OFSC Glitch

SlowTouringGuy

The interactive guide has been down all weekend. Maybe we do need to build a better backend system too?

I saw this too. Thought it might had been a problem on my end but i guess not. It will now load some things about half the time. I just kept reloading the page until I was able to get the information I needed. You are right, something needs to be done here. The week end is not the time to have the guide go down.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maple. Last winter clubs were directed to GPS their trails as part of this whole system. Trails change year to year due to permission issues/ logging/highway building etc. Club were further directed to /if chages were made, re-GPS their system and the appropriate amendments were to be made.

I guess the real difference between paper and cyber is the apparent ability to amend...but the amendments are not forthcoming as quickly as most had hoped.

That's fine if the club has advance warning of changes. But what if they find out after the snow flies that they have to reroute trail(s)?

That's fine if the club has advance warning of changes. But what if they find out after the snow flies that they have to reroute trail(s)?

You are right and we did.The GPS work was done LAST March... We lose trails in Sept/Oct and bingo.Many many clubs are in the same boat.

This system was to solve the printed map being out of date the minute it was issued.

You are right and we did.The GPS work was done LAST March... We lose trails in Sept/Oct and bingo.Many many clubs are in the same boat.

This system was to solve the printed map being out of date the minute it was issued.

Once the season commences & the trails are GPSed (is that a word?) any changes should be sent to Red Pine immediately to update the GPS file. There shouldn't be a limit to the number of updates sent out to buyers of the OFSC GPS file. If not people will be hesitant to fork over 80 bucks for something that isn't much better than the paper "trail guides".

I saw this too. Thought it might had been a problem on my end but i guess not. It will now load some things about half the time. I just kept reloading the page until I was able to get the information I needed. You are right, something needs to be done here. The week end is not the time to have the guide go down.

Has no one at the OFSC used technology before? Another reason they should have run parallel ! If the system goes down there would be tried and true back-up.

Instead, I can't download a map and I can't go to a trail conditions section for text reports. So, do I cancel this week's hotel reservations? Do I re-route the trip and book somewhere else? Unthinking lack of preparedness.

Is "unthinking" a word?

We are sitting in a restuarant last Sunday afternoon and I'm watching sleds run up the east side of the highway wondering where they were going? Must of moved the trail! Vooodooo pulls out his trusty whatever wireless GPS thingy and says yeap, there it is...No Matt, that's the old trail showing on your fancy wireless GPS new fangled thingy.

No re-route showing on the OFSC Interactive Map??

I'm going back to native guides/smoke signals/moss and the white rodent! :icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh:

Is "unthinking" a word?

We are sitting in a restuarant last Sunday afternoon and I'm watching sleds run up the east side of the highway wondering where they were going? Must of moved the trail! Vooodooo pulls out his trusty whatever wireless GPS thingy and says yeap, there it is...No Matt, that's the old trail showing on your fancy wireless GPS new fangled thingy.

I'm going back to native guides/smoke signals/moss and the white rodent! :icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh::icon_doh:

WOW talk about leaving themselves open for a lawsuit :banghead:

Has no one at the OFSC used technology before? Another reason they should have run parallel ! If the system goes down there would be tried and true back-up.

Does it even matter anymore? After the CRTC's bandwidth cap ruling last week, only the richest kings and Bell executives have the finances required to visit the OFSC website. :angry-smiley-005:

Is "unthinking" a word?

In the dictionary after "unseening".

post-19781-0-91119000-1296445240_thumb.jpg

Is "unthinking" a word?

No I get lost sometimes too!

Taken from the OFSC main page :(

Temporary Service Interruptions: Due to technical difficulties, the interactive trail guide viewer (trail status reports) may experience temporary service interruptions. Your patience is appreciated.

This is sure making trip planning difficult. The Quebec site does not load a on a mac to boot. :confused:

Temporary Service Interruptions: THANK YOU SlowTouringGuy from OntarioConditions.com for notifying us of a technical glitch, the interactive trail guide viewer (trail status reports) may experience temporary service interruptions and may not be correct either. Your patience is appreciated and THANK YOU again SlowTouringGuy.

Is how it should have read :)

The Interactive Guide has no Risk pop up today and is fast today! Nice job.

Delete your cookies and it will come back. :) It always has remembered your acceptance though, that's nothing new.

No I have been forced to accept it every visit, both at work and home.

Maple. Last winter clubs were directed to GPS their trails as part of this whole system. Trails change year to year due to permission issues/ logging/highway building etc. Club were further directed to /if chages were made, re-GPS their system and the appropriate amendments were to be made.

I guess the real difference between paper and cyber is the apparent ability to amend...but the amendments are not forthcoming as quickly as most had hoped.

Faceman, if this change had happened over the last couple of years it wouldn't be so bad. However, this reroute has been in effect for well over five years!

Weird. I only saw it on a few occasions. Must have been a bug in there somewhere.

I have only had it intermittently, as well. Usually after either clearing cookies or a browser update.

I have only had it intermittently, as well. Usually after either clearing cookies or a browser update.

Maybe Reved has been putting his browser into private browsing mode, if you know what I'm saying... :icon_naughty:

... and what I'm saying is that private browsing mode wouldn't save his cookies. :)

Archived