Wawa Flooding

Panther340

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fill.jpg

Yep wipe out greenpeace. They caused the end of the beaver trapping.

Would you care to 'splain your train of thought on this subject?

I know that in the recent past _ that if you didn't catch the min number, you can lose the rights to trapping that particualr township, and it may go to someone else that will git off his duff.

So, out of curiosity, I checked with Gayle to see if Steve was still trapping, and she assured me that there has been no reduction in their MANDATES of beaver pelts/township. Also noted that there were no worshouts on THEIR roads! (LOL!)

Would you care to 'splain your train of thought on this subject?

I know that in the recent past _ that if you didn't catch the min number, you can lose the rights to trapping that particualr township, and it may go to someone else that will git off his duff.

So, out of curiosity, I checked with Gayle to see if Steve was still trapping, and she assured me that there has been no reduction in their MANDATES of beaver pelts/township. Also noted that there were no worshouts on THEIR roads! (LOL!)

The spraying of red paint on those that wore furs cut the demand for pelts.

Just how often does that happen?

I would think that modern materials have done way more damage to the fur industry than bunny huggers.

..Hey, I'm all for blaming them for all the worlds troubles, but ...

Quite honestly, I have been amazed for years that pelts have fetched what they still do.

I don't know anyone that has a fur coat down here.

...and around here no-one would think about being spray painted I wouldn't think.

I have a sweatshirt with Calvin pissing on The Sierra Club, but I don't think that hardly anyone around here even has that stuff in their mind at all...

I still intend to git myself a pair of wolf, or better yet - Lynx mittens. Just because eh?

I need to git a new coat. Mine is 15 yrs old.

Stopped in to see what Gordy had last spring.

I liked a lot of them, but they were SO Polaris, that it just wouldn't be right.

But I can say that a fur coat never crossed my mind.

I bet they don't breath worth two hoots eh?

• 2 weeks later...

As an American that treasurers the times I've spent in Wawa (and they are many) these pics are heartbreaking. When you see these on the news in some third world country, it's hard to relate. When it happens to a spot that I rode thru last year and to people the caliber of Mo, it takes your breath away. We have a ride planned for the week of Mar. 8-12th but we may try to do an earlier ride as well.

Prayers and best wishes to the residents of the amazing Wawa area.

fill.jpg

Wow. What happened to the cabins? There were cabins at the end of the motel weren't there? We stayed there last year, what a great place.

i think you are thinking of another place akron, unless... you stayed there in the summer. Mo and John for the last few years are a seasonal operation from may to october. they do have cabins/chaletsm they are out back behind the building in the picture.

i talk to her a few times a week, it sounds like their flood insurance is working for them, thank god!

Ski

i think you are thinking of another place akron, unless... you stayed there in the summer. Mo and John for the last few years are a seasonal operation from may to october. they do have cabins/chaletsm they are out back behind the

building in the picture.

i talk to her a few times a week, it sounds like their flood insurance is working for them, thank god!

Ski

Good to hear.

Wow. What happened to the cabins? There were cabins at the end of the motel weren't there? We stayed there last year, what a great place.

http://www.nlmotel.com/flood.htm

Go to the web page above to get lots of info Mo has posted...........

i think you are thinking of another place akron, unless... you stayed there in the summer. Mo and John for the last few years are a seasonal operation from may to october. they do have cabins/chaletsm they are out back behind the building in the picture.

Ski

Thanks Ski. I was thinking of the Best Northern. Best of luck to all of those in the area for a complete recovery. Hope to be through in a few months to spend some of our dollars up that way.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.wawa-news1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16967:disaster-relief-on-the-way-for-wawa-&catid=41:news&Itemid=201

Disaster Relief on the Way for Wawa

McGuinty Government Helping Families and Businesses Rebuild

December 7, 2012 8:00 amMinistry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

Ontario is helping Wawa rebuild and recover from recent flood damage.

The province has committed nearly $7 million to help the community, including:

Up to $3.5 million under the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP) for emergency costs and essential infrastructure repairs.

Up to $400,000 under ODRAP for private damage costs to help affected individuals and small businesses that lost essential property in the flood.

Up to $1.5 million in capital funding for bridge replacement.

$1.5 million for provincial highway repairs in the immediate aftermath of the flood.

The McGuinty government is committed to providing emergency relief in the wake of natural disasters to help communities rebuild infrastructure and restore their local economies.

Quick Facts

The Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program helps municipalities, individuals, farmers, small businesses and non-profit organizations in designated disaster areas cover repair and rebuilding costs.

Wawa will establish a local Disaster Relief Committee to assess applications under the private component of ODRAP. Ontario will match funds raised by the committee on a 2 to 1 ratio.

Quotes

I want to thank Mayor Linda Nowicki for welcoming me to the community last month and for working so closely with us to ensure we could address Wawa’s needs. I know this funding will help Wawa’s hard-working families and local businesses rebuild what they lost. We are actively exploring other forms of provincial support that are available to the municipality, its residents and businesses. "

Bob Chiarelli

Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing

That is good news, albeit, a little slow in coming, IMO.

I saw the press release.

"McGuinty" Government Helping Families and Businesses Rebuild

Ontario Government, not McGuinty Government.

I saw the press release.

"McGuinty" Government Helping Families and Businesses Rebuild

Ontario Government, not McGuinty Government.

Excellent point especially considering his resignation.

That is good news, albeit, a little slow in coming, IMO.

Possible election coming?

• 2 months later...

"Renovated and Downsized - Compliments of Mother Nature"

feb1rooms.jpg

http://www.nlmotel.com/flood.htm

OMG that is just devasting. I cannot even imagine how they are doing. Glad that there wasn't any injuries. Hope they get looked after in some way. They say things do work out for the better and I hope like heck that is the case for them. :cry2: Thanks for posting.

So far the WawaSno-riders have recieved zero dollars for "repair and rebuilding costs". The club does not fit into the proper catagory even thou it is a "non profit orginization". The club has been very inventive with reroutes and temperary fixes to deal with the dozens of washouts on wawa trails. The club could have used some slice of the disaster relief funds as they bring alot to the local economy on less and less funding.

So far the WawaSno-riders have recieved zero dollars for "repair and rebuilding costs". The club does not fit into the proper catagory even thou it is a "non profit orginization". The club has been very inventive with reroutes and temperary fixes to deal with the dozens of washouts on wawa trails. The club could have used some slice of the disaster relief funds as they bring alot to the local economy on less and less funding.

Absolutely!

Archived