Looking for a good way to secure a trailer

Fred Quimby

I have a Triton trailer with the tilt and flip up lid. I secure the tongue with a Steal Shield which is pretty solid as far as preventing anybody from "hooking up". Just wondering what you guys with similar trailers are doing to secure the trailer from opening? I have in the past locked the lid from the sides with a padlock (where the pins insert) but also have had that freeze up and end up having to cut the lock off to open the lid. Just looking to add additional security.

A lock only keeps a honest man out...had the same trailer and was doing the same as u,until I wasnt fit to get in with the frozen lock,what i did drilled another hole above the pin hole but the hole above only went thru the cap put a lock on and thru the key away...looks as if it is locked but really not, never had any problem's.

I used to lock it with a padlock, like you do. Kept the lock lubed and always kept a small butane torch in the truck. Also had a spare lock in the truck.

If it froze, usually the torch would open it fairly quickly, otherwise a bottle of warm water would let me open it. After the water, I would switch locks and when I returned home, dry out the lock that had frozen and relube.

Although not designed for the back of a Triton, the coupler latch will fit the bill. You may also find the same freezing problem - less likely if you remove them when trailering, but it still happens. I've used the last one on this list.

But I like Lep's idea !!

http://www.canadiant...n.jsp?locale=en

http://www.canadiant...h.jsp?locale=en

The receiver lock in this set is also sold separately

http://www.canadiant...t.jsp?locale=en

There it is

http://www.canadiant...h.jsp?locale=en

Big stickers that say smith and wesson!

Artic Cat and Yamaha work well also....

You have to take the locks off when you trailer and put them back on when you have it sitting.

Yeah for sure..I never have traveled with any locks on. Even just a pin through the coupler. I know locks just keep the honest out..but I am looking to slow down anybody so they may figure it is too much a hassle and not worth spending the time on VS getting caught.

STG...the last lock you posted the link to..can you snug it up enough to prevent a set of bolt cutters from getting a bite on them? I was thinking this route too.

Artic Cat and Yamaha work well also....

I was thinking a big Polaris decal...who would bother then? Probably leave me a new doo in sympathy! LOL.

Yeah for sure..I never have traveled with any locks on. Even just a pin through the coupler. I know locks just keep the honest out..but I am looking to slow down anybody so they may figure it is too much a hassle and not worth spending the time on VS getting caught.

STG...the last lock you posted the link to..can you snug it up enough to prevent a set of bolt cutters from getting a bite on them? I was thinking this route too.

Three swings with a hammer and it is gone. At best you are making things difficult enough so that they steal someone elses.

I was thinking a big Polaris decal...who would bother then? Probably leave me a new doo in sympathy! LOL.

With a note saying fix this one and I'll bring the polaris back? That isoflex grease is expensive!

Three swings with a hammer and it is gone. At best you are making things difficult enough so that they steal someone elses.

That is the plan. Stall them long enough and make it a hassle so they move on.

U need a bigger hammer.....dont treat it as if your working on a AC or Yamaha :nana:

The ultimate theft deterrent is a Ski-doo logo on the side of the trailer.

Just sayin'

:-D:icon_dance-cpatch:

Just sayin'

I can make those!!! Should I go in the security business????

when i trailer, i use carabiners in the locking holes (no one will try to steal it when you are moving LOL!) when we stop, i pull a carabiner off and put a warm dry lock in place. (even if we just stop for dinner). then when we travel again, i pull the lock, and put the carabiners in place. best thing to do is keep the locks lubed, and dry them out and re-lube when the get wet or frozen.

if you have to travel with locks in place, get covered or sealed locks or a couple of pieces of electrical tape over the key hole does wonders. ski

Use a large Eye Bolt on insideinside go thru the frame, tack the nut, get a hardened chain and lock. Lock is out of the weather plus you can use the lock on the rear. If you get a hardened chain you can't cut it with bolt cutters.

if it is locked, there must be something valuable! I think this is what the the thief will think and just cut a hole in the side. They are pretty thin! I resolved myself to leave it unlocked.

I use a Brinks lock that has built in cover for the shackle so bolt cutters can't get a grip.

Still freezes occasionally, nature of the season.

Making it more difficult is best you can expect.

These are decent locks. Just undo the nut on the coupler and remove the coupler insert and instal a new one. (mine are welded)

Just sayin'

Actually, an even better choice would be a Yamaha logo...the weight scares 'em off before they even bother trying to get into the trailer.

Just sayin'

:poke2::icon_tinykitball:

:wavey:

Archived