Fines for no permit

Sasquatch777

We too have crown land lup's and we have successfully prosecuted trail passes on them.

Not trying to stir the pot but were they contested? Just curious because we have some no winter maintenance roads that are staked. There are a small handful of freeloaders that figure they are allowed on them. My understanding is you need a pass if the road is staked.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to stir the pot but were they contested? Just curious because we have some no winter maintenance roads that are staked. There are a small handful of freeloaders that figure they are allowed on them. My understanding is you need a pass if the road is staked.

some of the questions that come to mind

is it a private road or a municipal road

do you have a LUP for it

No winter maintenance roads sadly are fair game for whomever in my opinion. We have the winter hunters that drive these roads as long as possible and there is nothing we can do about it.

No winter maintenance roads sadly are fair game for whomever in my opinion. We have the winter hunters that drive these roads as long as possible and there is nothing we can do about it.

Some of the roads in our area are not municipal roads. They are private roads owned and maintained by the cottage owners, often as a cottage association. They would be private property and no different from running a trail across any other private property with a LUP where access requires a TP. I can see where a municipal road would be one that would be accessable without a TP unless of course the township who own and maintain that road indicate it closed and sign a LUP.

We went to the twp & got lups signed so the roads are deemed trail in winter, worked for us?

We were told at our district meeting that the province would be changing the set fines for no permits for the 2016 season to $400.00

We were told at our district meeting that the province would be changing the set fines for no permits for the 2016 season to $400.00

That would be nice!  However, I am skeptical on the accuracy of that.  I suspect, and I mean no disrespect, that there is a misunderstanding between the motion that was passed at AGM to ask the MTO to allow a new permit type for 'on trail' sales at $400, and actually changing the fine.

I hope I am wrong.

That would be nice!  However, I am skeptical on the accuracy of that.  I suspect, and I mean no disrespect, that there is a misunderstanding between the motion that was passed at AGM to ask the MTO to allow a new permit type for 'on trail' sales at $400, and actually changing the fine.

I hope I am wrong.

I recall the motion that passed as you do sledjunk... a new permit type which would be a trailside permit at $400 be recommended to the MTO

So how much is generated annually by fining those without a valid permit?  How much does enforcement cost?  Why not charge them for 2 years worth of permits at the highest rate and let them have permits for 2 years? 

Where would the fine money go?

The fines and enforcement are a deterrent.  The fine needs to be significant enough to encourage compliance.

If the fine for not having a permit was $10,000, compliance would not be an issue.  The revenue for province would be $0-$10,000, cause there is always one idiot out there.

I believe they try to balance out the fines to encourage people to try their luck as that is more revenue to the province.  If speeding fines were too high, we wouldn't speed.  Then how would they pay for their pensions?

The province may likely go for the $400.  If you make too high, then the enforcement officials will be hesitant to lay the charge.

Who pays the expenses for enforcement?

If its the OPP, the province.

the province

It would benefit the OFSC if the fines were shared. Just saying.

The fines and enforcement are a deterrent.  The fine needs to be significant enough to encourage compliance.

If the fine for not having a permit was $10,000, compliance would not be an issue.  The revenue for province would be $0-$10,000, cause there is always one idiot out there.

I believe they try to balance out the fines to encourage people to try their luck as that is more revenue to the province.  If speeding fines were too high, we wouldn't speed.  Then how would they pay for their pensions?

The province may likely go for the $400.  If you make too high, then the enforcement officials will be hesitant to lay the charge.

I completely agree! Impound their sled too!

It would benefit the OFSC if the fines were shared. Just saying.

I completely agree! Impound their sled too!

Like you said, impound the sled. Something like the game wardens have the power to do with poachers or over limit catches.  and let the court decide if and when you get your property back. Impound the sled and let the court decide if and when you get it back. Odds are you won't even get to court until summer so that would end that season for sure and possibly more. Strong deterrent

Impounding really? All thats gonna do is make people run.

Poaching wildlife is a completly different problem then trespassing

Get the sled impounded once and you'll never do it again.... you do realize that having too many fish or fish out of season can get your truck, boat and trailer impounded... they are indeed different but stealing from the volunteers is not something to sluff off like some do.

Are you suggesting that only sledders would run if caught but people wouldn't run from the game warden perhaps on their ATV or boat for breaking the law

Absolutely! If they don't pay the fine the sled goes to auction!

Yup sleds whole lot faster than boats or atvs why invite a dangerous situation

So is it trespassing or stealing got to be one or the other

its being a$$holes cause they think it is smart

No doubt bill. But can make all the rules and fines you want still need the enforcement no just a check stop on a rail trail saturday afternoon.

Archived