Opening to Halfway Haven - a little story

FINNDIAN

For those who are interested in what's involved in opening a trail, I took a few pics this time.

Since I had an extra day off with New Years, I figured it was a good

oportunity to have a little spare time to open the D trail to Halfway

Haven.

Dec 31 I headed out in the afternoon to pack the Rocky hill heading up

from Mcphail Dam with the Br 180.

Then I returned to the groomer garage and picked up the Tucker and drag

and groomed all the way to Anjigami and back to McPhail dam where I left

it for the night. About 6 hours invested and it would be easy going as far

as Anjigami the next morning.

Jan 1, -25c Pack up my gear like I'm going winter camping and once the sun comes up at around 830, off to load up with a load

of pallets and a few cans of fuel.

P1010001.jpg

NOticed lots of tracks on the road in the fresh snow overnight.

A large pack of wolves traveled about 5 miles on the road.

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

their still there.

P1010004.jpg

And both units started. Just warmed up the Br so it might start later.(not a good cold starter)

P1010007.jpg

More Tracks

A cow and calf checked out the groomer not too much after I left as the trail hadn't hardened yet

and was rock hard now.

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

Clean all the brush off and get ready to pile on the pallets.

P1010008.jpg

I try to work slow when its cold out so I don't overheat but took a break when all 13 were loaded on

P1010009.jpg

And I'm off 10:30 am. Makin good time on the trail I groomed the night before.

P1010010.jpg

The trail is set like concrete and sparkling like diamonds in the sun.

P1010014.jpg

The first water hazard after Anjigami. I was pleased to see the pond had gone down on the far

end and was frozen solid.

P1010016.jpg

A few strategically placed pallets and

P1010017.jpg

it's a trail

P1010018.jpg

I think there are 10-12 obstacles like this on the South D trail. I took pictures of a couple.

This is one that needs some time plowing snow into. Probably 6 feet deep and 15-20 ft across.

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

smoothed over

P1010023.jpg

YOu really gotta know where the trail goes as it's hard to tell sometimes

P1010024.jpg

looking back

P1010031.jpg

looking forward

P1010033.jpg

A few more

P1010029.jpg

P1010030.jpg

The driveshaft always looks cool when it's cold out.

P1010019.jpg

This was a shoddy ATV bridge that partially collapsed. Not too pretty but the next pass on the

way home improved it a bit. A little more snow and it'll dissapear too.

P1020034.jpg

There were a few more after that but it was dark.

Arrived at halfway around 8pm at -25c

Some great food, a few beers and a good nights sleep and 365liters of fuel later and it was time

to head back.

A lot less work on the way back just laying down a nice hard trail

P1020036.jpg

P1020038.jpg

A sucessful trip and arrived back around 8 pm

For those who are interested in what's involved in opening a trail, I took a few pics this time.

A cow and calf checked out the groomer not too much after I left as the trail hadn't hardened yet

and was rock hard now.

YOu really gotta know where the trail goes as it's hard to tell sometimes

I went out w/ 1 of the Paudash groomers a couple of weeks ago when they broke 1 of the trails. Pretty slow going in spots. We also saw fresh moose tracks on our trail about an hour after we turned around & were headed back. It walked quite a ways on our trail.

The operator normally didn't groom the trail we were on so I had to help him a bit on the the hydro line as to which side of the ROW the trail went.

Finally, great pics. I think TOP D south of there is on our "to do list" some year. We rode in to Wawa from Manitouwadge last winter & back up to Hornepayne the next day.

Excellent Pics , your hard work will be enjoyed by all , I would like to make it up your way once this winter to run that hydro line :D

What great pix! Really appreciate the time you put in as well as letting us see the massive amount of work needed so we can enjoy the ride - thanks! Haven't been able to make it to your area for a few years but are hoping for a March ride this year.

Great Pics and story. Sure drives the point home. Thanks.

Some interesting information in there (365 litres one-way) and some nice pix, too, of a trail I thoroughly enjoyed riding.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

After a round trip to HH, what kind of maintenance is required on the equipment ?

