2013 Sleds on Display (Alliston, Ontario)

Canuck

I'm still praying for a 4 day weekend in Cochrane/Northern Corridor. I guess we'll see what happens. SlowTouringGal is 'hooked' on the big rides now - how do you keep them down on the farm once they have seen Parreee ? non ?

Happy to hear that I am not the only optimist in the group! :right_on:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday works best for me - I have already ordered my new sled - but it would be nice to go see it up close and personal :hyper: Need to discuss with Mr. Giddy to see what our plans are and whether or not we would be able to meet at 10AM ...... either way - I think we will be at the show at some point on Sunday :nana:

We may come join the gang on Sunday if we don't decide to put a new roof on the Garage this weekend....

We may come join the gang on Sunday if we don't decide to put a new roof on the Garage this weekend....

You keep throwing out that "garage roof" ... sounds as though you are soliciting help? I would be glad to help you swing a hammer but I am working.

Roofing is a young mans job...

I use my teeth to strip the old shingles...no problem.

I would be glad to help you swing a hammer but I am working.

Ya, sure you are. I figure with all the people you could recruit from work, we could bag it off in a hour.....so long as there's no fire to pit out ;)

Roofing is a young mans job...

I'm a young man at Heart.

Really, simple single peak Garage roof. How hard can it be?

How hard can it be?

Careful up there.

In the last few years, two of my friends have destroyed their ankles from falls of less than 3 feet (one off a chair changing a lightbulb, and the other at the end of a roofing job - missed the second last step coming down the ladder).

I'm a young man at Heart.

Really, simple single peak Garage roof. How hard can it be?

Skill wise they tell me it's not a lot but some.... slugging the shingles bundles up to the roof... and nailing them down they also tell me is tough on the back being down on your hands an knees. One person I know rented an air nailer to do theirs and claims it made an enormous difference in time and pain.

I hired a roofer. No pain at all. Well not physical, anyway.

Forgo the nailer. Easier on shingles to use old fashioned hammer and nails.

(says the city boy, lol)

(says the city boy, lol)

If you take the extra 4 seconds to adjust the depth setting on the nailer there is no stress on the shingles.

Still and all SJ's approach does have some merit !

A couple of years ago when the roofer asked if I wanted 25 or 35 or 40 year shingles applied I said, "Let's put some money in the Beer Fund and go for 10 year shingles - anything over that is going to be the STK's problem".

If you need flashing or ice shield, can be tricky. If you do your own roof, insurance is voided if it leaks, unless you are a licensed roofer.Fiberglass shingles do last upwards of 30 years. They put an an sealant adhesive inbrtween each shingle, to endure they seal properly. You get what you pay for. Good luck

Is anyone bringing their wifes along to this thing? Mine wants to go to.

should have said you were goin to princess auto....

To help with the shingles?

No but if I had said I was going to crappy tire then I could have pulled it off.

To help with the shingles?

Lol....no.

(says the city boy, lol)

I would invest in a shingle hammer. $20. It has a square head with a grid that enables better contact with the nail. The opposite end with the notches helps line up rows of shingles.

post-19713-0-21230500-1331893230_thumb.j

You can also use it as a meat tenderizer when you're finished the roof.

Tip. If using Grace Ice and Water Shield, use leather gloves, not vinyl as instructed.

That doesn't work for me... my wife sometimes enjoys princess auto

That doesn't work for me... my wife sometimes enjoys princess auto

Mine too. Pre Father's Day, my birthday, Christmas. "Do you have one of these?" :lol:

Wow, so much support for shingles, not the kind STG has.

I have done roofing before. I have an air roofing nailer and my helper has a second, so we should be able to knock this off fairly quickly. Its a simple single peak roof, no flashing required.

SJ, give it up, you can't sled this weekend. You want to go for a long drive, come help!!

I'll take some before and after photos ;)

On my way to pickup 3000lbs of shingles (again not STG's version), 5000 nails and some underlay.

SJ, give it up, you can't sled this weekend. You want to go for a long drive, come help!!

I am still holding out hope for Wawa, but after the PM from FINNDIAN the other day, that hope is fading pretty fast.

Sorry, I can't help with the roofing unless you can put the roof on the ground! I don't do ladders!!! :oops:

I guess it will have to be off to Innisfil Sunday morning to Hot Lips? ,,,, NO! Hot Cakes? .... NO! Hot Stacks! That is it! Hot Stacks! Where the ____ is Hot Stacks???

:rotflmao:

Archived