Little Help - Great Ride - Trip Update

AkronOrange

I'm trying to plan a trip starting in Parry Sound.

Parry Sound to ??? to ....

Espanola, Elliott Lake, Chapleau, Hearst, Cochrane then back down C to where we came from.  Having trouble with a good 150-200 mile point from Parry Sound.  Any info anyone could provide about the whole trip would be appreciated,

Thank in advance,

C north out of parry sound has always been a disappointment for me. Consider taking C104D over wahwashkesh then north to Port Loring ( eat at Jakes ) and take C105D back over to C head across bridges north. Try owls nest lodge on trout lake just north of Alban. Should be about 150 mile mark? I forget actual mileage. Good place to stay first night. Good luck.

Might be closer to 200 mi? Others here will know for sure.

How far to Sudbury on "C" trail from Parry Sound?  I couldn't find it on Rev's guide and I'm not too familiar with that area.

Thanks

Akron,

I remember it being about a 160-170 miles to the C/D trail and of course depending where you are coming from and going. If my old memory serves me correct I think it was from the Jolly Roger to a little hotel (guay something) with a restaurant right in front.

Hopefully someone else chimes in for reassurance for you, I remeber it was an easy day ride.

Jim

Thanks for all of the info.  We start the ride on 2/23.

Take the " C " it's a fun twisty hilly trail, gas shouldn't be a problem at all. Point of barill, key river, alban, Nobel. Like wildbill said there's so much snow it's the best it's been in years.

Is that a result of TSSA or the new highway reroute?  Or both?

Rich, I wish I had known about the no gas situation in Alban. Not a big deal really though (105 miles from Port Loring to St. Charles) I'd rather get gas on the trail rather than run into town looking for it. Met the groomer on TOP C Weds' south of the Pickerel River. Chatted w/ the guys for a few minutes about an issue. One of the guys looked like he was hitching a ride to a Pantera or Slayer concert, LOL.

Akron here's the info:

Parry Sound - Alban (on TOP C): 96 miles/155 klicks

Alban - Coniston (on TOP C @ Hwy 17, just east of Chateau Guay & Moonlight motels in Sudbury): 54 miles/87 klicks

Thanks for all the info.  Another question: where are the bridges?  Are they north of Parry Sound?

BTW Rev - The trip from Chapleau - Hearst seems more like 300 miles.  I did it last year, I think it was 320.  I'll confirm it this year.  Your guide says 232.

Trip plan:

Parry Sound - Massey          225 miles

Massey - Chapleau              220 miles

Chapleau - Hearst                300 miles

Hearst - Cochrane                200 miles

Cochrane - Shining Tree      200 miles

Shining Tree - Noelville        160 miles

Noelville - Parry Sound         120 miles

Any concerns or thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Thanks for all the info.  Another question: where are the bridges?  Are they north of Parry Sound?

Yes, they are. The Pickerel River is 12 miles north of the TOP C/C105D jct & another 2 miles to the French. The jct is 73 miles/119 klicks north of Parry Sound (shortest route).

I always figured the Hearst To Chapleau at around 300 miles

I always figured the Hearst To Chapleau at around 300 miles

PLC - Thanks.  That's what I think too.  We did it last year, Hearst to Chapleau, I know it was at least 300.  We'll do Chapleau to Hearst this year.  I'll send Rev an update so he knows our route and the associated mileage.

We'll do Chapleau to Hearst this year.  I'll send Rev an update so he knows our route and the associated mileage.

T.I.A.  :right_on:

BTW Rev - The trip from Chapleau - Hearst seems more like 300 miles.  I did it last year, I think it was 320.  I'll confirm it this year.  Your guide says 232.

Trip plan:

Shining Tree - Noelville

Thanks,

Trip plan:

Shining Tree - Noelville

Thanks,

Was 400 k last time we did it, that was the first year of the  reroute to the east? & we got a little screwed up with the signage?  was stll a great day!

I've only got GPS info from Hearst to D'ville. Mileage from D'ville to Chapleau was taken from my odometer during our trip thru there in '06.

How is the fuel situation from Massey to Chapleau?  Where is the gas between Elliot Lake and Chapleau?

We just came through there yesterday, black creek outfitters in Aubry falls has the only gas between those two towns.

