OFSC Glitch

SlowTouringGuy

Screen Shots taken just a few moments ago.

From Iphone............ Shows the D Trail as "green" from the south end of trail 37 northbound past 50 and 84.........

DTrailPhoto1.png

Then...................Shows D Trail continuing North past 84 through 86 and 83 and right on up to the Seguin.....

DTrailPhoto2.png

ALL GREEN !! wHOO hOOOO !!!

Wait a minute ! If you're a Laptop or Desktop User - this is the screen you see ...........

DTrailLaptop.jpg

Does that look like YELLOW to you from the north end of 37 all the way to the Seguin ????

There is enough wrong with this darn system including deleting all of the previous years' good information instead of running parallel but now we get conflicting data depending on the method one uses to access the site?? icon_exclaim.gif:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Wait until LandOwners have sledders crossing their "closed" trails because one of these information points says they are "open".

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not to mention the length of time it takes to load. THEN you need to zoom in :banghead:

if the trail is NOT groomed it should be an indication to anyone with a half a brain the trail is not open and also club should have closed trail signs in that area if it is indeed closed

if the trail is NOT groomed it should be an indication to anyone with a half a brain the trail is not open and also club should have closed trail signs in that area if it is indeed closed

I'm not sure what you are saying FB. Forget what you can see by looking at the trail. .....

If you are planning a trip and want to use the Interactive Trail Map to assist you in your planning... look at the Iphone App and look at the laptop you get two different messages. One says Green and one says Yellow. WTF is with that ??? :wtf:

Frustrating! Hopefully, they'll get these things worked out soon. :wtf::wtf:

Did you foward this on to the OFSC? Because this is the type of bugs they need to know about.

Did you foward this on to the OFSC? Because this is the type of bugs they need to know about.

Why bother. We've been told repeatedly that the only way to interact with the OFSC is to bring it up at the AGM. :-P :razz: :-P

Why bother. We've been told repeatedly that the only way to interact with the OFSC is to bring it up at the AGM. :-P :razz: :-P

:coffeespit::rotflmao:

Do you want some help with the wording of your motion? :mrgreen:

And as for seconders...the line forms here... :-P

Did the OFSC do a test drive of the interactive map before it was lauched????

We need an @2x, stat!

screenshot20110122at204.png

Yes!!!...I'm sure that's exactly what STG was thinking, but forgot to mention... :wacko:

:-P

I'm not sure what you are saying FB. Forget what you can see by looking at the trail. .....

If you are planning a trip and want to use the Interactive Trail Map to assist you in your planning... look at the Iphone App and look at the laptop you get two different messages. One says Green and one says Yellow. WTF is with that ??? :wtf:

talking about pissing off landowners that was mentioned in my quote :rolleyes:

Wait until LandOwners have sledders crossing their "closed" trails because one of these information points says they are "open".

I hear what you are saying ,you are at home look at your PC and see the green light to get so you drive 3-4hrs and then double check on your Iphone and find different conditions report on that "guide"

LOL, I've used the contact us link before on the website and did get an email back. They still couldn't help me out but atleast I knew there was a warm body at the other end reading emails. :coffeespit:

Its funny to see this error, what it tells me as there are 2 systems at work here. One gives data to the website trail guide and one gives data to the iPhone app. Because if it was a single database suppling the data for both systems this error would have never happened. So if some one is having to update 2 database its actaully going to be harder to keep data up todate than the old text bases system, which means even more room for human error. Starting to sound like we have gone backwards not forward with this system.

Yes!!!...I'm sure that's exactly what STG was thinking, but forgot to mention... :wacko:

Just thought I'd point it out to assist the developer when he reads this thread. I'm sure it was accidentally missed. As an iPhone developer myself, I very much appreciate the users who take a few minutes out of their day to point out the little things that can make my app better. It is only right that I do the same in turn. :)

So if some one is having to update 2 database its actaully going to be harder to keep data up todate than the old text bases system

The text based system was a convoluted mess. The club had to raise a motion to determine the status of the trail, whose decision was forwarded on to the district manager who alerted the OFSC of the change, which was then voted on at the AGM. Okay, so I am somewhat joking, but it really did have to go through many hands just to make it on the website. Updating two databases is a lot easier and less error prone than that!

However, just because the data is out of sync does not mean that there are two databases. There might be, for example, a caching system that is not successfully invalidating.

FYI, in Dec I sent an email to the OFSC about a "Text Trail Status" accompanying their "Visual/Interactive Trail Status" but was told by Craig Nicholson, their communications guy, that due to risk management and inconsistencies, that was not viable anymore.... It's a sad day when 99.99% of club members get vetoed by the 0.01% who will sue because of their own stupidity. Whatever happened to being responsible and accountable for your own actions? If this kind of mentality keeps growing, we won't be able to do much outside of our homes anymore. Just my $.02 worth...

It's a sad day when 99.99% of club members get vetoed by the 0.01% who will sue because of their own stupidity. Whatever happened to being responsible and accountable for your own actions? If this kind of mentality keeps growing, we won't be able to do much outside of our homes anymore. Just my $.02 worth...

