WTF is going on in Penetanguishene???

Domino

I just heard on the news that the trails in Penetanguishene are open but the club is refusing to maintain the trails due to a dispute with the township over road damages in the amount of $800 for damage the last two seasons.

Anyone have any information? Do we now have a club punishing sledders to fight local government???

:banghead::banghead:

hopefully there is more to it then 800 bucks,,,,,wow,petty. :banghead:

I just heard about this yesterday. It is because the town wants the clubs to repair the pavement on the roads where the trail crosses over. The studs on the sleds are digging out the pavement and leaving quite a "rut" in the road. I also heard that sleds are no longer allowed to run any road in Penetang ..including on the shoulder to access gas, etc.. If there is anyone that can shed some light on this subject it would be appreciated as this is one of my main areas of sledding!

$800 bucks that's 4 permits, they need to pull there head out of there butts and do the right thing. they are acting like it's there money. if this is the case

***edited for bad language by moderator

$800 bucks that's 4 permits, they need to pull there head out of there butts and do the right thing. they are acting like it's there money. if this is the case

:crazy: You know what guys, it was a knee-jerk, BS thread like this along with horse crap reactions like the one I've quoted that had me walk away from this forum for a couple of years 2 years ago.

Did you ever stop to think that they're treating that $800 like its your money Mr. Superlative. Maybe they're in a position where paying this sum is just the tip of the iceberg. You're entitled to your opinions but this stuff is crap. I don't know any more about the circumstances of this story than you guys do. How about showing these VOLUNTEERS some respect until the facts become evident.

It is just the tip of the iceberg. These towns bring in mega thousands off of sledding (property taxes ,business taxes etc. ) and are nickel and dimeing the clubs to death. The best way to get thier attention is by flooding a council meeting with sledders and writing letters. As for the aledged $800.00 (I had heard much more ) when you don't have enough to do what you need to do every bit hurts.

The club receives far far less than the he sticker of a permit. $800 to my club would cause serious damage. We go around Owen Sound because sledders are not really welcome here even though we've hosted the Georgian Cup for how many years..enough said

The club receives far far less than the he sticker of a permit. $800 to my club would cause serious damage. We go around Owen Sound because sledders are not really welcome here even though we've hosted the Georgian Cup for how many years..enough said

non-friendly sled towns are on my avoid list,,,,but hard to convince them elsewise when one incident is all they need to make a point.Soo Michigan did a trial last year and opened the roads up to sleds,and all was going good till this years crash that killed a young female passenger,,,,,why people feel they need to speed through town is beyond me,,,,, :angry::angry:

$800 bucks that's 4 permits, they need to pull there head out of there frigen ass and do the right thing. they are acting like it's there money. if this is the case

:crazy: You know what guys, it was a knee-jerk, BS thread like this along with horse crap reactions like the one I've quoted that had me walk away from this forum for a couple of years 2 years ago.

Did you ever stop to think that they're treating that $800 like its your money Mr. Superlative. Maybe they're in a position where paying this sum is just the tip of the iceberg. You're entitled to your opinions but this stuff is crap. I don't know any more about the circumstances of this story than you guys do. How about showing these VOLUNTEERS some respect until the facts become evident.

This forum is provided for snowmobilers to get information, provide updates and discuss issues in the sledding world. I welcome the correct information from the clubs involved in issues like these. Better that, then seeing it on the news!! This thread was a plea for more information.

This forum actually has a high percentage of volunteers, unlike most others. I would suggest using it to your advantage....

ok my club the Baxter Snow Riders the most southern club of District 7 meets up with the club trails Georgian Bay Snow Riders of District 8. From who I have spoken with the issue lies with every road crossing where the trail cross the paved roads. First it was $1500 the town was putting on the club for repairs now its $800. Some one tried comparing the price too permits , nice try and if you want to blame and flame a club who doesn't have the money to through around then you can pound salt ! The club is holding there ground on this issue because just like every sledder in Ontario they must buy a Validation sticker from those stickers come what's called a Gas Tax , from a Gas tax comes road costs and repairs which we are already paying for.

So why doesn't the club pay the little fee the town is pressuring them to pay , because the Gas Tax covers damages and repairs.

The road crossings in town are all snow fenced off you can't cross , your cut off.

If you remember a couple years back the GBSR were forced to reroute C trail from the Hole in the wall at hwy 12 at Hoggs bay out to the ice at Henrys fish and chips , reason for this the club was blamed for damages too the newly paved section of the Multi use trail , and were being asked to pay $190,000 in damages. It actually wasn't the clubs fault and in fact was caused by townships heavy equipment. The ashphalt was paved to thin.

