Six Mile Lake Tornado

Canuck

Just a quick update on that tornado that swept through the northeast part of Six Mile Lake.

We weren't up Friday, but the tornado swept through 2 lots to the north. When we arrived Saturday, Yukon (and his awesome friend!) and the ever helpful Brian had cleared the logs blocking the driveway and were cutting limbs off trees that fell onto our lot. Our hydro pole folded like a toothpick and the canopy of trees on our neighbours northern property was gone. Blue sky where 60' trees once stood. 

My car was on the road and later that day a father and son came by asking me to move it. As we walked, he explained that they (wife and him) were swimming and saw the storm clouds sweep over the channel. Followed by high winds. Kids were in the cottage.  Parents tried to hide behind boathouse....and the boathouse started to rise in the air! They thought it was over, and then a tree fell on the boathouse, pinning it to shore.  Winds subsided and they ran to the cottage.

Hydro has a local crew of 30 supplemented by an additional 40 from around the province. Helicopters were flying in poles until sunset. Ontario Hydro has been incredible. Working hard and keeping everyone informed (at least if you're onsite).

Still trying to gather thoughts and photos.

One thing I will add is that our club's trails will likely have more fallen trees than in years past. If you hear of a "trail work" day for Baxter Snow Riders this fall, consider heading up to Port Severn and joining us.

Thanks again Yukon and Brian.  

Glad nobody was hurt! Our woodlot south of Apsley got whacked back in '06. I'm sure glad we didn't have any structures down there. Mother Nature can make a bigger mess than loggers can. 

Wow!  Glad everyone is OK.

Wow,  sounds much worse than what I thought was reported.   Glad nobody was hurt.

We will send you photos when we are home Canuck.

Enviroment Canada has said the cause was from Straight line winds 90-120km/hr. However I still think it was a Tornado, the winds lifted a boathouse!

In any event glad to help a friend in need.

glad no one was hurt

Myself and the team went through that a few years back with trail 204.Not fun.

Well Friday night we got hit at home.Same path as the one in 1995.We are starting to clean up a giant maple that took out the hydro lines,lost many other trees,took the roof off one shed and totally destroyed another shedand moved it about 50 metres.I am getting to hate wind especially after getting caught in a waterspout last year while at achor.

It seems that Environment Canada has confirmed Udney had an F1 Tornado but Six Mile Lake which they kept referring to as Port Severn was down bursts. The rains and winds were incredible but distinct in their path. Just a few miles south of where Canuck is at the south end of Little Lake the winds were strong and the rains heavy but not as devastating as where he is. Moral of the story... don't mess with mother nature... you will lose. The good news. Baxter Snow Riders are mid way through the construction of our new groomer storage building. With only walls that were braced in place and the abscence of a roof or trusses it might have fallen victim but didn't.  

Glad everyone is ok saw some photos on FB, your a good man Mr Yukon no matter what Nutter says about ya, lmao

We rode thru the mess along TOP D near Astorville on our RAN tour last winter. Couldn't believe ther scope of the damage there from the July '13 storm. It hit Callander & Mattawa.

X2...

glad nobody was hurt

Lots of people will have lots of firewood

There's always an upside. :-P

Not much good if it's pine though.

Not much good if it's pine though.

good for those campfires at the end of the day if not for heating your home or cottage

1. Rode thru that area on Friday Night on my summer sled.... got a little wet and got pretty eerie looking.

1. Rode thru that area on Friday Night on my summer sled.... got a little wet and got pretty eerie looking.

Around 6:00 - 6:30 PM got so dark in 5 mins you would have thought it was 8:30 PM. Wildest looking clouds I have seen in a long time.

Bonfires @ Canuck's next summer. Pine, poplar..great for bonfires.

Oak logs went to a friend who heats his home with firewood.

Yukon's better half said that the clouds had a greenish hue. Gonna ask her if it was Arctic Cat green, cause those things are a nightmare comin' at you.

Yukon's better half said that the clouds had a greenish hue. Gonna ask her if it was Arctic Cat green, cause those things are a nightmare comin' at you.

Says the guy who rides a blue 'Cat :poke2:

why wait for next summer.... fall is a great time for a fire on a cool evening.... to sit by the fire you have to haul a log or two or split a log or two

I haven't had time to head out on atv to check them out. We're putting together a fall work schedule -- that section will be at the top of the list.

Archived