With what do you pack your sled?

GrizzlyGriff

I have required a tow home more than once and had to do the towing other times. Mechanics wire sure comes in handy when you have a suspension failure and need to nurse the thing home.

I sure wish I could find a small come-along.

I know a guy who found a nice sized one that fit in a saddle bag, sure enough one evening he needed it to get himself out of a water hole. He doesn't remember where he got it and there is no name on it.

One Friday evening in my youth I was out hot dogging it and went off the trail, all alone and about - 18 C. No one know where I was and I thought I was screwed, luckily the groomer appeared. I got a pull out and went straight home lol.

2 lessons learned: 1st stop driving like a Cowboy and 2nd don't go out alone!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small come along is a great idea...gonna google it and see if I can find one.

Lots of good basics, but my best safety net has always been another machine to climb on when mine is not going to take me to a warm spot for the night.  I usually try to tow the dead one, but have left a few and had to come back. 

I read somewhere that if your stuck and all you have is a long rope you can tie it to your track and pull yourself out when it wraps the rope up... Not safe but might get you out of a jam...

SJ.... you can ride with us ANYTIME!  you pack and prepare like me. :D  Ski

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I don't think I could keep up unless we are on trail.  As Ceyhoopers and OF7 will attest, I am NOT good off trail :-)

But I do like to be prepared for almost anything.

Lots of great input. For me it really depends if I am traveling solo, on or off trail and conditions. I always carry fire started ( matches, lighter, flint and steel) in a water proof container. This is always on my person and not on the sled. If you loose your sled through the ice then you will only have what is with you. I carry an avalanche shovel in my pack. Some rescue gear which fits in a fanny pack. A metal cup or a small pot to melt snow. I either have a knapsack or a plastic container on my long track. When I head off winter camping I pull a toboggan.

RR

I carry a good set of vise grips with the wire cutters on them as well as most of the other stuff needed to keep me going . Not just any side cutters are good enough for sledding , well  not good enough for around Durham Region. Someone on a stretch of trail likes to throw fence wire on the trail/ditch to get all tangled in the track and sprockets. I have been caught a couple of times at night and have picked up wire and twine lots of times.

IMG_03101_zps2fa571ac.jpg

This was one day my friend got some wire and saw it at the last minute. We broke a set of side cutters on this fence wire before.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I don't think I could keep up unless we are on trail.  As Ceyhoopers and OF7 will attest, I am NOT good off trail :-)

But I do like to be prepared for almost anything.

me too  :wavey: I have seen you there  

I have required a tow home more than once and had to do the towing other times. Mechanics wire sure comes in handy when you have a suspension failure and need to nurse the thing home.

I sure wish I could find a small come-along.

I know a guy who found a nice sized one that fit in a saddle bag, sure enough one evening he needed it to get himself out of a water hole. He doesn't remember where he got it and there is no name on it.

One Friday evening in my youth I was out hot dogging it and went off the trail, all alone and about - 18 C. No one know where I was and I thought I was screwed, luckily the groomer appeared. I got a pull out and went straight home lol.

2 lessons learned: 1st stop driving like a Cowboy and 2nd don't go out alone!!

Since I started riding a  stroke and since I am older and can't throw the front end of the sled around like I could when I was 20 I now carry a small boat trailer winch with nylon strap I got from Princess Auto. If I get stuck I can slowly crank the sled out.

Boat winch not a bad idea I need to look some up.

Yeah, it is. :oops:  The real problem is that I don't even know if I could list it all :oops:

Let's see?

Fues

Spare Plugs

Spare bulbs

Wire Ties

Chain Saw

Gloves (Mechanics)

Black Tape

Duct Tape

Flashlights

Camera

Phone

SPOT

GPS

Spare toques

Spare Balaclava

Multi Tool (Leatherman type)

Spare visor cables

Cable tester

Fire starter

lighter

torch

aspirin

first aid kit

SnoBunge

tow straps

rope falls

siphon hose

SlickTape tow strap

handlebar muffs

spare gloves

spare batteries for camera, SPOT, phone, and flashlight

spare GPS

Tools for sled

Tools for electronics

Emergency shovel

Caution Tape

Wire

Crimp Connectors

Probably more, but the CRS is kicking in :oops:

Satellite dish......

Satellite dish......

I knew I forgot something :-)

me too  :wavey: I have seen you there  

Yeah! Yeah! :oops:

visa,cash,smokes & lighter...use to carry everything plus 12 L fuel & 4 L oil (dragon)...but kept blowin shocks..not good when rider & gear weigh more then sled...& drive it like it's stolen...o-ya cell...with sledjunk on speed dial...

visa,cash,smokes & lighter...use to carry everything plus 12 L fuel & 4 L oil (dragon)...but kept blowin shocks..not good when rider & gear weigh more then sled...& drive it like it's stolen...o-ya cell...with sledjunk on speed dial...

I still remember the first time Canuck and I met you and Bill.  We had just completed the ride to the Canyon and the camp had closed that day.  You and Bill had those two dragons loaded with two 5 gallon gas cans on each to do the run the next day! :lmao:

I never seem to think that I venture far enough away to require additional fuel, but once I did manage to run out on lake Vernon That was a long walk to the Marina.

Love the range on the 4-strokes.

I'm beginning to think I need one of those trailers to tow behind the sled.

Might as well make it a camper trailer or ice hut on skis

If I get one of the bubble enclosed caboose I could incorporate a propane heater and a generator... if need be spend the night on the trail with heat light and TV

Don't forget popcorn maker for movie time

I usually sled with a few other guys and we split the load up of supplies among all of us. We run Skidoo Renegades with the Linq system. We have lots of space for stuff.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm beginning to think I need one of those trailers to tow behind the sled.

Going to get one of these.....

post-19713-0-67562900-1387615359_thumb.j

That way, by law, others will have to pull over to the right and stop,  while I go by....

(will also come in handy if I catch the bastard that cut me off on the Seguin last week....)

Going to get one of these.....

attachicon.gifSnowbulance-4.jpg

That way, by law, others will have to pull over to the right and stop,  while I go by....

(will also come in handy if I catch the bastard that cut me off on the Seguin last week....)

exactly what I need... I can even mount the satelite dish on top

Archived