Seguin / OPP

NiagaraKev

The speed limits in Ontario are ridiculously low, but they are the legal limits, and until you change the law you're breaking it. And you've had 28 years of "free" speeding, without getting caught. You broke the law. Pay the speeding "fee" and move on. 

BTW, minor errors on a summons are not grounds for dismissing the charge.  If you raise them as a defence, the judge will ignore the errors or amend the details.  

For those saying he should fight this, just what defence do you suggest?

How was the officer able to distinguish which sled was "speeding"?  The radar gun will only pick up one of the sleds, so the cop was making an assumption that both are speeding without a number on the gun to prove his assumption.

The "pay the fine, do the crime do the time" and "they have a job to do" attitudes are part of the reason why we have the nanny state we have in this province, IMHO. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would fight it you wil win and at the same time teach these guys a lesson. Every bully needs to be stood up to even one with a badge

Using what defence?

I have been pinched on a few occasions around sprucedale on the seguin. Learned what areas to slow down and watch my speed more closely.

Exactly.  I still go there, just not as much anymore.  

that is the shame they are not out where they can make a difference just where they can make numbers

Agreed

The speed limits in Ontario are ridiculously low, but they are the legal limits, and until you change the law you're breaking it. And you've had 28 years of "free" speeding, without getting caught. You broke the law. Pay the speeding "fee" and move on. 

BTW, minor errors on a summons are not grounds for dismissing the charge.  If you raise them as a defence, the judge will ignore the errors or amend the details.  

For those saying he should fight this, just what defence do you suggest?

On the bold, that is exactly my thoughts when I get pulled over..  If I get caught, I pay the fine and shut up and ride on.

After reading what everyone says I will go back to another post about the OPP.  They are people too.  Some are just doing their job and enjoy the public, and are out there for everyones safety, than there are OPP's (a few) which have a badge and really want to show it.  I have been pulled over many times for speeding, paperwork or just a check for alcohol and everytime except once they were all just doing their job and really nice.  No tickets issued btw.  Knock on wood!!!    I actually have a lot of fun with them.  There is an a$$ in every type of employment and unfortunately NiagaraKev you hit the a$$ that day for the OPP.  Sorry bud, but pay the fine and move on.  Not worth getting all worked up over.

They say that they caught two nsleds at the same time same speed with one gun ?I doubt it and the judge will too

Good luck with that.

it is doing our area damage and until someone stands up to them and beats them the more this happens it gives us a lever to deal with the targeting

Absolutely. You have a blight in your area that needs to be dealt with. The tickets in this thread should be fought and could be won. A technical challenge needs to be made. How can you get 2 guys with one sweep? How can both guys be going exactly the same speed? When was the radar calibrated? Who was the lead sled? ( in the police report) I would request that the officer divulge his report notes. I'll bet that just on procedures alone, the officers are in error. Like I mentioned before, if enough guys just showed a little backbone and resist, the BS level would diminish.

Every long weekend, there are RADAR and LIDAR traps on the 400 series highways. Do you get all indignant about those "bullies" "targeting" that area, hurting the local business? They also check seatbelts when they stop you. Do you threaten to drop them if they get too close to your car? 

The problem is not the enforcement. The problem lies in the Act and in the Regulations. If you want to stand up and fight someone, focus on the problem, not a symptom. You have to change the regulations to permit more reasonable speed limits. Anything else is just posturing that can never be successful. 

If you really love the speed you have 3 options:

1 - accept the fact that speeding on trails can cost you money if you get caught,

2 - stick to the lakes and private property, or

3 - convince the rest of the province that it's OK for you to travel at whatever speed you like, when and where you like.  

Personally, I use a mix of option 1 and 2. 

Exactly.  I still go there, just not as much anymore.  

Agreed

On the bold, that is exactly my thoughts when I get pulled over..  If I get caught, I pay the fine and shut up and ride on.

After reading what everyone says I will go back to another post about the OPP.  They are people too.  Some are just doing their job and enjoy the public, and are out there for everyones safety, than there are OPP's (a few) which have a badge and really want to show it.  I have been pulled over many times for speeding, paperwork or just a check for alcohol and everytime except once they were all just doing their job and really nice.  No tickets issued btw.  Knock on wood!!!    I actually have a lot of fun with them.  There is an a$$ in every type of employment and unfortunately NiagaraKev you hit the a$$ that day for the OPP.  Sorry bud, but pay the fine and move on.  Not worth getting all worked up over.

Like you pointed out... typically they are people doing a job. Maybe they just had a bunch of people they stopped that would have likely gotten off with a warning giving them attitude. After a while they say... heck with it.... they aren't civil with me... they're getting a ticket. One of my nieghbours at the lake worked for Toronto police then OPP. He told me many a time he would pull someone over with the full intention of giving them a warning and when he walked up they gave him a whole lot of attitude. At that point he changes his mind and they get the ticket. I remeber one was a pulled a guy over to tell him a brake light was out and he should get it fixed... before he says a word the guy tears into him about chasing real criminals instead of hassling people. He got a ticket.

