Soldiers and guns and heavy equipment- Cochrane

Faceman

Just received an e-mail from Voodoo who is with the Canadian Armed Forces.

Cochrane area will be hosting approximately 1000 soldiers and equipment doing exercises until the 25th. "Can you warn sledders on OC to avoid Cochrane at all costs. Learned this is an area exercise, 1000 persons hundred plus sleds till the 25 th"

Thanks Voodoo, enjoy your 10 days in Moose Factory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does a DND sled have to have a permit, if they are training and happen to use our trails?

I saw a groomer operator just about jump out and beat the crap out of 4 soldiers in an 8 wheel Argo as they came running up the trail he had just groomed a few years back.

I know DND does have some leeway during exercises, but they can't break any laws in the process.

Does a DND sled have to have a permit, if they are training and happen to use our trails?

I saw a groomer operator just about jump out and beat the crap out of 4 soldiers in an 8 wheel Argo as they came running up the trail he had just groomed a few years back.

I know DND does have some leeway during exercises, but they can't break any laws in the process.

LOL Dude this is the goberment, they can lie cheat steal and f@@@ you over anyway they want.

LOL Dude this is the goberment, they can lie cheat steal and xxxx you over anyway they want.

Ya I know that...But I wasn't talking a out the idiots in Ottawa.

But living a few miles from CFB Trenton it's common to see exersices going on. And sometimes they will train in and around the smaller villages and they are always respectful to the public and the land they are on.

Just received an e-mail from Voodoo who is with the Canadian Armed Forces.

Cochrane area will be hosting approximately 1000 soldiers and equipment doing exercises until the 25th. "Can you warn sledders on OC to avoid Cochrane at all costs. Learned this is an area exercise, 1000 persons hundred plus sleds till the 25 th"

Thanks Voodoo, enjoy your 10 days in Moose Factory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we passed a group of 20-25 soldiers on sleds this morning on our way to moonbeam.

No..and yes on the permit.

They do fall under the exemptions within the scope of the MSVA but like Police, Firefighters etcetera it is only during the commission of their duties. If the soldiers use the sleds while off duty on OFSC trails they must be properly permitted.

Apparently the original plan was to train supplies and gear to Moose Factory but "the train" couldn't or wouldn't accommodate , so plan B was the Herc and fly stuff in...until the cost became apparent.

Voodoo is part of the lead group to establish and break trail by sled to MF. Better him than me is all I can say.

Was in North Bay @ the BW last night for a NNTA meeting & a group of 4 rode into the compound,

All looks good, i ask a few questions & I was told they hauled the sleds from trenton to ride the trails for a few days??? NO PERMITS!! (with a gov truck?)

Was just a little get away for them was what I was told?

Trillium Response 2013 pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png

Exercise TRILLIUM RESPONSE is the name for Joint Task Force Central’s annual field training exercise aimed at developing and maintaining the capability and expertise to conduct various operations in remote areas and austere conditions. This year’s exercise focuses on a Defence of Canada scenario. Approximately 1,500 Canadian Army regular and reserve force soldiers, Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, and Canadian Rangers from across Ontario will be training in the vicinity of Cochrane, Fraserdale and Moosonee, Ontario.

Here's my 2 cents worth.

We pay for the right to use these trails, it's our home away from home, our stress relief. No CFB Trenton guys are gonna tell me I can't use them, unless an OPP is standing next to them with a REALLY good explanation as to WHY I can't use them. It'd have to be a real emergency, and not just 'cause the green camo guys are training.

No disrespect intended to the CF doing training exercises on our Northern trails, so long as they don't wreck the trails or prevent us from accessing them. Do your thing guys, and let us do ours. No-one needs to conflict the other here, lots of room up in the North. We can all fit.

They spent a lot of time up around Hearst last year, and they were always super pleasant and respectful towards us when approached. The kids enjoyed seeing the equipment getting hauled around, got some pics of half-tracks, tanks and cannons on the trucks.

Interesting. The Brigadier O.C. of Army of Ontario is a friend of mine. I will email him to inquire about the sleds and permits. Do you happen to know the name of the exercise?

They do not need permits during the course of duty. They are one of the exemptions. However..even off duty military do require a permit if they are riding recreationally.

We've been up here at the North Adventure Inn in Cochrane all week and haven't seen even one military person on the trails! Saw a few large vehicles in town, but nothing to write home about. Trails are awesome and the NAI is super!

Here's my 2 cents worth.

We pay for the right to use these trails, it's our home away from home, our stress relief. No CFB Trenton guys are gonna tell me I can't use them, unless an OPP is standing next to them with a REALLY good explanation as to WHY I can't use them. It'd have to be a real emergency, and not just 'cause the green camo guys are training.

No disrespect intended to the CF doing training exercises on our Northern trails, so long as they don't wreck the trails or prevent us from accessing them. Do your thing guys, and let us do ours. No-one needs to conflict the other here, lots of room up in the North. We can all fit.

They spent a lot of time up around Hearst last year, and they were always super pleasant and respectful towards us when approached. The kids enjoyed seeing the equipment getting hauled around, got some pics of half-tracks, tanks and cannons on the trucks.

Actually, if you come across a CF training area and they tell you, you can't carry on and must turn around, you have to listen. Or face charges with interfering with an operational exersice. they always prewarn the public to stay out of the area anyways.

I know a lot of CF guys, and they are always friendly and respectful. They are out playing in the snow and love it, because they are not stuck on base. They do not go out in to the field and start acting like a bunch of rookie cops with a god complex. But if they do ask you to leave the area I recommend you do it,

Trillium Response 2013 pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png

Exercise TRILLIUM RESPONSE is the name for Joint Task Force Central’s annual field training exercise aimed at developing and maintaining the capability and expertise to conduct various operations in remote areas and austere conditions. This year’s exercise focuses on a Defence of Canada scenario. Approximately 1,500 Canadian Army regular and reserve force soldiers, Royal Canadian Air Force personnel, and Canadian Rangers from across Ontario will be training in the vicinity of Cochrane, Fraserdale and Moosonee, Ontario.

To ad - A couple of links from the CF website:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfca-jtfc/trilliumresponse/index-eng.asp

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfca-jtfc/trilliumresponse/qa-qr-eng.asp

Has been going on up there for yrs same time each yr.....most of the time you dont even know they are there...

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I think its more a matter of there is going to be 1000+ Cf peeps up there adn 500+ sleds on the trial.

Would you really want to ride on a trail that 500+ sleds have been on ??

We've been up here at the North Adventure Inn in Cochrane all week and haven't seen even one military person on the trails! Saw a few large vehicles in town, but nothing to write home about. Trails are awesome and the NAI is super!

Nice meeting you guys at Smoothy's on sunday..

I think its more a matter of there is going to be 1000+ Cf peeps up there adn 500+ sleds on the trial.

Would you really want to ride on a trail that 500+ sleds have been on ??

.....it will be like riding the Seguin trail on the weekend ........

Interesting. The Brigadier O.C. of Army of Ontario is a friend of mine. I will email him to inquire about the sleds and permits. Do you happen to know the name of the exercise?

-no they don't need permits for the sleds

-the OFSC was notified of the exercise as a courtesy.

Archived