Wawa Flooding

Panther340

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!!!!

What an image.

Speechless.

That tiny litte thing. Some people have that at the end of their DRIVEWAYS..

I saw footage on CTV on the weekend. There were 2 guys standing beside the culvert before backfilling began. It wasn't as tall as them, so I'm guessing it was about 4' in dia'. I think the camera may be distorting the image. That being said, it might be a bit small. I wonder what the "normal" flow of that stream/creek is.

Earlier I posted about the Jack's Lake Rd. being washed out when a beaver dam broke. I forgot about another incident north of Bird's Creek on Hwy 62 several years ago. A dam burst washing out the road @ night. A woman in a car & tractor trailer following drove into the hole. The woman was killed. If you watch the pavement north of the Esso station, you can see where the road was rebuilt.

It's hard to understand how much water there was to deal with. It wasn't really a matter of rivers overrunning their banks or beaver dams breaking. There was water flowing everywhere and I don't think it could really be controlled or predicted.

For anyone who has been to the big bear restaurant in Hawk junction, I think this pic explains how much water fell on the ground as this huge flat area is just accumulated rain.

6e4ypubu.jpg

Finndian, how did you manage through this? Hope everything is OK.

I'm sure everyone is affected somehow. I faired well and can't complain. I'm sure the snowmobile trails will be another story. OFSC wants our trails all patrolled pictured,gpsed and multi quoted before any damage can be fixed. any time the few of us can spare will be spent getting our groomers fixed for the season. I'm sure all the trails are washed out.

Let's hope that everything returns to normal soon for your community.

Watching television last night, I was struck by the similarity between your floods and Hurricane Sandy's destruction. The Obama approach, at least on television, is interesting:

The “15-minute rule” for federal officials: “You (relief agencies) return everybody’s phone calls in 15 minutes,” Obama said at a news conference. “Whether it’s the mayors, the governors, county officials, if they need something, we figure out a way to say yes.”

Ontario's infrastructure will need repairs in your area --- are you hearing a lot of "yes" from the Ontario gov't?

The last man on Earth sat alone in a room.

There was a knock on the door.

It was a salesman!

Brings to mind a quote from near the end of the movie Second-hand Lions, "There was this one salesman ..."

:rotflmao:

I'm sure everyone is affected somehow. I faired well and can't complain. I'm sure the snowmobile trails will be another story. OFSC wants our trails all patrolled pictured,gpsed and multi quoted before any damage can be fixed. any time the few of us can spare will be spent getting our groomers fixed for the season. I'm sure all the trails are washed out.

Hey Gord, Yeah I was asked the same, after I hung up I realized... even if we go with ATV's the holes are so big we can't even makes to the other side..... as they are too steep and there is still water. D trail from Dubreuilville to Hawk is ok, only a few spots but easy to fill in with some snow. I will call you soon.

Finaly got land Phones to be able to out of town, we did not have Internet, I had to use my cell as a hotspot and run off of it, so I was limited on usage dont want a 1000 phone bill lol Will try to go out and look at the trails, wont be easy, with the snow on the ground too... it wont help...... freezing rain and heavy snow last year now flooding.

Let's hope that everything returns to normal soon for your community.

Watching television last night, I was struck by the similarity between your floods and Hurricane Sandy's destruction. The Obama approach, at least on television, is interesting:

The “15-minute rule” for federal officials: “You (relief agencies) return everybody’s phone calls in 15 minutes,” Obama said at a news conference. “Whether it’s the mayors, the governors, county officials, if they need something, we figure out a way to say yes.”

Ontario's infrastructure will need repairs in your area --- are you hearing a lot of "yes" from the Ontario gov't?

Haven't seen a single thing about McGuinty being on site to see what the province can do to help. Oh that's right he resigned and shut down government. I guess he stopped caring.

Haven't seen a single thing about McGuinty being on site to see what the province can do to help. Oh that's right he resigned and shut down government. I guess he stopped caring.

it is north he doesnt do north.

Oh he "does North" .........he does close our parks and he does close our passenger trains. and he does raise our hydro rates with his solar panels and bird basher fans .

OH he does us really hard !

Christina Blizzard (great name for a snowmobiler) writes in today's Toronto Sun about the Wawa flood and political teamwork necessary to restore the infrastructure.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/01/wawa-tries-to-recover

wow Gord! those pics are unreal! especially the big bear pic. it must have been a biblical downpour up there. i hope your house, camp, and shop are all ok...

Ski

Funny I posted this topic on HCS Ontario and people figure it will not have any impact on trails up there....

Truly devasting for those that are directly affected, there lives changed in one night

Archived