How is the fuel situation from Massey to Chapleau? Where is the gas between Elliot Lake and Chapleau?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the trip yesterday.  A few notes from our ride:

Day 1 - Parry Sound to Massey.  260 miles.  We got a little lost somewhere around Espanola.  Got to the Massey Motel at about 8:30, the nice lady at the Dragonfly Restaurant stayed open a bit later so we could have something to eat, no liquor license there.  It would have been nice to have a nice cold beer after a long day on the trail.  All of the trails were in very nice condition.  C to C108D to D (I think we stayed on D, meant to stay north on the "ESP trails).

Day 2 - Massey to Chapleau   230 miles.  Really nice ride on D and F.  Stopped Lively, Elliot Lake and at Black Creek Outfitters for Gas.  Trails were again in very nice condition.  Thanked the nice young man at Black Creek for his wonderful grooming efforts.  He let us know of a small wash out on F just west of his place, there was plenty of room to get around.  Got to Valentine Farms at about 6:00.  Ross had our beer ready for us and ran out to get us some pizzas.  We were the only group there that night, had some time in the hot tub and relaxed for a while.

Day 3 - Chapleau to Hearst  300 miles.  Left Valentine Farms early to get a start for the long ride.  Got gas along the way at all of the usual places, the only places.  Missanabie, D'Ville, Hornepayne then Hearst.   There wasn't anyone around in Missanabie when we arrived, a few minutes went by and someone came by to give us the gas we needed, she said she heard us go by when we rode in.  Trails were outstanding and fast.  We left Chapleau at 8:30 and arrived in Hearst at 5:00.  Had a neat experience along the way; just leaving Hornepayne we followed a wolf on the trail for a while, he was really pissed off when we went by.  The Great Northern Ride was in Hearst when we arrived, got our sleds into the garage just in time.  Had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant at the Companion, tubbed again, had a few drinks, relaxed for a while and called it a day.

Day 4 - Hearst to Cochrane   180 miles.  Our easy day. Made the annual stop at the Moonbeam clubhouse, a "must see" for the northern Ontario rider.  Took our time and rode into Cochrane at about 4:00.  Stayed at the Thiftlodge and walked to JR's for ribs.  Thriftlodge is really a good place to stay in Cochrane.  I have stayed at most place there; NAI, Westway, Chimo, Lilibelle (when it was open).  I think Thriftlodge is the best value of any.

Day 5 - Cochrane to Gowganda   225 miles   C to A106C to C to A107C   Trails continue to be in fabulous condition.  There is a lot of snow everywhere.  Gas in Timmins and Gogama then in Gowganda.  Stayed to Gowganda Lake Camp for the first time.  (Sorry Kelly), Ron and Giselle are tremendous hosts, food is great and the cabin was very nice.  Dinner is brought to the cabin and breakfast is served at the store.  Relaxed in the cabin for the night.  When we woke up it was -27F so we took our time with breakfast and left at about 11:00.  It had warmed up to -24.

Day 6 - Gowganda to Noelville   205 miles.  C south to C106.  took a bit of a detour to get to Rocky's for gas.  It is 115 miles from Gowganda to Rocky's, no place, that I know of, to get gas along the way.  Arrived late, 7:30 because of our late start, at the Countryside Motel.  Really nice people, they opened a storage room for us and made a bed so 3 stinky snowmobilers didn't have to share one room.  Had a good dinner there at their restaurant.

Day 7 - Noelville to Parry Sound  125 miles  C to alt C.  This as a short day for us.  The trails were really nice, 4" of fresh powder had just fallen, we were the first to ride.  The trails are more technical in this area, it a great feeling floating through the new snow.  Got into Parry Sound at 2:30, loaded the sleds and drove home here to Western New York.

It was a great trip 1525 miles on the best trails to visit some of the best people in the world.  Our thanks to the volunteers who make this possible.  If anyone reading this post ever needs any help planning a trip or has any questions please contact me if you think I can be of any help.

What is "The Great Northern Ride"?

Is that a Come Play in the Snow ride?

I keep seeing posts aboot the Moonbeam clubhouse.

I don't recall seeing anything like that 12/96.

Maybe it was just too cold to stop? Or maybe it wasn't open?

Does anyone know when this went in?

Moonbeam clubhouse has been around for a while.  Valintine's Dance 2009.100_2171_zpsd7026706.jpg100_2180_zps4afe7eee.jpg

Archived