Anyways I'm frankly getting really tired of people on here jumping the gun and ready to blame a club and its Volunteers who put enough sweat equity into providing you folks with somewhere to ride.

I don't have all the facts and answers but at least I take the time to ask the clubs and see if I can help , rather than piss on them !

Yukon,

THANKS! That makes more sense then what is portrayed on the news. It brings up the issue of snowmobiles paying road taxes through validation stickers and gasoline.

This is what I was looking for. Any more information anyone??

is it the way i type ,or is this a misss under standing. i never insinuated that the club pays this. it must be cause i don't hyphen and period thing properly. and as far as people jumping down my back, i put just as many hrs in volunteering on the trails as anyone on this forum.

thanks

Yukon,

THANKS! That makes more sense then what is portrayed on the news. It brings up the issue of snowmobiles paying road taxes through validation stickers and gasoline.

Sure all kinds of info right here.

Contact Information Georgian Bay Snowriders P.O. Box 683 Midland,On.L4R4P4 info@gbsr.on.ca                               

Remember they are just volunteers like the rest of us and they may not get back to you right away but I'm sure they will given the holidays and the likelyhood of them getting bombarded be patient.

Hey why not extend a invite to oc to post in their own forum ?

i got a question, don't someone that buys a permit have as much right to bitch even though they don't volunteer? i know as a volunteer i seen plenty of sled tracks on our trails today."no i was not on my sled, i was in my truck". but i was pissed that they were on the trails. but I'm sure they are just as pissed that the trails aren't open yet.

Yukon,

Contact Information Georgian Bay Snowriders P.O. Box 683 Midland,On.L4R4P4 info@gbsr.on.ca                               

Remember they are just volunteers like the rest of us and they may not get back to you right away but I'm sure they will given the holidays and the likelyhood of them getting bombarded be patient.

That's a great idea Yukon. I will do that. Their website is currently down because somebody did not renew it.

Sure people Beep all the time , its human nature. But as a club Volunteer yourself Lucky2 do you just roll over and take it or would you take acception to someone slamming your club ? I know that I will listen to everyones views and opinions , but if they really want to express the opinions and make a diference then they really need to contact the club. Beeping gets us knowwhere actions speak louder than words.

As Trail Patrol you should know you are aloud to be on closed trails , to enforce the tresspass act. Us TP are acting agents on behalf of the landowner.

As for volunteers being on closed trails with our club they need permission from the executive ( which I also hold a position with ) to be there , as we know where you can or can't go , winter wheat , swamps , Livestock out to pasture many many reasons.

I just spent the day breaking C-trail north with other members of the club , packing , filling in holes , breaking open swamp for the cold we are about to receive. Trail prep just doesn't happen , we can't get the groomer in until these tasks are done.

For the average Joe riding closed trails , insurance won't cover them.

Liability.

Yukon,

That's a great idea Yukon. I will do that. Their website is currently down because somebody did not renew it.

:( Email no worky since there domain is expired.....

thanks paul, we were staking again today.

and for those who are on the trails in hillsburgh , there is going to be a blitz sometime this week, don't know when but i know its this week. and from now to the trails open, so better play smart and stay to **** off the trails :wavey:

The site was up the other day.

Try getting the contact info from their grooming association.

MOST Office info@most.on.ca  Local Phone: (705) 322-7669Toll Free: (800) 347-7220Fax: (705) 322-5955on.ca Address: 10 Yonge Street S., Unit 2Elmvale, OntarioL0L 1P0

C-trail was packed by the groomer before the warm up out near Factory rec and out to 93 couldn't see anything else but I'd imagine they covered the trails 303 down to Cedar Pointe , I think they may just be avoiding the downtown core of the Tang !

Just my assumption !

The site was up the other day.

Try getting the contact info from their grooming association.

MOST Office info@most.on.ca  Local Phone: (705) 322-7669Toll Free: (800) 347-7220Fax: (705) 322-5955on.ca Address: 10 Yonge Street S., Unit 2Elmvale, OntarioL0L 1P0

C-trail was packed by the groomer before the warm up out near Factory rec and out to 93 couldn't see anything else but I'd imagine they covered the trails 303 down to Cedar Pointe , I think they may just be avoiding the downtown core of the Tang !

Just my assumption !

It just expired on December 24th.

Can we get fax and e-mail adress for the Town.

The issue is with the town not the club.

the town gets gas tax $$ from the fed's

we had an similar issue with Kaspukasing a few year ago and we did fax anf e-mail our concern to the town and made them change their decision.

Archived