Great Pics and story. Sure drives the point home. Thanks.

Ditto...thanks for your hard work, Jonesy. We're finally going to make it up to wawa this season, so I'm looking forward to that leg of trail between Halfway and Wawa.

Great story and pics, Gord. Can't wait to ride the trail, we arrive in Wawa in 5 weeks. That long distance pic of the ribbon of trail going through the power lines makes me drool. Much thanks to you and the other volunteers that put so much work into some of the best trails in Ontario. It is one of the main reasons we make a 11 hour each way drive every year to ride your area. Always the highlight of the season. Can't wait to be back.

A wonderful story.

Also looking forward to returning.

Thanks.

Some interesting information in there (365 litres one-way) and some nice pix, too, of a trail I thoroughly enjoyed riding.

After a round trip to HH, what kind of maintenance is required on the equipment ?

It just had a major service recently so not too much maintenance

I dumped in a few cans of fuel when I left but was probably 30-40 liters from full, so actually was realisticly 330-340 liters used. The snow was deep for most of the way and was hard going so I did burn a lot of fuel. Only used about 260 on the way back.

I brough it in the shop when returning so it could melt down and spent a few hours yesterday checking it over.

Air locker line broken from too much ice build up (always breaks when you need it)

Crack in blade (plowing rocky sections on powerline near HH to fill holes)

One blown idler wheel seal (use lots of these)

No damaged idler wheels :D $500 a pop and we blew a few last year.

replace some melted switches that I had bypassed previously.

all in all, made out pretty good.

She just headed back out on the trail to groom D north to Dubreuilville.

It just had a major service recently so not too much maintenance

I dumped in a few cans of fuel when I left but was probably 30-40 liters from full, so actually was realisticly 330-340 liters used. The snow was deep for most of the way and was hard going so I did burn a lot of fuel. Only used about 260 on the way back.

I brough it in the shop when returning so it could melt down and spent a few hours yesterday checking it over.

Air locker line broken from too much ice build up (always breaks when you need it)

Crack in blade (plowing rocky sections on powerline near HH to fill holes)

One blown idler wheel seal (use lots of these)

No damaged idler wheels :D $500 a pop and we blew a few last year.

replace some melted switches that I had bypassed previously.

all in all, made out pretty good.

All from one run.....is it a Polaris? :poke:

:woot:

Thanks again.

great job Jonesy, thanks for all you do. About the fuel, does your club truck your own fuel in to halfway, or do they bring it in for you?

Halfway actually has a fuel truck deliver fuel there. Must be quite the delivery, I think they have to put chains on it.

Halfway also donates some fuel to the club to make the trip less painfull for us.

great job Jonesy, thanks for all you do. About the fuel, does your club truck your own fuel in to halfway, or do they bring it in for you?

Halfway actually has a fuel truck deliver fuel there. Must be quite the delivery, I think they have to put chains on it.

Halfway also donates some fuel to the club to make the trip less painfull for us.

I knew they trucked in gasoline, but if he is trucking in fuel, that is pretty cool........I'm sure that run's on diesel, correct.

I knew they trucked in gasoline, but if he is trucking in fuel, that is pretty cool........I'm sure that run's on diesel, correct.

The whole joint is off the grid (and under the hydro :wtf: ) so a fuel delivery is never far off. :banghead:

The whole joint is off the grid (and under the hydro :wtf: ) so a fuel delivery is never far off. :banghead:

well that shows how bright I am, I was sittin here racking my brain trying to think what they would use diesel for. They probably run a diesel genny eh?

Have you ever been under a hydro line ? I wonder if they could induct some hydro ?

Have you ever been under a hydro line ?

I hope your not asking me this? :coffeespit:

I wonder if they could induct some hydro ?

{Just trying to git this thread onto a second page so that I don't hafta wait 30 seconds each time while all those pics load... :poke: }

I have heard/tell that you can stick one end of a flourescent bulb in the ground under a big hydro such as that and git it to light up.

To what degree I don't know? But they say that it works. :wtf:

Archived