WTF is going on in Penetanguishene???

Domino

Can we get fax and e-mail adress for the Town.

The issue is with the town not the club.

the town gets gas tax $$ from the fed's

we had an similar issue with Kaspukasing a few year ago and we did fax anf e-mail our concern to the town and made them change their decision.

I remember that one,the new sod in front of the town sign at the train station got tore up!!They were going to close the whole trail along the hwy. :argue:

$8.00 $80.00 $800.00 ???

No club should be paying any amount to fix a road. It is a well established fact that what we pay at the pumps and on our validation tags, goes to repair and maintain roads, bridges and the like. It is also a dangerous precedent to hand over a cheque to the municipality this year or any year. Today it's $800.00 (or whatever for arguments sake), then next year it's $8000.00. Pay it once freely and it establishes precedent that is likely never to be reversed. The township will keep coming back time and time again for whatever they deem is the costs to repair. It's like admitting guilt.

Sledders should be flooding the town council meetings and demand to be heard.

$8.00 $80.00 $800.00 ???

No club should be paying any amount to fix a road...It is also a dangerous precedent to hand over a cheque to the municipality this year or any year. Today it's $800.00 (or whatever for arguments sake), then next year it's $8000.00. Pay it once freely and it establishes precedent that is likely never to be reversed. The township will keep coming back time and time again for whatever they deem is the costs to repair. It's like admitting guilt.

Fred, I think that was the gist of the item in the Main Trail.

Question for anyone familiar w/ the crossing in question:

Is it @ the pavement/shoulder junction that is being damaged? Or the paved surface? I think we've all seen some crossings over the years that see a lot of traffic & they don't require pavement repairs.

Probably a municipality trying to squeeze out some revenue from a entity they figure will roll over & pay up.

$800 bucks that's 4 permits, they need to pull there head out of there butts and do the right thing. they are acting like it's there money. if this is the case

***edited for bad language by moderator

:crazy: You know what guys, it was a knee-jerk, BS thread like this along with horse crap reactions like the one I've quoted that had me walk away from this forum for a couple of years 2 years ago.

Did you ever stop to think that they're treating that $800 like its your money Mr. Superlative. Maybe they're in a position where paying this sum is just the tip of the iceberg. You're entitled to your opinions but this stuff is crap. I don't know any more about the circumstances of this story than you guys do. How about showing these VOLUNTEERS some respect until the facts become evident.

That's great we have really missed you here. Do you have something worthwhile to add?...

Like you say:

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!"

Our club has seen shoulder and pavement damage at a Waterloo Regional Road crossing where the same crossing has been used for many many years. Someone in the club was asked about paying for the road damage at the crossing by a regional employee and their response was that snowmobilers pay provincial license stickers and fuel taxes just like cars and trucks so that is where the repair costs should be paid from.

The region did pave the worn crossing area this summer and to my knowledge the club has not been contacted again.

Article from last week's Bracebridge Examiner:

http://www.muskoka-news.com/article/152606

Thanks Revrnd.

The article sums it up.

I guess Dock Lunch (ice access) benefits from this. Shell station at edge of town (towards Conc. 11) is out of luck, as are 'in town' eateries.

This will cost the town in the long run. Nothing is better for a municipality than inner city commerce. If they think rolling up the sidewalks is good for a town, they are naive. Elected, but naive.

Thanks also Revrnd... It's something every club should be aware of as it's happening more and more all the time..Maybe someone needs to do an economic study to ascertain the financial impact snowmobiling has on this community. I was on a committee several years ago that was virtually forced to do one to support our communtiy fishing derby (aka Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular) 3.5 mill over 10 days... Maybe these are the sort of numbers some near sighted elected type persons need to see.

We have ridden Midland area for many years and every year a trail seems to close or be re-routed somewhere. Looks like lots of other areas are having some kind of issues with trails. Houses are going up everywhere, people that don't sled always cry about something, sleds are too loud too close to my home it's wrecking my road or sidewalk, they smell. lets face reality here people trails are going to close due to whatever excuse they can find, these areas used to be called up north now they are someone's full time home ($$$$$$$$$) no matter which way we look at soon we while have no choice but to head further and further to get a ride in. When I first starting riding (up north?) in the 80's snowmobile was a way of life people loved that you were there to spend a buck now (not everywhere) most people couldn't give a rat's ass. Ever try Riding through Collingwood? I could go on and on but things are changing and probably not for the sledder.

