Killarney/Manitoulin/Espanola Loop?

83 Enticer

Need some advice please from someone who has done this (or similar) route before.....  we are interested in doing a three day/night tour loop and would like to hear from anyone who could recommend the trails to take and where to stay.  Typically we would cruise about 250km per day (maybe 300km depending on trail conditions).  Stay in a motel/lodge/cabin and have dinner and breakfast where we stay - lunch at a restaurant somewhere along the trail.  We would trailer the sleds to where we start/finish.  Like to go around third or last week of February.   Any recommendations?  Thanks!

How far are you willing to trailer?  the RAP tour would be one suggestion.

There is also a couple of loops in the Sudbury area, the wolf loop, moose or the Gold rush tour, all in the area of Sudbury, go on the OFSC site and click on loops...

Nunz

welcome to the forum 83 enticer 

I will be doing the trip with 83 Enticer.  We did the RAP tour 2 years ago and spent last year at the Sportsman doing loops from that (fantastic) location.  As mentioned, this year we are thinking about a big loop with Manitoulin as the mid section.  We can start from Sudbury or Killarney or anywhere that works, just want to have decent riding and places to stay.  Isn't it interesting that according to the OFSC there is NO gas available in Killarney? (cough, cough) Give me a break.  When are these guys going to start looking after the customer before an advertiser?  Sorry to vent.  

Anyway if there are any good or bad experiences we would love to hear from you guys.  Please PM 83 enticer as he is the one putting this together and he is RETIRED.  

Just a bunch of 60 ish types on 2 up sleds looking for a few days of interesting riding.  

Thanks in advance.

Or........instead of sending a PM to Enticer83, please post your comments/suggestions/experiences here. I'm looking at a similar excursion in March. This could well be the year to do the big island. Green from Killarney west, Spanish south, Espanola south and the whole island. I expect that, rather than ride from here, we'll trailer to Killarney/Alban/Sudbury/Espanola/Massey/Spanish and have 3or4 days of weekday riding saddle bag style so also looking for comments on places to stay.

I am going to continue to rant (forgive me). Trying to use the OFS map and it provides NO fuel options or lodging on Manitoulin.  Not a few, not ones in key areas, but NONE.  How is this helping us the paying customers buying permits? To go one step further, Manitoulin tourism sure isn't in the game either as there is almost nothing promoting snowmobiling at all on the net.  Can anyone from that area tell me why?  In a fast look even the existing hotels don't give options for sledders or that they are open in the winter and are close to the trails. 

Shaking my head.  

It's been 10 years since I last toured the island. We bought gas in Meldrum Bay back then but I don't see a listing for a gas station there any more. Got gas in Killarney too that trip.

www.sledgas.com shows a couple stations on the island.

Good evening STG..I sent a PM to ET regarding the island. We are heading nord to my second home on the 16th for a bit. My suggestion was Esplanola ( Pinewood Motor Inn) as a base, travel south and cross to Killarney for chili if KBI is still open and back to the island. I can find details or you can look up the Manitoulin club on Facebook. There is a new resort in Little Current. Day two would be the island, gas in Mchingeeng, MIndemoya, Spring Bay, Gore Bay or Sheshewaning Reserve ( my friends John and Marie) west end near Silver Water. From there you could jump across on the staked trail to the nord shore and end up Elliot Lake for the night. I would screw around the club trails there for a day and then wind back east.

Anyone need advise pls PM. This is the year to do the island. You can run ice from Birch Island to Killarney and then back to Little Current..fantastic as you weave through Bay of Islands, Frazer Bay and then the next is the 17 mile blast straight west to LC.

Same as west of Gore Bay crossing Bayfield Sound to Portage Point and then basically run to Meldrum and back. Depends on how much time you want to spend on the island

The Queens in Gore Bay is a B&B  offering direct access to the nord channel crossing out of GB. Gas at Gore Bay is at the highway road crossing. Great food in GB at Twin Bluffs but not late hrs. Mindemoya has gas and food just off trail. Manitoulin Chrysler is owned by Owen Legge Need advice or help. BJ Addisons in Mchigeening ( Yamaha) same, Buies in Spring Bay (same)

The west end you're on your own unless you can find me..NOT. John at Sheshewaning is good. ( not a sledder though.) 

Thanks Faceman.  I remember the SnowDusters used to have a pretty informative web page but couldn't find it.  Sorry to hear they've switched to FB; I'm not a FB member.  So yeah; you may be seeing more questions on here :-)

In the meantime, I'm digging into the info you posted.  Thanks for your help !

Just called Pitfields General Store 1-705-87-2872 in Killarney. They are open with high test fuel. The Killarney Bay Inn ( 1-705-287-2011) is also open with a restaurant and lodging.

Awesome planning to go from Lively-Killarney-L.C.-whitefish Falls-Espanola-Lively on Saturday. Is the big water staked??

Thanks in advance

I think it was 04, a group of us left Gravenhurst and rode up through PS, Mactier, on to Killarney for the first night. Took the north channel to Massy and up to Noelville? For the night. Then back to Gravenhurst the next day. It was a beautiful trip, I would like to ride the area again, maybe this year if is good late season, once the Cowboys are either broke or worn out. Not much help as things have changed allot since then, but I can tell you, you should not be disappointed.

Thanks for the info. A few of us will be heading northwest soon. Sudbury was the western limit, but started talking about Manitoulin once the deep freeze and snow started.

Thx again for the lodging and fuel info.

Did these trail about 8 years ago. Late season and everything had gone to muck in Muskoka. Stayed at the motel about a km from the hortons in espanola. Did a few loops using espanola as a base. Great riding!

Have stayed in Elliot lake a few tines for work. The Hampton inn is quite nice and comfy if you don't mind spending a extra few bucks.

Enjoy!

I am looking at incorporating Manitoulin on a ride from Gravenhurst. 

Can anyone provide insights on C trail between Parrysound and Sudbury and C107D from Sudbury to Killarney? It looks tight and twisty on the interactive map.

Is Killarney Bay Inn the only place to stay in Killarney?

I'm traveling with 14Snow and have a supplemental question : From Gravenhurst , would it make more sense to tie into D102C north, instead of C trail from Parry Sound?

The C trail in the Parry Sound area is great (we've done it twice already this year), but since we're so far east, is D102C worth considering? It looks like some lakes, etc. - D102C-600-AR500-C105D. Essentially, both sides of Hwy 522 moving west. As long as it's not a twisty trail for 50 kms.

Stay at Toronado's Resort? Dine at the world famous "Jake's Place " or one of Slomo's other epicurean delights in that area?

Thanks in advance.

(PS - One odd thing about the interactive guide is that when I clicked on POI's/Accommodations  ... the only accommodation that popped up between Parry Sound and Sundridge was Toronado's. How'd they do that? I've zoomed in and out, to no avail)

14  Not sure if anything else is open. I would guess not unless its a B&B. I could offer a boat for you to sleep in but I might be a tad cool.

Trail isn't quite as bad as it looks..well, haven't been on it since 09-10.

When you folks are cruising that part of the world, stop at The Red Dog in Whitefish Falls for some wings. Fantastic. Please do not mention my referral or, well, bad things might happen LOL

Way too much fun there. Wasn't me, it was STG

As and FYI, Meldrum is worth a visit but nothing is open.

(PS - One odd thing about the interactive guide is that when I clicked on POI's/Accommodations  ... the only accommodation that popped up between Parry Sound and Sundridge was Toronado's. How'd they do that? I've zoomed in and out, to no avail)

POI's on the IAFG are paid ads only, afaik.

Archived