North Bay to Shining Tree - Pic Links Added

AkronOrange

Just got back from two days of great riding. We started at the Waltonian (nice people and very good food)near North Bay intending to do some riding of the North Bay area. On Friday we set out for lunch at the Sportsman with the intention of returning the the Watontian after lunch. We had a very good ride to the Sportsman, the trails were in very nice shape, the snow was a bit thin in places.

During lunch we began talking with George at the Sportsman and told him our trip plans and that our original plan was to ride to Shining Tree but because of the lack of snow in some areas we changed our plans. George let us know that all of the trails on his end were groomed to Shining Tree and got right on the phone and called Kelly at 3 Bears, next thing we knew we were on our way to Shining Tree. The ride was good, the snow was a bit thin in places and some signs were not up, but we knew our way and made it the 105 miles in about 3.5 hours.

3 Bears didn't have any vacancy for us (they are looking for gold near Shining Tree so they were full of miners) so Kelly called Spruce Shilling Camp and they warmed a cabin for us. If you want a more rustic experience than you might get at the Hyatt 3 Bears, try Spruce Shilling. We had a great evening at 3 Bears, ate too much steak and drank too much beer, it's the same every time we go.

It was very cold on Saturday morning, -25, we got the sleds started with some trouble and headed to 3 Bears for breakfast. We were a quiet group in morning, not like the night before (did I mention we drank too much beer?) didn't have much to eat and settled up on our tabs for gas, food and beer.

We headed off back to the Waltonian at about 10:30 and arrived safely at about 6:00. We rode 430 miles, overall the trails were good, like always the people were great. I can't say enough about how nice and accomadating both George and Kelly were in helping us get to Shining Tree. These type of people are all over Northern Ontario and the always make our riding experiences complete.

My link

My link

Get out there and ride safely,

3 Bears didn't have any vacancy for us (they are looking for gold near Shining Tree so they were full of miners) so Kelly called Spruce Shilling Camp and they warmed a cabin for us. If you want a more rustic experience than you might get at the Hyatt 3 Bears, try Spruce Shilling.

Good news for the north. There's lots of old mine sites in the Shining Tree/Gowganda area.

Hey Akron, was it the Sportsmans Inn on Kukagami Lake that you stopped at???

Just got back from two days of great riding. We started at the Waltonian (nice people and very good food)near North Bay intending to do some riding of the North Bay area. On Friday we set out for lunch at the Sportsman with the intention of returning the the Watontian after lunch. We had a very good ride to the Sportsman, the trails were in very nice shape, the snow was a bit thin in places.

During lunch we began talking with George at the Sportsman and told him our trip plans and that our original plan was to ride to Shining Tree but because of the lack of snow in some areas we changed our plans. George let us know that all of the trails on his end were groomed to Shining Tree and got right on the phone and called Kelly at 3 Bears, next thing we knew we were on our way to Shining Tree. The ride was good, the snow was a bit thin in places and some signs were not up, but we knew our way and made it the 105 miles in about 3.5 hours.

Your ride sounds great. What kind of trails is it to Shinning Tree? Is it all hydro line trails or lots of bush riding?

Hey Akron,

Thanks for the report!

We have a trip booked for next weeked up that way but have been getting a little nervous to say the least.

Which sections of trail were the worst around Shinning Tree?

If someone hasn't been that way before, with maps would we be ok without the signage?

Thanks,

Hey Akron, was it the Sportsmans Inn on Kukagami Lake that you stopped at???

Yes. If you're doing the ride ask George at the Sportsman for help with contacting kelly at 3 Bears, they'll work something out for you.

Your ride sounds great. What kind of trails is it to Shinning Tree? Is it all hydro line trails or lots of bush riding?

It's some of both, some gravel road and some old rail beds. After leaving the North Bay area we took AD to D to the C206D then 78 across to C206D again to C right into Shining Tree. Much is hydro with a detour into the bush once in a while. C206D and 78 were a mixture of roads and bush riding. There was a fair amount of traffic so the trails should have be packed for any trips.