X2

Isn't that the whole point of the new "entry" signs? You ride the trails, you're on your own as fair as I'm concerned.

Its a $%%%en JOKE what has been going on the last few years,now I am listening to $hit all over the radio about permits etc who is paying for this and commercials what the $%%%%.that costs big $$$ to have on gobal,ctv etc along with the radio,our permit dollars at work i sure dont see it on the trail where it belongs,the AGM i haven attended for some time there is a reason for that,MOST $hit has been decided upon before any of us HARD WORKING VOLUNTEERS show up,its turning into one big joke,and committee after comittee to explain hrtow to wipe your a$$,come on OFSC we have got it this far built one of the best trail systems in the world all to be taking apart by this NEW AGE BULL$HIT.I can tell U one thing the joke will be on the OFSC in 10 yrs time when we are left with nothing.I know they come hear to read there has been some great and not so great ideas and all we here,is take it to the AGM,we talk about some clubs being old boys club,well I have a different veiw the OFSC if is on top of that to now.If they dont start looking down the road getting new people involved YOUNG BLOOD we will have nothing in 10/15 yrs time,next time your at your club/district meeting take a moment and look around,i have a funny feeling u may see what i am seeing we are getting pretty old and where's the young blood.

Going to take the family for a ride today and enjoy the smiles and memories as it may come to a end down the road.

Its a $%%%en JOKE what has been going on the last few years,now I am listening to $hit all over the radio about permits etc who is paying for this and commercials what the $%%%%.that costs big $$$ to have on gobal,ctv etc along with the radio,our permit dollars at work i sure dont see it on the trail where it belongs,the AGM i haven attended for some time there is a reason for that,MOST $hit has been decided upon before any of us HARD WORKING VOLUNTEERS show up,its turning into one big joke,and committee after comittee to explain hrtow to wipe your a$$,come on OFSC we have got it this far built one of the best trail systems in the world all to be taking apart by this NEW AGE BULL$HIT.I can tell U one thing the joke will be on the OFSC in 10 yrs time when we are left with nothing.I know they come hear to read there has been some great and not so great ideas and all we here,is take it to the AGM,we talk about some clubs being old boys club,well I have a different veiw the OFSC if is on top of that to now.If they dont start looking down the road getting new people involved YOUNG BLOOD we will have nothing in 10/15 yrs time,next time your at your club/district meeting take a moment and look around,i have a funny feeling u may see what i am seeing we are getting pretty old and where's the young blood.

Going to take the family for a ride today and enjoy the smiles and memories as it may come to a end down the road.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Does that look like YELLOW to you from the north end of 37 all the way to the Seguin ????

I've noticed that inconsistency for a few weeks now. Frankly, the iPhone app is a joke and it didn't surprise me to see data inconstancies between it and the website after actually trying to use the app on the side of the trails. It's a handy reference, but usability is a 2/10.

My guess is that the website version is data backed by a closed system. On the company's blog ( http://www.mapsherpa.com/discover/news/ontario-federation-of-snowmobile-clubs-partners-with-mapsherpa/ ), they don't mention anything about the iPhone app, so they're probably not affiliated in any way.

Whoever the OFSC commissioned to write the iPhone app likely had to create a parallel system, and updates probably have to be pushed to both points separately now. I'm sure it was the cheapest way to get the job done. Just another reason to love the OFSC!

I've noticed that inconsistency for a few weeks now. Frankly, the iPhone app is a joke and it didn't surprise me to see data inconstancies between it and the website after actually trying to use the app on the side of the trails. It's a handy reference, but usability is a 2/10.

My guess is that the website version is data backed by a closed system. On the company's blog ( http://www.mapsherpa...with-mapsherpa/ ), they don't mention anything about the iPhone app, so they're probably not affiliated in any way.

Whoever the OFSC commissioned to write the iPhone app likely had to create a parallel system, and updates probably have to be pushed to both points separately now. I'm sure it was the cheapest way to get the job done. Just another reason to love the OFSC!

Interesting, alewcock, thanks for the post.

So......if you had to trust one over the other are you saying the PC shot is going to give me more accurate information than the iPhone shot ?

Frankly, the iPhone app is a joke

I believe the old OFSC saying is: If you have time to complain, you have time to help. Let us take them up on that and help build a better trails app. I've got the statuses overlaid on Google Maps working. Have pinching, zooming, and whatnot working including iPad support. It is far from complete, but then again, I've only spent like an hour working on it. ;)

iPhone

trails.png

iPad

trailsipad.png

What do we all want to see in the mobile version? I am somewhat limited in what I can do because we are limited to the information made available by the clubs, but we could incorporate some OC-specific features like find the nearest OC member and stuff like that. :)

I believe the old OFSC saying is: If you have time to complain, you have time to help. Let us take them up on that and help build a better trails app. I've got the statuses overlaid on Google Maps working. Have pinching, zooming, and whatnot working including iPad support. It is far from complete, but then again, I've only spent like an hour working on it. ;)

iPhone

trails.png

iPad

trailsipad.png

What do we all want to see in the mobile version?

Great Start!

Archived