Hand Signals??

martin1

I do appreciate receiving hand signals but on a straight line when you can see a mile ahead, it's pretty useless. In that case, I just wave my hand to say hello. Some riders might wonder what kind of hand signal this is.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so now there is some sterio typing going on, if you don't use hand signals ur a renagade. I think that is pretty harsh. I have been operating a sled on my own for 35 years, when the hand signal deal started I used them. With that being said I evaluated the whole thing in my simple little mind, and I see no value in knowing someone is riding towards me, you see I realize that there are 80k more people that bought a permit, and I have my doubts that they are all parked, so there is a good chance they are gonna be comin at me.

As a groomer co-ordinator and operator I would be much happier if all you safety sams scraped the meaningless hand signals and came up with one that told oncoming sledders that there is a groomer where you just came from. There is no signal to warn a groomer is in the area.....wouldn't that be knovel, warn someone there is a peice of equipment using 70% 0f the trail. Make something meaningfull if you want to make signals, stay to the right and don't cry when someone doesn't play the game your way. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it, I don't believe the hand signal deal was thought through very well before it was implemented, at first it seemed good but as time has passed it seems less logical. It is like driving down the hiway, there is always oncoming traffic, it is to be expected.

It is like driving down the hiway, there is always oncoming traffic, it is to be expected.

The only difference is that I'm not aware of many highways that have 90 degree corners with zero visibility that go down to one lane. It's nice to get a warning, even if it's only reliable half the time. More information is better than none. But to each his own. I respect your opinion.

so now there is some sterio typing going on, if you don't use hand signals ur a renagade. I think that is pretty harsh. I have been operating a sled on my own for 35 years, when the hand signal deal started I used them. With that being said I evaluated the whole thing in my simple little mind, and I see no value in knowing someone is riding towards me, you see I realize that there are 80k more people that bought a permit, and I have my doubts that they are all parked, so there is a good chance they are gonna be comin at me.

As a groomer co-ordinator and operator I would be much happier if all you safety sams scraped the meaningless hand signals and came up with one that told oncoming sledders that there is a groomer where you just came from. There is no signal to warn a groomer is in the area.....wouldn't that be knovel, warn someone there is a peice of equipment using 70% 0f the trail. Make something meaningfull if you want to make signals, stay to the right and don't cry when someone doesn't play the game your way. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it, I don't believe the hand signal deal was thought through very well before it was implemented, at first it seemed good but as time has passed it seems less logical. It is like driving down the hiway, there is always oncoming traffic, it is to be expected.

x2

X3

For a groomer, if time allows and I'm stopped or close I'll point behind and then spread my arms wide apart above my head. Might seem silly but if you just came off a windy trail it just might cause the other rider to think ("wtf was that"??)

I like the handsignals on the sled but completely agree we need a sign for groomers. While out grooming there are way to many times I have seen the deer in headlights look as someone comes around a bend. Luckily never a collision but still not a nice feeling. What area do you coordinate?

How about a circular motion?

Groomers have warning lights that swirl, so the circular motion is consistent.

Or lean out with your butt in the air, 'cause at the speed some of these guys are going they're about to fill their pants.

:wacko:

I've seen hand in a circular on the Seguin, or hand pushing flat to the ground ( slow down) Both to me indicate Radar.

I've seen hand in a circular on the Seguin, or hand pushing flat to the ground ( slow down) Both to me indicate Radar.

As I'm concerned, a plow in front of a groomer is a better argument to slow down as opposed to a radar.

Groomer plow 1 sled and rider 0 - no contest. My wife and I came around a fairly tight bend in the pine trees a couple of weeks ago to find a stopped groomer. He was out of the cab moving a tree branch. We couldn't see it until we were almost on top of it but at a reasonable speed we had lots of time to stop. The trail was tight there so we turned around and went back a short distsance for him to pass. Some of the others we saw that day may well have run into that plow in the same situation with the speeds they were going.

stay on the right side of the trail,and expect the unexpected, end of discussion

The css sled light system is a way better system then the hand signals. I rode with a bunch of guys in Manitoba with them and they work very well! Biggest problem and why I never bought into them was no one in my area has a clue what they mean and have never used a hand signal in thier life. They also hog the inside of the corner all the time. Does not matter that they can not see around the corner! Just like lemmings they follow the inside of every corner like they where the only ones on the trail.

I really liked the CSS light system it was easy to see day or night and kept the hands on the bars. Not that it ever bothered me to ride with one hand and signal in front of me or behind me. It has kept a few people from running into me over the years they may not see my brake lights but they sure see my hand in the air! I use my hand sparingly so when its up it means holy crap grab a handfull!

With a few signs and education the CSS system could work well. It just takes a bit of incentive to orginize and promote. New Hampshire promotes it! I would use it if the OFSC promoted it!

http://www.uncanoonucmountaineers.org/html/c_s_s_lights.html

I would love to see the OFSC promote, or at least acknowledge, the system. Built my own a few years ago and have them on all three of our sleds.

I like the idea of this CSS system. Maybe with a little time and knowledge it will become the norm like the hand signals. I don't even know when the handsignal thing began really, just started noticing it on the trials years ago and started doing it ourselves, maybe this will work similarly.

Thanks for all your input guys. The light system might be ok but it still does not tell us when there is an oncoming sled. If your giving me a hand signal the only thing I know for sure is your not in complete control of your sled. Is anyone running the brake????

oddly enough, when I see a headlight coming towards me, I realize something is approaching, when there are no more headlights, there is nobody approaching.......untill the next headlight appears. These lights come as standard equipment on all snowmobiles and are wired to be on when the engine is running.

For a groomer, if time allows and I'm stopped or close I'll point behind and then spread my arms wide apart above my head. Might seem silly but if you just came off a windy trail it just might cause the other rider to think ("wtf was that"??)

Sorry Faceman, I read this quickly and my brain swapped "arms" for "legs". I couldn't stop laughing for two minutes!

"For a groomer, if time allows and I'm stopped or close I'll point behind and then spread my legs wide apart above my head. Might seem silly but if you just came off a windy trail it just might cause the other rider to think ("wtf was that"??)"

Sorry Faceman, I read this quickly and my brain swapped "arms" for "legs". I couldn't stop laughing for two minutes!

"For a groomer, if time allows and I'm stopped or close I'll point behind and then spread my legs wide apart above my head. Might seem silly but if you just came off a windy trail it just might cause the other rider to think ("wtf was that"??)"

ultrafunny...windy or not...sure riders will think wtf

You got it ! That is all that should be expected

X2

But that wouldn't be cool!

RE-leaf and I had a conversation tonight about this very topic. When safe, I will continue to use hand signals. Four sleds rode this past weekend and re-leaf rode a few minutes behind as he was two-uping with precious cargo. I was the third rider of the three in the pack. I felt "good" advising other riders that there was one other sled approaching....shortly. Every mode of transportation has a means of communicating; sleds should be included, even if very rudimentary.

Thanks OF7. Your hand signals were much appreciated.

I"ll use signals if it's safe to do so, just times and conditions that make no sense doing it, as for reckless riders I just make thse assumption that your all reckless and irresponsible and ride accordingly, don't take nothing for granted

That Is all we need is more lights on the sled. Neat idea, but only works if everyone is on board. When are the clubs going to paint on yellow lines down the middle of the trail. That will be the next safety item.

Archived