With what do you pack your sled?

GrizzlyGriff

After 13 years of sledding since I moved up here, I have added stuff to my sled that came in handy.  Just wondering what other people pack as "essentials".

I pack a flashlight (doh), pruning saw(helps if you have to cut wood for a fire or to clear passage), starter firelog(handy to start a fire), box cutter ( to cut kevlar windings off the clutch if a belt breaks), handlebar muffs and an extra layer.

Storage sucks on a sled so I find my long track can sport a bag on the back which I couldn't do without.  Oh yeah, a bit of coffee in a thermos for the breaks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to wait for my friend SJ to respond to this post. I've always wanted to know what he carries on his sled. :-)

tool kit (more than the factory crap), saftey wire, duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties, multi tool, gps, frs.gmrs radio, batteries, rope, toilet paper, fire starter (multiple styles), sandvik (canadian bush axe), shovel, hand chain saw, food, water, first aid, tarp, real bivy bag (think travel sleeping bag), towel, stainless cup to melt snow,  sled to sled tow straps, sno bungie (gets sleds unstuck, think 4wd snatch strap), shop rags, spare goggles, balaclava, and gloves.... and lots lots more. i try to have enough saftey gear to spend 2-3 days in the bush if neccesary. ask Luc and Reg.... they say if they have to come find us, i will have a cabin built with cable tv and running water, by the time they get there. :D  my back pack weighs close to 30 lbs, not including what is on the sled, not on me.

Ski

Rather than try to put together my list again, here is a link to a very similar thread from a couple of years ago.  http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8815-what-do-you-carry-in-your-emergency-tool-kit/?hl=%20chain%20%20saw,%20%20fuses

There are a number of great ideas in there and I probably carry most of the items.

However, when we rode with Canuck's buddy last year in Cochrane, I think he had a few days supply of food in his pockets.  Never thought of that!

- Flexible gas line and collapsible water bottle for emergency fuel transfer in case someone else needs a little fuel.

- two-hook Y strap and 20ft tow strap in case someone else...

- hand warmers

- folding saw

- spare fuses

- utility tool, leatherman style

- Litre of engine oil just in case

- factory tool kit

- owner's manual

- LED flashlight

- Big leather sledding mitts or lighter sledding gloves, which ever I'm not wearing

- rubber palmed cotton work gloves for emergency repairs or adjustments on the trail

- GPS with RAM mount on handle bar

- toque for smoke breaks

- spare balaclava

- small first aid kit (Ducks Unlimited)

- roll of electrical tape

- probably more but this is all I can remember

Edit: almost forgot the booster cables jammed in the nose cone

This is a good topic GG. I'm going to start being more prepared for emergency situations. Thanks for sharing some of the things you carry ski.

OMG. gonna have to get a trailer.....LOL

Oh yeah..my wife says " shut up.you gotta have ice picks!!"

I keep it simple. In my backpack I carry a extra sweater,pocket knife,spare socks,a bottle of water and something to snack on because I get an appetite on the trail at times.

Tool kit, flashlight, lighter, knife, tape, zip ties, GPS, tow strap, siphon hose, spare belt, antigravity battery.

What's an antigravity battery?

ice picks, balaclava, spare belt and an extemely primitive tool kit. I guess you could say Im lacking lots of suff but where I ride if I break down some one will be by to help

Wow cool...a must for every Apex in cold weather!

Wow cool...a must for every Apex in cold weather!

X2 where can I buy that antigravity battery?

Rather than try to put together my list again, here is a link to a very similar thread from a couple of years ago.  http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8815-what-do-you-carry-in-your-emergency-tool-kit/?hl=%20chain%20%20saw,%20%20fuses

There are a number of great ideas in there and I probably carry most of the items.

However, when we rode with Canuck's buddy last year in Cochrane, I think he had a few days supply of food in his pockets.  Never thought of that!

You just didn't want to type everything on you sled because the list is a long one!

You just didn't want to type everything on you sled because the list is a long one!

Yeah, it is. :oops:  The real problem is that I don't even know if I could list it all :oops:

Let's see?

Fues

Spare Plugs

Spare bulbs

Wire Ties

Chain Saw

Gloves (Mechanics)

Black Tape

Duct Tape

Flashlights

Camera

Phone

SPOT

GPS

Spare toques

Spare Balaclava

Multi Tool (Leatherman type)

Spare visor cables

Cable tester

Fire starter

lighter

torch

aspirin

first aid kit

SnoBunge

tow straps

rope falls

siphon hose

SlickTape tow strap

handlebar muffs

spare gloves

spare batteries for camera, SPOT, phone, and flashlight

spare GPS

Tools for sled

Tools for electronics

Emergency shovel

Caution Tape

Wire

Crimp Connectors

Probably more, but the CRS is kicking in :oops:

Handlebar Muffs

Safety Kit

mechanics wire

electrical tape

duct tape

2 different multi tools

LED flasklight

space plugs

spare belt

factory tool kit

paper maps

wire ties

phone

phone charger

work gloves

Tylenol

compass

lighter

tow rope

toque

spare ear plugs

gas line antifreeze

octane booster

this year I will be adding

test light

fuses

siphon hose

shock key (for spring preload adjustments)

Got mine at Northland Marine in Carnarvon.

I'm going to wait for my friend SJ to respond to this post. I've always wanted to know what he carries on his sled. :-)

probably easier to ask what he doesn't carry. If I were to break down I would want him with me though.

I have to admit that the downside is the saddle bags and tank bag are always on the sled.  For an actual saddlebag trip, I have to add a rack and use another bag :-(  It does feel good to have the peace of mind, though.

I need to get with it, I only carry the stock tool kit,belt and plugs. I have always been able to catch the trail within a few hundred feet of my house so for some reason never felt I needed a lot.

Archived