Soldiers and guns and heavy equipment- Cochrane

Faceman

Just some info.

All that is required to operate a CFR'd snow vehicle is a LOSV(land over snow vehicle) crse. Military personnel are not required to have insurance or registration or even a drivers license and are exempt from provincial regulations. Sleds are used exclusive by the Rangers up north or when there is a winter ex. They are used on base by MPs or Ranger Control. There is no such thing as using them off duty.

They are very sensitive to public opinion. Generally excellent folks and thier training does save lives

A couple of years ago we saw a large number of military vehicles on the 400. Met up with some of them at a gas station when they stopped for a bite to eat and asked what was going on. Great bunch of people. Explained where they were headed, what they were going to do there and more. Even let me have a peak at some of the unique trucks they were driving and explained how the engine was sealed and snorkled. Essentially this thing could drive through water well above the bottom of the doors of the cab.

I think its more a matter of there is going to be 1000+ Cf peeps up there adn 500+ sleds on the trial.

Would you really want to ride on a trail that 500+ sleds have been on ??

I suspect one big difference would be that out of the 500 CF sleds you're not going to find wanna be snow crosser throttle jockeys chewing up the trails.

I suspect one big difference would be that out of the 500 CF sleds you're not going to find wanna be snow crosser throttle jockeys chewing up the trails.

02 you're so right. We hosted 5 CFB Petawawa senior officers on sleds last week on their way to CFB Burwash. All had big Bearcats loaded with all kinds of gear.

NBSC provided soup & drinks at The Portage and overnight storage at our MegaDome. Terrific gentlemen and a credit to us as Canadians.

"Throttle jockeys chewing up the trails" You are so right again, I've never seen the likes of this year, especially the off-trail stuff which is okay on Crown Land but crossing the trail multiple times leaving snow piles everywhere and especially full throttle down the trails just destroying the groomer's hard work.

You watch SnoTrax TV or Snowmobiler TV you see those guys promoting the same type of reckless driving on the trail, skiis in the air, jumping and tearing up the corners like who cares for the riders behind me.

I don't know whether it is because we've got so much powder here this year but soon there will be nothing left as these sleds can just about go anywhere.

02 you're so right. We hosted 5 CFB Petawawa senior officers on sleds last week on their way to CFB Burwash. All had big Bearcats loaded with all kinds of gear.

NBSC provided soup & drinks at The Portage and overnight storage at our MegaDome. Terrific gentlemen and a credit to us as Canadians.

"Throttle jockeys chewing up the trails" You are so right again, I've never seen the likes of this year, especially the off-trail stuff which is okay on Crown Land but crossing the trail multiple times leaving snow piles everywhere and especially full throttle down the trails just destroying the groomer's hard work.

You watch SnoTrax TV or Snowmobiler TV you see those guys promoting the same type of reckless driving on the trail, skiis in the air, jumping and tearing up the corners like who cares for the riders behind me.

I don't know whether it is because we've got so much powder here this year but soon there will be nothing left as these sleds can just about go anywhere.

TV shows I am sure contribute to the idea of this is how you are supposed to ride. It's rare you ever see anything going at a modest pace on the show. Supertrax in particular. The most recent Supertrax article by Mark Lester titled "What I Know For Sure"

"I know for sure New riders will not buy a sled that won't keep up with their friends ride - the very sled they were infected by. Simply put an individual wanting to get into the sport so they can enjoy the camaraderie and fun experienced on their first ride will not tolerate being the last one down the lake or back to the lodge while the influencers who taught them the sport all ride 120 plus horespower rockets."

Baloney... not everyone is in this for bragging rights about how fast they can get from point A to B. We ride with a group of people who all ride at slightly varying paces. Some will at times pick up the pace and get ahead of the rest but then wait for the others to catch up. It's not a competition.

The magazines and TV shows put a huge focus on racing and encourage riders to go as fast as they possibly can. What is wrong with actually enjoying the scenery and nature. Oh that's right... it's not as glamorous as what they show on TV.

Yesterday my wife asked about these sleds with the massive handlebar risers and why did these guys never sit down. Couldn't really give her a good answer. Perhaps their suits are too warm and they need to stand up to keep cool, even on those smooth flat old rail trails.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back today.

Everyone made it back, towed a few sleds back that had bad days. Did some shooting and sledding.

