Seguin / OPP

NiagaraKev

Well...we fueled up in Sprucedale and headed towards the 95 ....

Radar trap....OPP hiding in the bush ....( on a rail trail)

Two speeding tickets written .. How did they catch both sleds on one radar gun ?

One of the cops..a Mr. Bowe..was an a-ho...total prick.

Tried to accuse me of riding with my helmet undone...I had just undone it to take my helmet off to get him my paperwork.

Lots of sleds at the Sprucedale Hilton...hope the guys drinking beer headed the otherway....

We had a cool one in Kearney.

So...thoughts ? Yes ..we were breaking the 50kmh speed limit...( think they said we were doing 87 ..never got to see the radar )

Who can honestly say you never never exceeded 50 kmh on an OFSC trail..let alone a rail bed.

The sad thing is ...I will never sled in that area again ...hurts the local businesses but I feel they officers were unreasonable.

I have been riding fast for the last 28 years...first ticket..

Whats next ?? Hiding behind islands and nailing you on the lake ??

Frustrating...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we got dinged in the same area 1 month ago , said we were speeding and helmut not done up . 110 bucks later we were on our way ,still will ride there but not on our fav list

I would fight it ( even misspelled my city ) but it means a drive up to Parry Sound.

I should have got on the cel and called the Sprucedale Hotel to give everyone a heads up.

If they had have been even remotely pleasant I'm sure my buddy and I would have accepted it and went on our way.

Or maybe just ticket the leader and go from there ....

Oh well...great 650km weekend ..  :)

I would fight it ( even misspelled my city ) but it means a drive up to Parry Sound.

I should have got on the cel and called the Sprucedale Hotel to give everyone a heads up.

If they had have been even remotely pleasant I'm sure my buddy and I would have accepted it and went on our way.

Oh well...great 650km weekend ..   :)

these guys need to be challenged

Two speeding tickets written .. How did they catch both sleds on one radar gun ?

Tried to accuse me of riding with my helmet undone...I had just undone it to take my helmet off to get him my paperwork.

Lots of sleds at the Sprucedale Hilton...hope the guys drinking beer headed the otherway....

So...thoughts ? Yes ..we were breaking the 50kmh speed limit...( think they said we were doing 87 ..never got to see the radar )

Who can honestly say you never never exceeded 50 kmh on an OFSC trail..let alone a rail bed.

The sad thing is ...I will never sled in that area again ...hurts the local businesses but I feel they officers were unreasonable.

Frustrating...

That's funny I got charged also a couple of weeks ago and they said I was doing 87 kmh. Is that a general number they are using? Hmmm?

Frustrating...

What did 37kph over the limit cost?

The cops in our area have been very reasonable this year. It is a set fine for doing 51 kph- infinity. If your going to get dinged boys may as well use it as a radar run;)

Oh well...great 650km weekend ..   :)

Wildbill is right. These guys have to be challenged! No way they can get 2 guys at the SAME speed in one go, unless it was laser. Both guys at the same speed? Highly unlikely.They will keep fishing the same spot until the fish run out.and because no sledders want to be inconvenienced by having to return to the region to fight it, the hits just keep coming. Those O Dot dickheads need a smack down, and need it bad. They are sucking the life out of the sport! Your case sounds like they have nothing to lose and they are laughing at all the suckers that just keep paying. It will probably get to the point where they don't even turn their equipment on!

Check the back of your ticket

If your more than 75km away from where you were ticketed, you can talk to the prosecutor by phone and no in person interview is required.

Might just work.

Frustrating...

do not use the defense " I have been riding fast for 28 years....".I know what you mean but sounds funny....

I have been pinched on a few occasions around sprucedale on the seguin. Learned what areas to slow down and watch my speed more closely.

We should jam that trail with a thousand sledders, all doing 49 kph, chin straps adjusted, and ALL stopping for a friendly chat with the ODots. In the interest of safety, of course.

The set fine is 110 dollars...

If what SNOHAWK says is true..I may just fight it

yrs ago when i got pinched the cop handed me around $550 worth of tickets,i went to parry sound & judge dropped fine down to $ 150...teribble cops go out of their way to hand out fines

yrs ago when i got pinched the cop handed me around $550 worth of tickets,i went to parry sound & judge dropped fine down to $ 150...teribble cops go out of their way to hand out fines

... and sledders are easy pickin's.

The set fine is 110 dollars...

If what SNOHAWK says is true..I may just fight it

I hope you do NiagaraKev, your isn't the first complaint from this area.  I have heard of officers physically checking the tightness of helmet straps with their own fingers.

All I can say is that if anyone puts their hand near mine or my fiancee's throat they are going down, officer or not. 

how could we get speed limit on railbeds raised to 70 kph,thats a safe speed ?

... and sledders are easy pickin's.

They sure are, like shooting fish in a barrel.  Sitting on a railbed with a radar gun does nothing to help with the aggressive superstars that don't slow down when approaching other sleds or otherwise not staying on their own side.

You got that right. We were almost hit 3 different times this weekend by these `superstars`blasting along at high speed in the wrong lane!!! I swear I heard a ski click one of the times.

I think I`m going to weld a cow catcher on the front then slug down a few trails and see what we can catch  lol

Not a cop to be seen anywhere

We have a couple of them around Palmerston/ Teviotdale that are the same way, just out there to because it is a cash cow. Safety is the furthest thing from their minds.

I bet they are not sitting out there when its 20 below ..

what we need to do is have someone put up a "speed trap " sign just out side of Sprucedale...

The speed limits in Ontario are ridiculously low, but they are the legal limits, and until you change the law you're breaking it. And you've had 28 years of "free" speeding, without getting caught. You broke the law. Pay the speeding "fee" and move on. 

BTW, minor errors on a summons are not grounds for dismissing the charge.  If you raise them as a defence, the judge will ignore the errors or amend the details.  

For those saying he should fight this, just what defence do you suggest?

Archived