Funny you say that theedge.I saw 2 OPP officers on sleds on the weekend in that area.They didn't even have trail permits on there sleds ???

of course they didn't have trail permits ..they are " the man" ...above the law....

of course their cars have license plates

I would bet they go over 50kmh heading out to the " hiding spot "

Anyhow...sorry Sprucedale..I will be avoiding you

We were in that area last weekend and got stopped twice, no radar but they were checking trail passes and helmet straps. For that I have no issues, hearing all this about the radar traps on the sequin makes me sick,.....

Every long weekend, there are RADAR and LIDAR traps on the 400 series highways. Do you get all indignant about those "bullies" "targeting" that area, hurting the local business? They also check seatbelts when they stop you. Do you threaten to drop them if they get too close to your car? 

& every wk-day & wk-end there is major pile ups,so what their doing isn't really solving ''the 400 series'' problems.rather a cash grab & display of force...i have nothing against cops but if they what sit in a certain area & do radar all day...put freakin radar camera there...pic of sled,val tag,trail pass,chin strap etc

The problem is not the enforcement. The problem lies in the Act and in the Regulations. If you want to stand up and fight someone, focus on the problem, not a symptom. You have to change the regulations to permit more reasonable speed limits. Anything else is just posturing that can never be successful. 

If you really love the speed you have 3 options:

1 - accept the fact that speeding on trails can cost you money if you get caught,

2 - stick to the lakes and private property, or

3 - convince the rest of the province that it's OK for you to travel at whatever speed you like, when and where you like.  

Personally, I use a mix of option 1 and 2. 

So why dont they ticket everyone over 100 k on the 400 series highways? 

Personally I try to avoid the seguin altogether. I don't get up to the area often but when I do it's not on there... Always radar and if you don't get down it by noon it's mogul city. More remote areas are better to ride on anyways

Absolutely. You have a blight in your area that needs to be dealt with. The tickets in this thread should be fought and could be won. A technical challenge needs to be made. How can you get 2 guys with one sweep? How can both guys be going exactly the same speed? When was the radar calibrated? Who was the lead sled? ( in the police report) I would request that the officer divulge his report notes. I'll bet that just on procedures alone, the officers are in error. Like I mentioned before, if enough guys just showed a little backbone and resist, the BS level would diminish.

I don't think the cops have to prove any exact speed only that they are exceeding the 50kph limit as there is only one fine for speeding. If they catch the lead sled at 87kph then the second sled travelling with him is also over 50kph. I have heard of cops eyeballing sleds and making a claim in their professional judgement that the sleds are travelling over the 50kph limit. You could try to fight it but the chances of success are slim to nothing.

I don't think the cops have to prove any exact speed only that they are exceeding the 50kph limit as there is only one fine for speeding. If they catch the lead sled at 87kph then the second sled travelling with him is also over 50kph. I have heard of cops eyeballing sleds and making a claim in their professional judgement that the sleds are travelling over the 50kph limit. You could try to fight it but the chances of success are slim to nothing.

???? That's total BS. Yes, the cops have to provide EXACT data that will hold up in court. What fantasy land do you live in ?

They make boat loads of $$$$$ on that trail

When I rode down there about 10yrs ago they had quite few people nailed

It is like shooting fish in a barrel

I know a couple older gentlemen that quit riding on that trail due to the cops

They make boat loads of $$$$$ on that trail

When I rode down there about 10yrs ago they had quite few people nailed

It is like shooting fish in a barrel

I know a couple older gentlemen that quit riding on that trail due to the cops

and this is damageing our areas economy

it is doing our area damage and until someone stands up to them and beats them the more this happens it gives us a lever to deal with the targeting

Damage has been happening for 2 decades plus yet people still ride there

It's like the 401 down there never seen so many sleds in one spot

Well...we fueled up in Sprucedale and headed towards the 95 ....

Radar trap....OPP hiding in the bush ....( on a rail trail)

Two speeding tickets written .. How did they catch both sleds on one radar gun ?

One of the cops..a Mr. Bowe..was an a-ho...total prick.

Tried to accuse me of riding with my helmet undone...I had just undone it to take my helmet off to get him my paperwork.

Lots of sleds at the Sprucedale Hilton...hope the guys drinking beer headed the otherway....

We had a cool one in Kearney.

So...thoughts ? Yes ..we were breaking the 50kmh speed limit...( think they said we were doing 87 ..never got to see the radar )

Who can honestly say you never never exceeded 50 kmh on an OFSC trail..let alone a rail bed.

The sad thing is ...I will never sled in that area again ...hurts the local businesses but I feel they officers were unreasonable.

I have been riding fast for the last 28 years...first ticket..

Whats next ?? Hiding behind islands and nailing you on the lake ??

Frustrating...

What time? I went through there around 10:00-10:30, no Cops

???? That's total BS. Yes, the cops have to provide EXACT data that will hold up in court. What fantasy land do you live in ?

If the speed limit is 50 and unlike the roads where the fine changes relative to 10 over, 15 over, 20 over etc. the fine is the same whether you ar 30 over or 70 over on the trail  and you were the judge would you really care? If they were doing 75 in a 50 or 90 in a 50. Over is over. The fine is the same.

Archived