Fines for no permit

Sasquatch777

By virtue of the registration number, you can verify the owner.  Now you just have to prove that the sled was on the trail and where.  A timestamped photo of the GPS screen and the sled should be pretty solid evidence

This is incorrect according to our local OPP Snowmobile Officer.

Trail Patroller needs to be able to positively identify the Operator of the snowmobile. Sled Reg Number doesn't do anything.

He said he phoned the two owners to let them know they were reported but he couldn't lay charges without a positive physical ID.

These two guys wouldn't take helmets off.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting

This is incorrect according to our local OPP Snowmobile Officer.

Trail Patroller needs to be able to positively identify the Operator of the snowmobile. Sled Reg Number doesn't do anything.

He said he phoned the two owners to let them know they were reported but he couldn't lay charges without a positive physical ID.

These two guys wouldn't take helmets off.

Sometimes, I wish that the officers would actually READ the acts and maybe TRY to help us out.  Of course, this would assume that the higher levels are truly interested in partnering with the OFSC and the clubs. :angry-smiley-005: :angry-smiley-005: :angry-smiley-005:

Trespass to Property Act

Motor vehicles and motorized snow vehicles
11.  Where an offence under this Act is committed by means of a motor vehicle, as defined in the Highway Traffic Act, or
by means of a motorized snow vehicle, as defined in the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act, the driver of the motor vehicle or
motorized snow vehicle is liable to the fine provided under this Act and, where the driver is not the owner, the owner of

the motor vehicle or motorized snow vehicle is liable to the fine provided under this Act unless the driver is convicted of the
offence
or, at the time the offence was committed, the motor vehicle or motorized snow vehicle was in the possession of a  
person other than the owner without the owner’s consent.  2000, c. 30, s. 11.

Owner may be convicted

24.  The owner of a motorized snow vehicle may be charged with and convicted of an offence under this Act or the regulations or any municipal by-law regulating, governing or prohibiting the operation of motorized snow vehicles, for which the driver of the motorized snow vehicle is subject to be charged unless, at the time of the offence, the motorized snow vehicle was in the possession of a person other than the owner without the owner’s consent and on conviction the owner is liable to the penalty prescribed for the offence. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 24.

I'm not talking about Trespass Act, I'm concerned about Motorized Snow Vehicle Act and the matter of operating on OFSC trails without a valid Trail Permit.

If they don't have a permit and are on private property then owner can be nailed. That's good news for the south where there is more private property a little more difficult in the north.

If they don't have a permit and are on private property then owner can be nailed. That's good news for the south where there is more private property a little more difficult in the north.

How so? OFSC prescribed trail, no permit, charge either driver or owner. Sadly this is where Trail Patrol doesn't have the authority to "demand " driver licence, hench "drive on!" Take the pic, submit it to the OPP Liason Officer and see what happens.

!

We did exactly what you suggested including photos of sled and Reg Number. location, date and time.

Our very experienced OPP Snowmobile Officer said sorry, without us being able to positively identify the Operators in Court, he would not lay Charge, which I can fully understand.

He said he followed up with both on telephone which we appreciated.

Brian. Trail Patrollers do not lay charges, they can't. Its up to the OPP officers to file the charge and call the Patrol as a witness. Sorry but maybe the officer, with upmost respect, should re-read the act, or fall back on the TPA.

What was his error?

We couldn't identify the Operators as he required us to do and which I agree with him.

They were on crown Land, not private property.

I know TP's can't lay charges for MVSA, that is my point.

The Ontario government needs to amend the MVSA in whatever way necessary to ensure the Freeloaders don't become more frequent than presently exists.

The present system is not working.

He should have been able to charge the owner as that is traceable through the reg #

He should have been able to charge the owner as that is traceable through the reg #

Exactly.... they sometimes don't know every little part of the act

IIRC, on the back of the Notice of Trespass, it states something to the effect that trails on crown land are covered and the OFSC club is considered an agent for the Crown.

I don't have the form handy so I can't quote it.

Sounds like a very broken way of doing things :(

OPP will not charge on crown land here. Its why we always set up on private land!

How much is generated by fines?  Double it, triple it; will it make enough of a difference to matter?  Is it just about feeling because we got them now?  I know that some who use the trails use them for working/surviving purposes, I say let them.  If you're a rebel, weekend warrior; throw the book at them if you can.

How much is generated by fines?  Double it, triple it; will it make enough of a difference to matter?  Is it just about feeling because we got them now?  I know that some who use the trails use them for working/surviving purposes, I say let them.  If you're a rebel, weekend warrior; throw the book at them if you can.

That's not how the justice system was designed to works.

I repeat, they were on Crown Land, not private property.

We have a section of trail on crown land. Special permission was required with no other motorized vehicles allowed. Our club are to act as agents for the crown and you must have a valid trail permit to access.

Gates open and closed at beginning and end of season. We also have a lease agreement to have a Bailey bridge in place. Thankfully at a very resonable cost.....

We have a section of trail on crown land. Special permission was required with no other motorized vehicles allowed. Our club are to act as agents for the crown and you must have a valid trail permit to access.

Gates open and closed at beginning and end of season. We also have a lease agreement to have a Bailey bridge in place. Thankfully at a very resonable cost.....

Do you have a LUP for crown land Yukon? We don't have any crown land but every piece of municipal property we cross we have LUP's and the MSVA is enforceable.

On a slightly different track, I suspect that a good percentage of those without permits also don't have any current registration or active insurance?....................

Do you have a LUP for crown land Yukon? We don't have any crown land but every piece of municipal property we cross we have LUP's and the MSVA is enforceable.

Yes for the parcel of land and the bailey bridge. We have to gate the entrances and barricade the bridge in the off season. Take pictures with time stamp and send to MNR.

We too have crown land lup's and we have successfully prosecuted trail passes on them.

Archived