Hey Akron,

Thanks for the report!

We have a trip booked for next weeked up that way but have been getting a little nervous to say the least.

Which sections of trail were the worst around Shinning Tree?

If someone hasn't been that way before, with maps would we be ok without the signage?

Thanks,

If you haven't been that way before, be very careful if the signs are not posted. Stop at Sportsman and ask George to mark the way on your map and let him know you're going to Shining Tree, they'll watch for you, and if you don't show up they will come and look for you. You don't want to be stuck in the northern Ontario wilderness at night when "-it's way too f*#@%ng cold". There are several turns you need to make and it's 100 miles from Sportsman to 3 Bears, not too much room for error on most of today's sleds. If you think you're up to it, leave early and if you're not sure you want to risk it, stay at the Sportsman for the night or go back to where you came from. Don't get me wrong, I encourage you and everyone else to venture out and ride great northern Ontario, but I want it to be safely. If you have any questions please PM me.

Have a great ride where ever you go.

It's some of both, some gravel road and some old rail beds. After leaving the North Bay area we took AD to D to the C206D then 78 across to C206D again to C right into Shining Tree. Much is hydro with a detour into the bush once in a while. C206D and 78 were a mixture of roads and bush riding. There was a fair amount of traffic so the trails should have be packed for any trips.

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is a shame you were riding on closed OFSC trail. People (resort owners) should know better. It is a shame that someone would send you out purposely to trespass........

Akron,

Great report. Thanks for posting.

see attached.....

Great Report AO! Thanks!

Great report , all the resorts and trails in the TATA area seem to be a good time , Wheres the pics ?

MM

Don't shoot the messenger, but it is a shame you were riding on closed OFSC trail. People (resort owners) should know better. It is a shame that someone would send you out purposely to trespass........

It is a shame. You're right we shouldn't trespass and I should drive 100 kmh on the 400, no more than 50 kmh on the trail and whatever we do; don't tear the tags off of our mattresses.

We should keep all of our trail dollars within the district in which they were sold and just screw the other guy. It is the American way.

Thanks for the input hope you ride safely within the district where ever it is you come from...

You didnt go over 50 KPH on the C -Trail heading to Shining Tree did you ? :rotflmao:

It is a shame. You're right we shouldn't trespass and I should drive 100 kmh on the 400, no more than 50 kmh on the trail and whatever we do; don't tear the tags off of our mattresses.

We should keep all of our trail dollars within the district in which they were sold and just screw the other guy. It is the American way.

Thanks for the input hope you ride safely within the district where ever it is you come from...

If it were Southern Ontario and you were on Private Land, then yes, you could be accused of Trespass. In Northern Ontario, on Crown Land, if the trail is marked closed, then it's still Crown Land, and anybody can use it. Once it's declared "OPEN" or "LIMITED" then you require a permit.

BP

If it were Southern Ontario and you were on Private Land, then yes, you could be accused of Trespass. In Northern Ontario, on Crown Land, if the trail is marked closed, then it's still Crown Land, and anybody can use it. Once it's declared "OPEN" or "LIMITED" then you require a permit.

BP

Thanks BP. We certainly didn't mean to trespass and the trails had been groomed about halfway to Shining Tree from The Sportsman, and most importantly we had no intention to do anything malicious. Our goal is to enjoy ourselves (which we did) and to support the northern economy (which we did).

Ride safe everyone...

That is a road across crown land, no trespassng happened.

Wow, This thread really turned to s*#^t............All I can say is, I was there, I was trail boss, I rode on a closed trail at the end of January in the middle of nowhere, and I would do it all over again :woot: It was a great ride and we had wonderfull hosts :grin:if the local clubs get a couple signs up the trail would be open, cross your fingers so they go up soon for those that are sitting at home waiting :right_on:

Archived