Looking for a good way to secure a trailer

Fred Quimby

I just put stickers on mine saying Steve's junk removal service. No one will even bother with it.

I use a Brinks lock that has built in cover for the shackle so bolt cutters can't get a grip.

Still freezes occasionally, nature of the season.

Making it more difficult is best you can expect.

I was looking at the lock on the right. I don't think it is deep enough to fit through the holes where the cab meets the frame of the trailer (where the pins insert). I do like the quality of that lock and I have other Brinks locks that are really good. Personally I have not had the best luck with "master" brand locks.

I was looking at the lock on the right. I don't think it is deep enough to fit through the holes where the cab meets the frame of the trailer (where the pins insert). I do like the quality of that lock and I have other Brinks locks that are really good. Personally I have not had the best luck with "master" brand locks.

Probably right about that I use the 1 on the left it fits fine, 1 on each side. No standard bolt cutters are getting thru the shielded shackle.

I rounded off the bolts as well so not impossible to defeat but certainly time consuming.

The 1 on the right I use for the shed doors.

Probably right about that I use the 1 on the left it fits fine, 1 on each side. No standard bolt cutters are getting thru the shielded shackle.

I rounded off the bolts as well so not impossible to defeat but certainly time consuming.

The 1 on the right I use for the shed doors.

They look like quality locks. I have a Brinks boron lock for my small outboard and it is not only a solid lock, but it even feels heavy too. I like their design. I do also have a shielded master lock that is tough as nails but it was also almost eighty bucks too.

if it is locked, there must be something valuable! I think this is what the the thief will think and just cut a hole in the side. They are pretty thin! I resolved myself to leave it unlocked.

I agree,

I would leave the trailer open and lock the sleds to the trailer in multiple places...not freezing locks. you could also lock the sleds together and further create a hassle.

When we would travel with the bikes in the winter time we use a pin switch, car battery ,a solar pannel with a cheap car alarm siren when you would open the door on the enclosed the pin switch completed a circuit to the siren and the battery would power it...whole thing cost less than you would imagine and I am sure you could rig it up for the trailer you have. PM me if you need a hand with it

I agree,

I would leave the trailer open and lock the sleds to the trailer in multiple places...not freezing locks. you could also lock the sleds together and further create a hassle.

When we would travel with the bikes in the winter time we use a pin switch, car battery ,a solar pannel with a cheap car alarm siren when you would open the door on the enclosed the pin switch completed a circuit to the siren and the battery would power it...whole thing cost less than you would imagine and I am sure you could rig it up for the trailer you have. PM me if you need a hand with it

Thanks Crackher. That is a great deterrent. I have been toying with all sorts if ideas about security. I have a boron lock and motorcycle chain set that I am going to use to lock the sleds together, then I have the Superclamps on the front with a lock (I know not super secure..but it will slow somebody down), then I have a steal shield on the tongue and the hitch is welded on so it can't be unbolted. I think the finale is the alarm. Anybody willing to go through all that and spend the time is a pure fool. There are many other easy targets!

Steal the whole sled, trailer etc I'll do my best to deter it but if determined take 'em away.

Leaving trailer unlocked I'm afraid I return to the trailer to find whatever part the scumbag wanted is gone but carcass is still there.

I use a Brinks lock that has built in cover for the shackle so bolt cutters can't get a grip.

Still freezes occasionally, nature of the season.

Making it more difficult is best you can expect.

No one uses bolt cutters anymore.

Nothing will stop a $80 cordless disk grinder.

Just sayin.

That is why I like boron. It is really tough to cut even with a grinder. You need a spare disc at least.

There are no preventions only deterents..but I firmly believe that with something in place you will stop the basic simple minded thief out there who is looking for an opprotunity. If you make it more difficult. Either visible or not the deterent will be effective. Nothing is 100% we all know that, but lets be honest I think the majority of us do lock our front doors when we leave for work right? Well people can kick that door in, pick the lock, drill the lock whatever but that does not mean you do not lock the door

I think most rip offs are done on opportunity. Somebody looking for a quick grab sees a trailer with no lock, sleds loaded and it becomes an easy grab and go. I think that the margin is low for theft when somebody really has to work on stealing your trailer, truck or sled. I would think when they encounter two or three locks and some other theft deterrent such as an alarm..it becomes too time consuming and risky for getting caught.

I follow Fred's strategy of providing a deterrent realizing that if a thief really wants my trailer, sleds or truck, they will find a way to get it.

I too have an enclosed Tritton. The first time I used it I locked the front access door using the manufacturer supplied lock and installed padlocks through the two rear pinholes. I had nothing in the trailer (weight should have been a clue to the crooks) yet when I returned the padlocks had been cut off with bolt cutters and discarded on the ground. Ironically the theives smashed off the front access door turn handle but didn't have success getting in the front door.

I now leave the trailer unlocked and instead focus on an elaborate system of locking the sleds to each other or the trailer to thwart the thieves. The more time it takes to steal something, the better the chance they may move on to an easier target.

Good luck.

Archived