Don't think we f'd up the trails, if anything the big toboggans full of gear helped the trais.

It sucks balls living in an arctic tent heated by a coleman stove and light when it's -25, eating frozen rations heated by the same stove. None of us saw the inside of a building all ex.

I don't think I got 25 hrs sleep in 7 days.

Anyone who thinks this is easy, I can set up the same crap, come with me.

Got back today.

Everyone made it back, towed a few sleds back that had bad days. Did some shooting and sledding.

Don't think we f'd up the trails, if anything the big toboggans full of gear helped the trais.

It sucks balls living in an arctic tent heated by a coleman stove and light when it's -25, eating frozen rations heated by the same stove. None of us saw the inside of a building all ex.

'This year’s exercise focuses on a Defence of Canada scenario. Approximately 1,500 Canadian Army regular and reserve force soldiers, Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, and Canadian Rangers from across Ontario will be training in the vicinity of Cochrane, Fraserdale and Moosonee, Ontario"

You did a fine job. Didn't see one forward element of the enemy anywhere. Back to the trails.

Where can I get one of those Huge yellow bogans!!even seen a sled in one of them up there.

Where can I get one of those Huge yellow bogans!!even seen a sled in one of them up there.

http://www.eqnx.biz/boggans/super.html

These things took a huge pounding over the last two years.

I was very impressed how they held up.

I'd buy one personally.

'This year’s exercise focuses on a Defence of Canada scenario. Approximately 1,500 Canadian Army regular and reserve force soldiers, Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, and Canadian Rangers from across Ontario will be training in the vicinity of Cochrane, Fraserdale and Moosonee, Ontario"

You did a fine job. Didn't see one forward element of the enemy anywhere. Back to the trails.

Lol, I had my elephant spray out too...didn't see one elephant, must be working.

Anyone who is ballsy enough to invade us thru the North had better be ready for it.

The training we get up there means we are ready to defend it.

100 dudes on sleds ready to shoot back does help with sovereignty.

On the way back from picking up my son in Sudbury, we ran into my niece's fiancee driving one of these huge Army trucks north for the excercise. We were all stuck behind an accident on the highway during a mini storm and pulled into the New Liskeard Walmart parking lot where they were waiting for the road to re-open. If that wasn't co-incidence enough, on the way back to Sudbury to return the kid to school a week and a half later, we run into him in Temagami driving the same truck south.

I still have to buy my lottery tickets as this surely is a sign.

Thanks for the link vooodooo. Didn't know equinox made them. They have lots to choose from. You can sure pack a load in those. How do they haul,weight wise?

HOO-rah. Nothing bad to say about our troops' guts. You guys rock. I'd do that trip in a heartbeat, just for snits & giggles. I hunt moose, remember.

I hunt moose, remember.

Looks more like you hunt wascally wabbits. :lol:

http://www.eqnx.biz/boggans/super.html

These things took a huge pounding over the last two years.

I was very impressed how they held up.

I'd buy one personally.

Wow...great link. I can see definite possibilities for the Snowbulance....a little heater and you can overnight or pull over on the trail for a nap...

post-19713-0-35177600-1362046536_thumb.j

or sledjunk can set up a 'portable com center' for his various tours..... :lol:

"red dog leader....this is red dog one.....we have your position....preparing to drop your replacement track....over...."

Looks more like you hunt wascally wabbits. :lol:

Guilty as charged.

Wow...great link. I can see definite possibilities for the Snowbulance....a little heater and you can overnight or pull over on the trail for a nap...

post-19713-0-35177600-1362046536_thumb.jpg

or sledjunk can set up a 'portable com center' for his various tours..... :lol:

"red dog leader....this is red dog one.....we have your position....preparing to drop your replacement track....over...."

lmfao !!! Gotta meet this Sledjunk dude someday !

hmmmm where is our wascally wabbit?

Being vewwy quiet ....

Got back today.

Thanks for taking care of our troops, or if you are one of troops thank you for what you do for our Country!

On Weds' we stopped on TOP A in the part of CFB Petawawa that it passes thru. To the west there was a muffled boom. Then a few more boom boom booms. They must've been practicing blind firing as the sure wouldn't have been able to seen far down the range. Visibility was pretty bad from Round Lake to Deep River along the B & A trails.

Archived