Maybe if we got enough snow we could start a blockage and take over the 401 like others do. something has to be done or were going to be pushed out.

Lets not forget that cars in Ontario cannot have studs on paved roads even though they pay road taxes as well...so what is the real issue? sleds crossing the road or use of studs?

Can too . Us in Northern ontario are allowed studs in our vehicles .

So when we go down to Penatang. Are we suppose to drop off a stud fee ad da municipal office eh. You know for driving on them roads of ours-- theres.

Tay,Tiny, Town of Midland,Penatang need to give there head a shake. They have lost a good part of there industrial base. Try making a living there.

$800 bucks that's 4 permits, they need to pull there head out of there butts and do the right thing. they are acting like it's there money. if this is the case

***edited for bad language by moderator

:crazy: You know what guys, it was a knee-jerk, BS thread like this along with horse crap reactions like the one I've quoted that had me walk away from this forum for a couple of years 2 years ago.

Did you ever stop to think that they're treating that $800 like its your money Mr. Superlative. Maybe they're in a position where paying this sum is just the tip of the iceberg. You're entitled to your opinions but this stuff is crap. I don't know any more about the circumstances of this story than you guys do. How about showing these VOLUNTEERS some respect until the facts become evident.

That's great we have really missed you here. Do you have something worthwhile to add?...

Like you say:

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!"

:hugs: Thanks for the warm welcome Agent Orange

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO Y'A

$8.00 $80.00 $800.00 ???

No club should be paying any amount to fix a road...It is also a dangerous precedent to hand over a cheque to the municipality this year or any year. Today it's $800.00 (or whatever for arguments sake), then next year it's $8000.00. Pay it once freely and it establishes precedent that is likely never to be reversed. The township will keep coming back time and time again for whatever they deem is the costs to repair. It's like admitting guilt.

Fred, I think that was the gist of the item in the Main Trail.

Question for anyone familiar w/ the crossing in question:

Is it @ the pavement/shoulder junction that is being damaged? Or the paved surface? I think we've all seen some crossings over the years that see a lot of traffic & they don't require pavement repairs.

Probably a municipality trying to squeeze out some revenue from a entity they figure will roll over & pay up.

Sorry..missed that.

Our club has seen shoulder and pavement damage at a Waterloo Regional Road crossing where the same crossing has been used for many many years.

Waterloo Region eh? Have you ever taken a good look at the damage a horse and buggy does to a road? (Old Order Mennonite country for those that are wondering) I'm not sure what kind of fee's they pay, if any.

I agree, with the amount of fuel these things use (well most of them) that should help pay for damages.Or else we shouldnt be paying road tax on our fuel... :poke: Next thing they will be banning studs... :wtf:

I agree, with the amount of fuel these things use (well most of them) that should help pay for damages.Or else we shouldnt be paying road tax on our fuel... :poke: Next thing they will be banning studs... :wtf:

Take away my studs and OHIP will dish out more than any road damage I can do.

Too many roads are paved in Tiny and Tay Township.

Back in the day, concession roads were gravel, with an occasional 'oiling' if you were lucky.

They pave it (at great expense) then complain about wear and tear.

Thanks also Revrnd... It's something every club should be aware of as it's happening more and more all the time..Maybe someone needs to do an economic study to ascertain the financial impact snowmobiling has on this community. I was on a committee several years ago that was virtually forced to do one to support our communtiy fishing derby (aka Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular) 3.5 mill over 10 days... Maybe these are the sort of numbers some near sighted elected type persons need to see.

They need to take notes from Wasaga Beach. They have modified bylaws recently to make the town more appealing to snowmobiles. The mayor was quoted as saying that they recognize the economic benefits snowmobilers bring to the community and want them to feel welcome.

Unfortunatley that tact won't work. Some of us are old enough to remember when you used to be able to get a rebate on the money spent for fuel for your boat since it didn't impact the roads. That has been long gone. Government give back money they don't have to. :rotflmao:

Archived