymore sleds on the trails as usual

Personnaly I have ridden on this free weekend, in the Sudbury area, really did not feel there was anymore sleds on the trails as usual

Last time I was in Azilda that weekend it was chaos I do believe we need to promote snowmobiling atleast to lessen the snowmobilers all drink and ride theory.

Yet Manitoba, NY and a couple other states are now going to have free weekends next year

Sorta like the free fishing weekends

maybe have it the weekend before family day weekend if some are scared of the extra sleds

Totally agree it should be a different weekend....

As for the busy part on the family day weekend its crazy in Halliburton,Dorset area.  I think it generates a ton of money for resorts and restaurants though which is good.  I think that if it was on a different weekend there may not be as much interest in it.  But i highly doubt it!!!!!  

This is two years in a row I know people personally who have taken advantage of the free weekend and bought early season permits the next year. This weekend I was talking with my cousins husband. He borrowed a sled off a family member and rode some fields around the binbrook area with some friends. None of his riding buddies buy permits, they just ride fields.(no trails around them) this year they decided to give the free weekend a try and had absolutely no idea the scale of the ofsc trails. His only complaint, he wasn't dressed for the brutal cold temps that weekend. So, next year... New gear, hopefully newer sled, trailer and two new permit purchasers. The free weekend works, simple as that. Maybe not for people surrounded by trails, but for people in SW ontario who may be within an hour or so drive to trails. It's just enough incentive to get people out on trails and out of fields.

I am also more than 100% in favour of the free Try Our Trails Weekend.   It has proven successful. 

I'd just like to see it on another weekend....a little earlier in the year where there is an increased likelihood of them buying a permit for that season

So let me do some math on the 15 dollar val tag fee … so some of you want to assume that the Government will take a certain percentage of the $15 license fee that is paid by snowmachine owners every three years . (so actually equivalent of $5 per year per sled )

Now lets assume it costs the Government 75% of the fee for the wages and paperwork to do the license. So at most any profit they are getting to give out (or keep in Government budget) is $3.75 every three years or $1.23 per year. So at most they would give up is maybe the equivalent of $1.23 per license year per sled per year.

So according to OFSC documents (OFSC report 2014 GSM Vol7#1_Web Edit Oct 2014) that 145,000 Snowmachines are licensed (including utility, farmers , everyone) that means you would get $178,000 from MTO per year maybe . Seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the budgeted needs of OFSC , and to get it would require giving more control over to MTO. ………..and for that $178,000 you would be pissing off  44,000 riders (the OFSc number of non OFSC trail riders) Well maybe not that many but lets say of those 44,000 riders that don’t get trail passes that 70% are in the north so 30,000 pissed off riders that now are told their license is no longer free so that some of the funds can go to OFSC and Government can cover their admin costs.  

All this so that the 100,000 trail pass riders do not need to pay an additional $1.78 per year more for their trail pass ($1.78 x 100,000 riders = the $178,000) if system was left as it is to gain the same $178,000 increase. So one cup of coffee less per trail rider put towards their trail pass would equal the same amount the MTO can probably scratch up from the $15 val tag fee.  Seems to me that it would be better argument to approach the Government for your percentage of the gas taxes you pay to run snowmachines instead.

So let me do some math on the 15 dollar val tag fee … so some of you want to assume that the Government will take a certain percentage of the $15 license fee that is paid by snowmachine owners every three years . (so actually equivalent of $5 per year per sled )

Now lets assume it costs the Government 75% of the fee for the wages and paperwork to do the license. So at most any profit they are getting to give out (or keep in Government budget) is $3.75 every three years or $1.23 per year. So at most they would give up is maybe the equivalent of $1.23 per license year per sled per year.

So according to OFSC documents (OFSC report 2014 GSM Vol7#1_Web Edit Oct 2014) that 145,000 Snowmachines are licensed (including utility, farmers , everyone) that means you would get $178,000 from MTO per year maybe . Seems like a drop in the bucket compared to the budgeted needs of OFSC , and to get it would require giving more control over to MTO. ………..and for that $178,000 you would be pissing off  44,000 riders (the OFSc number of non OFSC trail riders) Well maybe not that many but lets say of those 44,000 riders that don’t get trail passes that 70% are in the north so 30,000 pissed off riders that now are told their license is no longer free so that some of the funds can go to OFSC and Government can cover their admin costs.  

All this so that the 100,000 trail pass riders do not need to pay an additional $1.78 per year more for their trail pass ($1.78 x 100,000 riders = the $178,000) if system was left as it is to gain the same $178,000 increase. So one cup of coffee less per trail rider put towards their trail pass would equal the same amount the MTO can probably scratch up from the $15 val tag fee.  Seems to me that it would be better argument to approach the Government for your percentage of the gas taxes you pay to run snowmachines instead.

Your math is flawed from the beginning. It is not $15 every 3 years. It is $15 every year.

I'd just like to see it on another weekend....a little earlier in the year where there is an increased likelihood of them buying a permit for that season

definitely a valid point.   Family day does, however, put the focus on recreational snowmobiling as a family past time which is nice.   Also, it is working as is, and I always agree with the statement "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Your math is flawed from the beginning. It is not $15 every 3 years. It is $15 every year.

Thanks for correction.....MTO site is very vague about how many years tag is valid for...........so my math times three is still the equivalent of three coffees being added to the OFSC pot per trail rider. ...not very much

but also panther... with your math...178,000 times 3 (per year), is more than a drop in the bucket. that would buy 2 new fleet groomers, or allow clubs and districts in the near north with late season snows, to continue grooming longer than their club funds would normally allow, per year.

we all need to look at the big picture. Ski

Archived